View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 You Must Hear Them All ; The Peel Sessions

Post #101 - 02 Feb 2020, 11:03

Dannynomates is slipping, he failed to spot Milennium. :wanker:

I'm in agreement about Touch Sensitive, many slate it but it's got a strange ramshackle charm and contains the last great Hanley bassline. :clap:
routemaster
Essential Key Worker

Hit after hit! Image

Southampton 0-9 LCFC - the biggest ever away victory in the 131-year history of the Football League :lcfc:

Post #102 - 08 Feb 2020, 23:33

Session 22 - November 4th 1998

MES
Julia Nagle - keyboards, guitar
Neville Wilding - guitar
Karen Leatham - bass, keyboards
Tom Head - drums
Speth Hughes - special effects

Seven months on from the most divisive fall out in the Gruppe's history, it would be easy to suspect we'd heard the last from them. And so MES and Julia carry on regardless with a brand new line-up, offering here a selection of new works in progress that would eventually appear on next years Marshall Suite LP. Kicking off with Bound Soul One, a cover of a song by the little known Audio Arts, it's sprightly enough with a swing-beat style, Julia playing out a lovely tinkly piano solo towards the end. Antidotes is horrible, a sludgy dirge, MES mixing random lyrics with drunken wailing. Shake Off is not much better, a garage rocker that at least has an element of a song going on (and lots of sirens), while This Perfect Day rounds it up, a cover of the old Saints song that actually turned out more fun than the later LP mix. It's all done with in 13 minutes. Other treats included Spiritualized, Badly Drawn Boy and Punk Floyd, so all in all a bit of a damp day in Dolwyddelan. In the news, Ron Davies resigns as Secretary of State for Wales, citing "an error of judgement" in agreeing to go for what he said was a meal with a man he had met while walking on Clapham Common in London. Oh dear. :snigger:

This one I think. :)
phpBB [video]
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #103 - 09 Feb 2020, 00:06

Ooh, this is well up to your usual standard Steve. :clap:
Amber
Members

Post #104 - 09 Feb 2020, 21:31

Amber » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:06 pm wrote:Ooh, this is well up to your usual standard Steve. :clap:

Thank you Amber, it's nearly finished now. :D
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #105 - 16 Feb 2020, 00:42

Hope Steve70nearly is OK, I was so looking forward to Session 23 tonight, one of the best. :mellow:
Amber
Members

Post #106 - 16 Feb 2020, 08:02

Amber » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:42 pm wrote:Hope Steve70nearly is OK, I was so looking forward to Session 23 tonight, one of the best. :mellow:

Sorry Amber, Storm Dennis has struck and I must rescue my ewes first. :huh:
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #107 - 16 Feb 2020, 19:17

Steve70nearly » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:02 am wrote:
Amber » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:42 pm wrote:Hope Steve70nearly is OK, I was so looking forward to Session 23 tonight, one of the best. :mellow:

Sorry Amber, Storm Dennis has struck and I must rescue my ewes first. :huh:

We can only assume the cunt's been delayed. :angry:

Joan Con
Members

Post #108 - 16 Feb 2020, 21:31

Session Twenty Three - 13th March 2003

MES
Steve Hanley - Bass
Ben Pritchard - Guitar
Jim Watts - Bass
Dave Millner - Drums
Eleanor Poulou - Keyboards

This was the longest gap ever between Peel sessions, well over four years since the last one. The line up was totally different and it's fair to say that the group was entering yet another golden era. Theme from Sparta FC, Contraflow and Green-Eyed Loco Man were from the forthcoming album The Real New Fall LP (Formerly Country on the Click). Grooving With Mr Bloe (tacked on the front of Green-Eyed Loco Man) was only recorded for this session and on a historical note the original was a Northern Soul hit for about a nanosecond in 1970 until Mr.Bloe appeared on TOTP and gave away the fact that they were white and not actually very good. Mere Pseud Mag Ed dates back to the early eighties and Hex Enduction Hour. Also on the Peel show tonight were Panty Raid, Midnight Elvis, and the Punjabi Hit Squad. Me neither. In the real world Fidel Castro got elected again and in the UK Abdullah el-Faisal was jailed for nine years for urging Islamists to kill non-believers, Americans, Hindus and Jews.

My favourite track: Theme From Sparta FC

phpBB [video]
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #109 - 16 Feb 2020, 21:54

Ooh that was well worth the wait Steve70nearly, excellent and informative. Thank you. :clap:
Amber
Members

Post #110 - 16 Feb 2020, 22:24

Not so fast Amber, this is another ill researched work. First of all it's Milner, not Millner, and secondly all group members bar MES were also credited with backing vocals.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #111 - 17 Feb 2020, 10:37

Steve70nearly » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:31 pm wrote: in the UK Abdullah el-Faisal was jailed for nine years for urging Islamists to kill non-believers, Americans, Hindus and Jews.

That was a travesty of justice, the man was a fine upstanding follower of the prophet Mohammed, and you infidels will one day suffer great reprisals for your actions. :grrr:
jihadkelly
Members

رودجرز الملاعين خنزير له

Post #112 - 17 Feb 2020, 12:24

Steve70nearly » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:31 pm wrote:
My favourite track: Theme From Sparta FC

phpBB [video]

I can never decide between this or Green Eyed Loco, but it's definitely the best Sparta of all the versions. :walkman:
routemaster
Essential Key Worker

Hit after hit! Image

Southampton 0-9 LCFC - the biggest ever away victory in the 131-year history of the Football League :lcfc:

Post #113 - 21 Feb 2020, 12:27

Steve70nearly » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:31 pm wrote:Session Twenty Three - 13th March 2003

MES
Steve Hanley - Bass

Can't believe no one spotted this fuck up. No one's seriously going to publish the book are they? :wtf:
Joan Con
Members

Post #114 - 22 Feb 2020, 22:39

I really don't know why I bother. :wtf:

Session Twenty Four - 12 August 2004

"I am the carry bag man..."

MES
Ben Pritchard - Guitar
Jim Watts - Guitar/bass
Steve Trafford - Bass
Spencer Birtwistle - Drums
Eleanor Poulou - Keyboards
Ed Blaney - Guitar/vocals

And so almost 18 months after the return from oblivion, The Fall presented their 24th and (probably unknown at the time) final Peel session. And it was a beauty. All songs bar one were from the forthcoming live/demo collection 'Interim', a sort of fan-pleaser to tide over till the next album proper. Clasp Hands opened proceedings, a jaunty rockabilly number, but with a darkly ominous section re-introducing the Fall favourite I Wanna Be Your Dog bassline once again. Blindness follows, arguably the finest Fall composition of the later years, if not ever, it was truly a remarkable piece of music, even lyrically. Darker than anything on Bend Sinister and certainly heavier, the Peel version remains the one others are judged by. What About Us is more relaxed, if a ditty about serial killer Harold Shipman can be relaxed, but it was more laid back than the future LP mix. Finally, as with the previous session, another oldie - Wrong Place Right Time, which after a few minutes segued into a cover of the old Move song, I Can Hear The Grass Grow. Peel was audibly chuffed to bits with this final track, which has an air of solemnity given it was to be the last ever Fall Peel session song. :mellow:
Except that wasn't the last Fall Peel session song. Tagged on the end, but not aired till the correct date (August 31) was a fifth track, Job Search. A weird lo-fi electronic piece of excellence that was presented to Peel on a 12" acetate (the flip was an old Roy Orbison song performed by Half Man Half Biscuit) for his 65th birthday.

It's a good job the session was so strong because beat me in the Brecons, the rest of the show was dismal, only Motorhead's Ace Of Spades being of note. In the wider world, Hurricane Charlie quite rightly hit Florida, and King Kong actress Fay Wray sadly died aged 96.

Obviously Blindness wins hands down, but the last session deserves entirety, including Job Search. :)
phpBB [video]

Thank you for reading, we shall now look at getting the book up and published. B-)

Steve70nearly
Members

Post #115 - 23 Feb 2020, 08:12

Thank you Steve70nearly, I've loved reading this thread. :clap:
Amber
Members

Post #116 - 23 Feb 2020, 10:52

Amber » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:12 am wrote:Thank you Steve70nearly, I've loved reading this thread. :clap:

Thank you for reading them Amber, I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #117 - 19 Apr 2020, 22:48

The book isn't going to happen, Ladybird have got wind I'm a mildly aggressive troll and once called Potty a racist Yorkshire cunt, and they've pulled the plug. :(
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #118 - 31 Jul 2020, 07:46

Mod note: irrelevant post transferred to irrelevant thread.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #119 - 31 Jul 2020, 08:44

I'm intrigued as to what you removed above Dan! :thinking:

Anyway, some news on the YMHTA front...

I spent an hour and a half on the phone to a publisher this afternoon, and he gave me a wealth of really useful pointers on how to take it forward. I have four weeks of self isolation this summer having visited The North yesterday and the kids are here for most of that, but from this Sunday I have a full week where they're at their mum's, so it'll be nose to the sheepdip next week.

It'll be a bit of a challenge, but the aim is to try and get the final text completed by the end of October and have it available in WH Smith's before the Christmas rush.

I'll be advertising it on social media, so it would be useful if you lot would like, comment and retweet etc.

One other thing: it needs a subtitle, e.g. You Must Hear Them All: A History of The Fall's Peel Sessions. That's a bit dull, obviously, so any suggestions as I can't be bothered?
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #120 - 01 Aug 2020, 21:59

Steve70nearly » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:44 am wrote:
One other thing: it needs a subtitle, e.g. You Must Hear Them All: A History of The Fall's Peel Sessions. That's a bit dull, obviously, so any suggestions as I can't be bothered?

How about 'YMHTA - The Fall Peel Sessions Complete and Un-Cut!'
thesnippedpriestess
Members

PreviousNext

Return to Fallen Related Discussion

Website Security Test