View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 40 Years of The Fall ; A year by year best of thing

Post #201 - 16 Mar 2019, 11:36

Sonofsmegma » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:17 am wrote:
dannynomates » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:13 am wrote:
routemaster » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:44 pm wrote:
dannynomates » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:40 pm wrote:
routemaster » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:32 pm wrote:I have been talking to an English teacher who assures me that both MES' and MES's are correct grammar, in the context mentioned earlier. :huh:

Dannynomates can therefore fuck off back to his library where he can attempt to place books alphabetically on a shelf. :wanker:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/punct ... apostrophe

I would refer your English teacher to the section entitled "Personal names that end in –s" on this web page.

routemaster warned for mod abuse, profanity, and disparaging librarians in general.

Dan

I forgot you Google everything. :rolleyes:

four two months

Dan

:wanker:

Well spotted SoS. :)

You're still a cunt of course. :huh:
routemaster
On The Buses

Grade A triple platinum cunt Image

Post #202 - 22 Mar 2019, 23:32

Look, there are no images of The Fall c2000, MES having a smoke in Hyde Park that year will have to do. :huh:

An interesting year. No single release, but one hell of an album! The Unutterable was released in November, following a run of what can only be described as shambolic live shows. MES would have, on more than one occasion, turn up much the worse for wear, and all too often Julia would not turn up at all. Attendance at the gigs dwindled, so what would they do in attempt to recoup some credibility and more importantly, some dosh? Get Grant Showbiz in of course to produce the latest opus. :clap: I was still out of the fold at the time, but when I finally heard it, I was astonished. It opens with 'Cyber Insekt', a frantically fast song full of synths and incomprehensible lyrics concerning yellow moth flies on a station book rack. I assumed the backing vocals were Julia's, but not so, it's Kazuko Hohki of Frank Chickens, Grant's missus. :) 'Two Librans' next is less synthy, more guitar led with a terrific riff for the chorus. Oprah Winfrey and bees are mentioned, she studied them as you do. 'WB' is the third track, slowing things down a touch. I think the guitar in this and the last track highlight what a decent and varied performer Nev Wilding was, and a lovely synth line adds to the ambience here too. Apparently most of the lyrics are from a William Blake poem. WB, geddit? Track four 'Sons Of Temperance' is faster again, choppy guitars and an MES attempt at falsetto in the slowed down chorus are of note. Next up is 'Dr Buck's Letter', a deep dark bass runs things here while a plaintive guitar introduces us to a future Fall member Ben Pritchard who guests on this album. The song is excellent, and amusing as MES lists his daily 'must have' requirements, chuckling as he mentions his Amex card - "They made such a fuss giving it to me, but I spent more time getting it turned down." Another return to money troubles? :wtf: 'Hot Runes' follows, a short sharp swing beat tune that reminds me of Summer. Not essential, but most pleasant. 'Way Round' darkens things again, a heavy synth number concerning roundabouts and MES's (fuck you dannynomates) inability to get round them. It's weird and brilliant. 'Octo Realm/Ketamine Sun' opens with the group/associates(?) introducing themselves as peculiarly named characters, Spliffhead, Schooly, Smith, that sort of thing, before MES does a lofi spoken word section leading to the main track. And that main track is a slow ketamine induced ramble somehow seeming to be anti drug, while all the time we know MES is off his tits on it. An amazingly made up work cleverly nicked from Lou Reed's 'Kill Your Sons' . :) Next (it's a long album) is 'Serum', whatever the "101.1" repetition is all about doesn't matter, the magnificent Tom Head drumming most certainly does. Let's wind it up, if there's one gripe some closing tracks are not needed so, the title track is a lofo noodle, 'Pumpkin Soup and Mashed Potatoes' is an attempt at jazz that while OK doesn't fit here, 'Hands Up Billy' is a garage rock number featuring MES buggering off for a smoke leaving Neville to do the vocals, and 'Midwatch 1953' is simply atrociously gash. Closing the album we have 'Devolute', an astonishing piece with MES's dual vocals ranting out of each speaker simultaneously in front of a classic Julia synth. There are no drums or bass or guitar to interupt this. Towards the end MES's vocals turn to a single track mumble, heaven alone knows what it's all about but it's mesmerising. And finally 'Das Katerer', formerly 'The Caterer' on one of MES's spoken word LPs, it credits Funky Si yet again as the main riff is from 'Free Range'. A cool techno number to close the album. :)

How can I pick a favourite? :( OK, I'm going for the opener 'Cyber Insekt', it seems to epitomise the feel of the whole album - "Julia's album" I think I heard it referred to once. Mrs RM bought me this after I rediscovered The Fall in 2005, apparently when I first played it through my headphones, I was grinning like a Cheshire cat all the way through. Apart from during 'Midwatch'. :lol:

phpBB [video]

On a bit of a downer though, the album sold poorly, not the big seller I think it was supposed to be and probably down to the dreadful live acts putting prospective buyers off. Where would The Fall go from here? :shrug:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #203 - 23 Mar 2019, 07:28

This is really good, so much better than Greasy Roads' curt descriptions of Fall singles. It even looks like you've proof read it for a change. :clap:
Amber
Members

Post #204 - 23 Mar 2019, 09:13

Amber » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:28 am wrote:This is really good, so much better than Greasy Roads' curt descriptions of Fall singles. It even looks like you've proof read it for a change. :clap:

Thank you for following these Amber, glad you're still enjoying them. Don't be too hard on Greasy Roads though, his reviews are great and he doesn't ramble so much. How's the pregnancy going? :)
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #205 - 23 Mar 2019, 09:19

routemaster » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:13 am wrote:
Amber » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:28 am wrote:This is really good, so much better than Greasy Roads' curt descriptions of Fall singles. It even looks like you've proof read it for a change. :clap:

Thank you for following these Amber, glad you're still enjoying them. Don't be too hard on Greasy Roads though, his reviews are great and he doesn't ramble so much. How's the pregnancy going? :)

You know very well how it's going. :zipped:
Amber
Members

Post #206 - 23 Mar 2019, 09:21

Amber » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:19 am wrote:

Amber, ignore my previous post there, you spelt "cunt" wrong and his reviews are shit. :grrr:

...and it's not my sprog. :angry:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #207 - 23 Mar 2019, 09:31

routemaster » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:21 am wrote:
Amber » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:19 am wrote:

...and it's not my sprog. :angry:

:grrr:
Amber
Members

Post #208 - 30 Mar 2019, 11:35

"We are the new Mr & Mrs Smith..."

Another transitional year with a host of line-up changes, for whatever reason (I suspect non payment of wages) late 2000/early 2001 saw Tom Head, Nev Wilding and Adam Helal depart, replaced by Spencer Birtwistle, Ben Pritchard and Jim Watts respectively. Later in the year Ed Blaney and Brian Fanning would also join for live and studio guitar work. Julia would depart in the summer effectively leaving a keyboardless Fall. :wtf:

A curious single to start with, not an official release, but given away free to subscribers of Flitwick Records. 'Rude All The Time' was an abysmal Smith and Blaney acoustic duet, recorded in Ed's house. It was as far as possible away from last years lushly produced Unutterable. The b-side 'I Wake Up In The City' was better, but recorded so loud as to distort the sound, a shame because there was some decent music being played there, and an MES smokers cough to, erm, die for. :D

The new album 'Are You Are (sic) Missing Winner' followed. Cashflow was so dire at this point that copies were sold at gigs a month or so before release presumably to fund the beer tabs. Opening track 'Jim's "The Fall" ' is a loud vibrant song proclaiming the arrival of the new Fall group and their statement of intent in no uncertain terms. 'Bourgeois Town' next is a version of Leadbelly's 1937 blues hit 'The Bourgeois Blues'. It's nothing like the original of course, which spoke of a black family's unhappiness at trying to fit in in a new city, but similarly themed, and is a cracking tune. Even more compelling is track three, 'Crop Dust'. This one is dark, heavy and menacing, a fantastic song still with that touch of un-produced distortion, but that adds to the feel. I'm sure I can hear three guitar lines in there. The ending is odd as it fades out, then fades in again before coming to a sudden abrupt stop. So far so good then, three excellent songs. 'My Ex Classmate's Kids' is less successful. It's a re-make of 'I Wake Up...' with new lyrics (incidentally I'm ignoring lyrics as they are by now virtually incomprehensible), but the volume is cranked up even higher, so a decent enough song is ruined, especially at the end when it all becomes unlistenable. MES said at the time that "the last LP was very polished, this one is much rawer." He wasn't wrong. :rolleyes: 'Kick The Can' is one of those two parters like 'Bad News Girl', the first part being slow and pondering with some very nice chord changes, the second faster and less ominous, not a bad song and often segued with 'F-'Oldin' Money' when played live. Moving on, we come to another cover version, 'Gotta See Jane' originally by R Dean Taylor is not exceptional and not a patch on 'Ghost In My House' if that was the idea. And then the madness takes hold. :D 'Ibis Afro Man' is a take on Iggy Pop's 'African Man' and is truly dire. Beginning with a slow but ever increasing pace with muddy lumpy guitars, it soon merges into an unholy noise of monkeys screeching and is quite horrible to listen to. After what seems like ages, a live rendition kicks in which is mercifully an improvement and features some welcome keyboard relief from Julia before she jumped ship. Avoid this song at all costs though. :( 'The Acute' is next, co-written with Fanning, it is crap but thankfully short. 'Hollow Mind' is similar but with a few more flourishes, and the tempo goes up a notch towards the end. If they'd played that tempo from the start and upped it a notch further midway, it would have been reasonably entertaining. Finally 'Reprise: Jane - Prof Mick - Ey Bastardo' is offered as the closing track. What a fucking shambles. With the basic percussion beat from 'Gotta See Jane', and MES employing some sort of sub-Spanish accent to berate drummer Birtwistle ("Spen is a bastardo" ) amongst others, it starts off before coming to an abrupt halt for no reason. There is several seconds of silence before it comes back in, and this cut'n'paste method is repeated several times before it settles down to another take on 'Jane'. It really is the piss-take to end all piss-takes. So a most confusing album overall, the opening tracks so good despite the production issues , before ideas run out and it disappears up it's own arse. I need to pick my missing winner. :shrug:

It's gotta be 'Crop Dust', of all the great opening tracks here, this one comes closest to a bona-fide Fall classic. :)

phpBB [video]

Incidentally there were a couple of other songs recorded in 2001 that didn't make the album, I'm saving them for 2002 when they finally got a release, and for other reasons that will become clear. Will 2002 prove to be a return to some sort of sanity though? :shrug:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #209 - 31 Mar 2019, 07:22

Oooh, this is so good routemaster. :clap:
Amber
Members

Post #210 - 31 Mar 2019, 07:56

Amber » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:22 am wrote:Oooh, this is so good routemaster. :clap:

Thank you Amber. It took me two days to post up after deleting the bloody lot accidentally the first time, then I had to make several edits for factual errors. At least 2002 will be easier. :lol:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #211 - 04 Apr 2019, 22:54

Dare I say another transitional year? For that is what it was, the group having lost drummer Spencer Birtwistle late in 2001, replaced by Dave Milner. Also in time for a curious "Greatest Hits" gig at Blackburn in September, filmed and released for posterity, a warm welcome to the new Mrs MES, Eleni Poulou on keyboards. :)

Much gigging took place, but only a single was on offer studio wise, plus a couple of tracks I mentioned from 2001 that finally got an airing via one of those part live part studio LPs The Fall now and then release. 2G+2 wasn't a bad live document but did smack of treading water. The single 'Susan Vs Youthclub' went out late in the year, and it's one that passed me by a bit even after I'd returned to the fold, which still wasn't quite yet. Once more then, what does a group do after such a low point in a career, despite last years half decent album? Rope in Grant Showbiz of course. 'SVY' was a delicious slab of electro, MES employing his best Dalek voice and Eleni adding her Greek/Germanic backing vox along with her later to become trademark keyboard work, it was a massive step forward from the unproduced chaos a year ago. B-side 'Janet vs Johnny' was more subdued, an embryonic version of another song that would appear fully fledged the following year. 'SVY Remix' closed the single, much like the remix of 'Masquerade', it was a juicy electro splurge of cut up MES vocal lines along with 'Loop 41' as the main backing tune, 'Loop 41' being the opening tape recording heard at many gigs of the era as well as a segue with another song on next years album. Of the spare 2001 songs, 'New Formation Sermon' was an out take from the AWAMW sessions, the drum and bassline suspiciously like the Reprise/Jane/Ed/ Bastardo thing from that album, while adding a quiant c&w rockabilly style guitar. It all went fine but ran out of steam after just two minutes. 'Distilled Mug Art' wasn't any better, a guitar line from 'The Acute' which was iffy in the first place, all muffled and lofi. It's almost Spanish in feel, but no groundbreaker. :mellow:

I ramble, there's no contest this year, 'SVY' is the one and MES even tells a legible story here. Sort of. And it was, all in all, synthy and warm! :grin:

phpBB [video]

Things would get much easier next year I think. :huh:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #212 - 05 Apr 2019, 06:09

Ooh this is wonderful stuff routemaster. Do you have a crush on Grant Showbiz? :mellow:
Amber
Members

Post #213 - 05 Apr 2019, 07:37

Amber » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:09 am wrote:Ooh this is wonderful stuff routemaster. Do you have a crush on Grant Showbiz? :mellow:

For a retweet, I might have. :)
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #214 - 05 Apr 2019, 08:19

routemaster » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:37 am wrote:
Amber » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:09 am wrote:Ooh this is wonderful stuff routemaster. Do you have a crush on Grant Showbiz? :mellow:

For a retweet, I might have. :)

:clap:
StickupPercy
Members

Post #215 - 14 Apr 2019, 23:07

MES bemoans the fact HMV stock Ella Fitzgerald over Aqua. :wtf:

A very strange year. The new album 'Country On The Click' was to be out in the Spring, but due to an internet leak and MES' dislike of the mix following Jim Watts and Grant Showbiz's knob twiddling, 'The Real New Fall LP' was finally remixed and reassembled in the Autumn. Whether this upset caused Jim to flounce I do not know, but he buggered off and Simon "Dingo" Archer came in on bass for live duties this year. Jim's work was left on the revamped album it seems. It's all very confusing. :shrug:

And it was a bloody good album too. Opening with 'Green Eyed Loco Man', a storming performance only slightly marred by one of those wall of sound productions - the electronica pretty well drowning out the tuneful bass and guitar, live and on the Peel session it was a monster. 'Mountain Energei' next was an old Dave Milner song that MES nicked and made his own, a routine rant about cash flow, it features spooky keyboards from Eleni and a fine bassline from Jim. Bouncy and quirky. Track three will be familiar to all viewers of Final Score back in the mid 2000's - 'Theme From Sparta FC' was used in the introduction to that programme, and no doubt recouped some losses from previous years. A good thing, and also a great track that proves once again The Fall can write a pop song. Eleni sings some lines in Greek. :wub: 'Contraflow' is next, as close to garage rock as this album allows, it's fast and incessantly good. One of the tracks that got the most out of a remodel, the original featured some very spooky vocals and electronics, far removed from this final mix. The weirdly titled 'Last Commands Of Xyralothep Via MES' follows, a fantastic song that builds in volume and performance via fast guitars and drumming before a scream of synth joins on midway. Again the subject matter seems to be monetary, words from the wise suggesting not to trust suits from Vauxhall following insufficient royalties from the old Corsa advert. :mellow: 'Open The Boxoctosis' next, possibly the least memorable here and featuring some dire backing vox, worse in original COTC form. 'Janet Johnny & James' is much better, a new take on 'Janet vs Johnny' from last years single, this one is a pleasant acoustic number courtesy of Ben Pritchard who's OK at that sort of thing. 'The Past #2' is sort of a giveaway that this is a major revamp of the original which was a guitar based two minutes, here it is simply keyboards and drums, but nothing spectacular. Time for a cover version, this year it's an old Lee Hazlewood tune 'Houston', or 'Loop 41 Houston' here as it includes that loop from the live shows and the basis of the remixed 'Susan vs Youthclub' as an intro. The song itself is a fine rendition of the original, no fucking about apart from making it slightly more upbeat. Moving on, a darker song 'Mike's Love Xexagon' that too was vastly changed from the original, here it features a heavy staccato guitar line with some annoying backing vox that kind of upset what might have been a great song. Some clever keyboards do redeem it. 'Proteinprotection' is another garage rock type ditty, some cool guitar chords are of note. Finally 'Recovery Kit' is an electronic masterpiece, not all (if much) Eleni's work, but a luscious synth lead track with a deep bassline and a subdued MES vocal line, it is a fine closing track indeed.

There was a curious single release for Xmas. 'We Wish You A Protein Xmas' was simply a remake of 'Proteinprotection' (that's a twat to type) with added Xmassy lyrics, so not exactly essential. 'We Are Mod Mock Goth' was most un-Xmassy, a tune devoid of drums and with MES back to his Dalek vocal, it was very strange but somehow wonderful when it shouldn't have been. Ignore 'Birtwistle's Girl In Shop' - it's awful. MES, having seemingly re-employed Spencer Birtwistle, churns out a heavily drunken lyric while Birtwistle adds drums and keyboards. It's terrible. :rolleyes: But 'Recovery Kit #2' redeems things, more or less the same as the original, this one puts the electronica higher in the mix, and as ever is delicious. :)

And so to choose one. Not easy, I rather want 'Recovery Kit' but we had an electro one last time. I'm going for '8 Clothorn Road' as Dave Milner called it, AKA 'Mountain Energei' for it's infectious quality, I've been humming the fucker all week. :clap:

phpBB [video]

So we're all sorted now, things will be easier now won't they? :)
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #216 - 15 Apr 2019, 02:43

Girl in Shop is a classic. Pity, it seemed like you didn’t have cloth ears, given the apparent sensitivity of severbal observations you’ve made. But coupled with your error about the entirely lucid Reprise: Jane - Prof Mick - Ey Bastardo (btw it goes ‘Sven is a bastard-O’) I wonder if perhaps you were listening from the opposite end of your estate from where your Hifi speakers are.

And you’re wrong about Pumpkin Soup as well, it comes in beautifully at that point of the album :rant:
FlowerCake
Members

I mean to help you.

Post #217 - 15 Apr 2019, 06:35

routemaster » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:07 am wrote:Eleni sings some lines on Greek.

Do you ever read this stuff after you've written it?

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #218 - 15 Apr 2019, 07:51

dannynomates » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:35 am wrote:

Dan

Check the time of posting. Take into account I'm six days into eight at work equating to almost 90 hours. Then fuck off. :angry:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #219 - 15 Apr 2019, 07:54

FlowerCake » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:43 am wrote:Girl in Shop is a classic. Pity, it seemed like you didn’t have cloth ears, given the apparent sensitivity of severbal observations you’ve made. But coupled with your error about the entirely lucid Reprise: Jane - Prof Mick - Ey Bastardo (btw it goes ‘Sven is a bastard-O’) I wonder if perhaps you were listening from the opposite end of your estate from where your Hifi speakers are.

And you’re wrong about Pumpkin Soup as well, it comes in beautifully at that point of the album :rant:

:cry2:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #220 - 15 Apr 2019, 07:58

routemaster » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:51 am wrote:
dannynomates » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:35 am wrote:

Dan

Check the time of posting. Take into account I'm six days into eight at work equating to almost 90 hours. Then fuck off. :angry:

Have you ever thought of becoming a librarian?

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Fallen Related Discussion