View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 What are you doing today?

Post #641 - 22 Mar 2020, 11:34

Greasy Roads » Today, 07:23 wrote:
Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ; » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:11 pm wrote:There were usually 20 or more Morgans coming into the park and I liked seeing them. We also got antique car clubs, or rather, an antique car club, because the elevation and steep road caused many to over heat and conk out. (The 1908 Harley M/C made it all the way - air cooled). Anyway, seeing the Morgans was nice because they USA never produced cars like MGs or Allards or Morgans. (I could only afford a 1955 Studebaker).

Those British sports cars of the post war years right into the eighties were affordable for ordinary people and used to be owned and maintained by enthusiasts. The cheapest car that Morgan manufacture now costs £63,000, and extras can easily bump that up by another third. These are bought by rich twats who want to look as if they own a classic car but have no intention of getting their hands dirty.

I remember - correctly I hope - that MG - TDs and TFs - were less expensive than Morgans but that Morgan had the reputation of being a better car. I could not fit in the driver's seat of a TD because I was too tall.
I was riding with my grandmother on a city street that had the lanes separated by a grassy median strip and a TC came down the hill in the opposite lane and the front wheel came off and shot forward at what seemed to be a faster speed. The TC's axle hit the road surface and sparks flew everywhere. The driver was able to stop it and it didn't flip and the runaway wheel didn't hit anyone. It was quite an event.
Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ;
BOQ Lay Preacher

...before you the wimpled past, behind you the hallooing future...

...Zoom! There goes the gay fuckerteer chasing the tail of light.....

...The habitual myth has an eagerness to quit...

...Visionary Tics Shivering In The Chest...

Post #642 - 22 Mar 2020, 12:31

Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ; » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:34 am wrote:
Greasy Roads » Today, 07:23 wrote:
Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ; » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:11 pm wrote:There were usually 20 or more Morgans coming into the park and I liked seeing them. We also got antique car clubs, or rather, an antique car club, because the elevation and steep road caused many to over heat and conk out. (The 1908 Harley M/C made it all the way - air cooled). Anyway, seeing the Morgans was nice because they USA never produced cars like MGs or Allards or Morgans. (I could only afford a 1955 Studebaker).

Those British sports cars of the post war years right into the eighties were affordable for ordinary people and used to be owned and maintained by enthusiasts. The cheapest car that Morgan manufacture now costs £63,000, and extras can easily bump that up by another third. These are bought by rich twats who want to look as if they own a classic car but have no intention of getting their hands dirty.

I remember - correctly I hope - that MG - TDs and TFs - were less expensive than Morgans but that Morgan had the reputation of being a better car. I could not fit in the driver's seat of a TD because I was too tall.
I was riding with my grandmother on a city street that had the lanes separated by a grassy median strip and a TC came down the hill in the opposite lane and the front wheel came off and shot forward at what seemed to be a faster speed. The TC's axle hit the road surface and sparks flew everywhere. The driver was able to stop it and it didn't flip and the runaway wheel didn't hit anyone. It was quite an event.

It's a generalising but the cars you're talking about in the USA would have been in the $2000-$2500 range in 1960 which is $15,000 - $19,000 in today's money. A Morgan 4/4 was £750 in 1961 in the UK which at 3 dollars to the pound is about the same cash.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Cogito ergo cogito routemaster cunnus est.

Post #643 - 22 Mar 2020, 13:00

That's interesting - thanks; I just had the impression that Morgans were about 50% more costly but that was based only on street talk because there weren't any of them around.
BOQ Lay Preacher

Post #644 - 22 Mar 2020, 13:16

Sonofsmegma » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:34 am wrote:Keeps him busy during the lockdown, though.

Wish they'd lock you down, tie you down, anything to stop you posting here. :grrr:
routemaster
Essential Key Worker

Hit after hit! Image

Southampton 0-9 LCFC - the biggest ever away victory in the 131-year history of the Football League :lcfc:

Post #645 - 25 Mar 2020, 14:12

Just the passenger seat to go back in now.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Post #646 - 25 Mar 2020, 14:21

Looking good! :)

Is the dashboard walnut?
Some (many?) of the Morgans that came to the park had thick leather belts to hold the bonnet(hood) down. Does yours? [Am I confusing this with something else?]
BOQ Lay Preacher

Post #647 - 25 Mar 2020, 15:00

Thank you! :)

The dash is mahogany. A lot of people do have leather bonnet straps but I don't for a couple reasons: firstly they can rub the paintwork and secondly I find they spoil the lines of the car.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Post #648 - 25 Mar 2020, 15:07

Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ; » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:21 pm wrote:Looking good! :)

Is the dashboard walnut?

Hmm, it's an open top car, easy to get into...won't squirrels eat the dashboard, if that is the case? :wtf:
Sonofsmegma
The Smegma Family

If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.

Post #649 - 25 Mar 2020, 15:19

Greasy Roads » 15 minutes ago wrote:Thank you! :)

The dash is mahogany. A lot of people do have leather bonnet straps but I don't for a couple reasons: firstly they can rub the paintwork and secondly I find they spoil the lines of the car.

Thanks for the information. Walnut is considered the best North American wood for furniture and other fine uses so that's why I made that guess. Mahogany is of course better but not native here.
The only mahogany in the house is a model DC-3 painted in the Western Airlines scheme because that's the aircraft I was flown in to go fight forest fires, leaving from Cedar City, Utah, the closest airport.
Anyway, congrats on getting the Morgan back together.
BOQ Lay Preacher

Post #650 - 25 Mar 2020, 15:52

Sonofsmegma » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:07 pm wrote:
Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ; » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:21 pm wrote:Looking good! :)

Is the dashboard walnut?

Hmm, it's an open top car, easy to get into...won't squirrels eat the dashboard, if that is the case? :wtf:

George wouldn't let those little cunts near it. :huh:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Post #651 - 25 Mar 2020, 23:46

I took a bycicle ride in my neighborhood, and then a walk in the woods, uphill my home.
I understand that this means breaking the law, these days.

They, the law, are supposed to have drones buzzing above us wops all day and night, for our common good.
Do these drones buzz loudly? Was constantly slightly worried been 'caught', during my outdoor time, but i did not notice them at all. :mellow:
Völlïg Scrötäl
Members

ImageImageImageImage

SitzKrieg Wop

Post #652 - 25 Mar 2020, 23:50

Sometimes a little breaking of a law is good for the soul. :)
BOQ Lay Preacher

Post #653 - 29 Mar 2020, 00:46

Fought the law again, just to buy some cd-r (they don't sell them in my 'borough'). Risked a 400 to 3000 € fine. One must be congenitally stupid to do this kind of things. :mellow:

But i won- :)

phpBB [video]
Völlïg Scrötäl
Members

ImageImageImageImage

SitzKrieg Wop

Post #654 - 02 Apr 2020, 18:20

I Fought The Law has been popular generation to generation. The Crickets put it on their first post-Buddy album. My favorite version is by The Bobby Fuller Four out of El Paso, Texas. I don't know how many people and groups have covered it but it seems to resonate with young people over a fairly long period of time
BOQ Lay Preacher

Post #655 - 03 Apr 2020, 02:12

Been drinking some. Passed out, at a certain time in the evening. Before dark, i think. Came around about midnight. Have been making a drunken a fool of myself on this site, since.

Hope i'll manage to make a drunken fool of myself on the other site as well, before i pass out again.

My English and typing skills are miracurously improving, notwithstanding. :)
Völlïg Scrötäl
Members

ImageImageImageImage

SitzKrieg Wop

Post #656 - 03 Apr 2020, 02:28

Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ; » Yesterday, 17:20 wrote:I Fought The Law has been popular generation to generation. The Crickets put it on their first post-Buddy album. My favorite version is by The Bobby Fuller Four out of El Paso, Texas. I don't know how many people and groups have covered it but it seems to resonate with young people over a fairly long period of time

Crickets, part of the Best of Faded Captain catalogue. :drink:

phpBB [video]
Völlïg Scrötäl
Members

ImageImageImageImage

SitzKrieg Wop

Post #657 - 03 Apr 2020, 12:34

Greasy Roads » 25 Mar 2020, 13:12 wrote:Image

Just the passenger seat to go back in now.

No seat belts. :lol:

I recall being picked up in this and as we roared away I reached for the belt and was told there are none.

Me (alarmed) - "Isn't that against the law?"

Greasy - "I don't give a fuck!"

:clap:
Happy Jack
Members

Sweet and tender hooligan.

Post #658 - 03 Apr 2020, 17:03

Happy Jack » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:34 pm wrote:
I recall being picked up in this

:gay:
routemaster
Essential Key Worker

Hit after hit! Image

Southampton 0-9 LCFC - the biggest ever away victory in the 131-year history of the Football League :lcfc:

Post #659 - 03 Apr 2020, 17:49

If I was gay Happy Jack would be the penultimate bloke on the list of people I'd fancy. :rolleyes:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Post #660 - 03 Apr 2020, 18:02

Greasy Roads » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:49 pm wrote:

If I was gay Happy Jack would be the penultimate bloke on the list of people I'd fancy. :rolleyes:

I know Sonofsmegma's a cunt, but that's a bit harsh. :(
routemaster
Essential Key Worker

Hit after hit! Image

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Website Security Test