View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 40 Years of The Fall ; A year by year best of thing

Post #241 - 04 May 2019, 05:27

The audience at Øyafestivalen all seem to be closely related to dannynomates. :wtf:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

World is turning, hope it don't turn away.

Post #242 - 04 May 2019, 20:35

Greasy Roads » Sat May 04, 2019 6:27 am wrote:The audience at Øyafestivalen all seem to be closely related to dannynomates. :wtf:

He's hardly a fucking Viking. :laugh:

Could you perhaps comment on the performance? I don't think Eleni ever looked better. :)
routemaster
On The Buses

Grade A triple platinum cunt Image

Post #243 - 04 May 2019, 20:51

routemaster » Sat May 04, 2019 9:35 pm wrote:
Greasy Roads » Sat May 04, 2019 6:27 am wrote:The audience at Øyafestivalen all seem to be closely related to dannynomates. :wtf:

Could you perhaps comment on the performance? I don't think Eleni ever looked better. :)

I don't think Eleni ever looked better. :)
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Post #244 - 04 May 2019, 20:56

Greasy Roads » Sat May 04, 2019 9:51 pm wrote:
routemaster » Sat May 04, 2019 9:35 pm wrote:

I don't think Eleni ever looked better. :)

I don't think Orpheo ever looked better. :)
Buys Curios
Members

Post #245 - 13 May 2019, 20:26

Fucking Godot will arrive before the next one of these. :angry:
Mr. Martial
Members

Post #246 - 13 May 2019, 21:21

Godot was unavailable this evening, sorry about that. :fu:

MES nips out for a smoke, Hammersmith Palais 2007.

The first half of 2007 continued to utilise the revolving line up of MES, Eleni, The Dudes, Dave Spurr, Pete Greenway and Keiron Melling - all, fewer or some being used at any given time. By July though The Dudes had to return to their own commitments, but not before knocking out a Fall album and (all of them bar Melling) playing a great show at the Hammersmith Palais, the last group to perform at the venue. Typically Fall, MES trudged off at the end with no comment of the event, causing a near riot by some dewy eyed twats who must have expected some sort of glowing eulogy of the Palais from our bloke. :grin:

The album 'Reformation Post TLC' came out in February, featuring The Dudes and Spurr, while Greenway was credited as a guest. With a mischievous cackle at the start, opening track 'Over! Over!' was a worry for Fall fans who thought this was The Fall bowing out after recent troubles, but it was simply a sprightly bass-led tune taking a swipe at the TLC's (Treacherous Lying Cunts allegedly) who'd legged it last year. Track two 'Reformation!' was more of the same in subject matter, a long bass heavy track with MES reeling off random lines which don't really say much but are effective if that makes sense. Also there is a simple guitar riff and Eleni's brooding synths rumbling around in the background, it's not quite 'Blindness' but it's a bloody good attempt. 'Fall Sound' finds MES angrier. Again we have that magnificent bass (in fact it's two basses which carry the album throughout) with MES's lyrics being a statement of intent of how The Fall will sound from now on. Given the first three tracks here, I'd be happy with that. :clap: But then things go squiffy. See this album was banged out in a hurry, so while there's some true stonkers, there's also some true shite. 'White Line Fever' is not very good, it's an old Merle Haggard song but it sounds a bit weedy after the opening songs, and 'Insult Song' next is even worse, one of those childish MES attacks on the group a bit a la 'Crew Filth'. Not big or clever especially sung in a cod-American accent. 'My Door Is Never' is better, some more deep bass and introducing Pete Greenway with his trademark guitar sound, this was pleasant enough but soon ran out of steam without actually going anywhere. Then we're back to more filler, 'Coach And Horses' is more acoustic than anything , and while this makes a pleasant break, it peter's out after 90 seconds. 'The Usher' was just dull and managed 75 seconds before being pulled and it's starting to look like this album is going to become tedious. :yawn: And so Eleni takes control, sends MES out to the pub and sings a song! 'The Wright Stuff' is most odd, basically synth and bass with some guitars on the chorus, god alone knows what it's about. References to footballers, nudity, plastic women's bosoms and I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here, for some unknown reason it seems to me like an ode to Ian Wright. I hope to fuck I'm wrong about that. :lol: Anyway it met with hostility from many Fall fans but I like it, though it should have been cropped at 4 minutes. Next up is 'Scenaro', with a brilliant bass and drum intro, it is annoyingly dragged down by lacklustre guitars and a seemingly bored MES. It could have been better. 'Das Boat' is the weirdest track on the album. 10 minutes long, it begins with 2 minutes of bass, woozy guitar and ominous synth conjuring up images from the Das Boot film I suppose, before this stops and what sounds like an homage to Neu! comes in, all weird synths and drumsticks with the occasional "Das Boat" lyric and an irritating (to some) "Eee ee ee" vocal from Mr & Mrs Smith throughout. I used to hate it but having listened over the last week or so, as I've done with all these albums before writing, I've grown to like it a lot. If you don't fancy 8 minutes of this oddness, listen to the first 2 minutes then skip straight to the next song 'The Bad Stuff' - the link works really well. TBS starts with the Dudes in conversation over a swirly synth before kicking into a two part garage rock track with phoned in voices in the background. It's only 2 1/2 minutes long and a bit throwaway, but it's fun. And finally 'Systematic Abuse'. This is another epic, curiously muted in volume which caused some angst with the musos - me I just whack it up a few notches. Anyway it's another exercise in repetition, MES sings about rotten potatoes, the basses rumble along and the guitars and synth take turns drifting in and out of the mix, it's a great finale. :) I say finale, there's one more track 'Outro' which is nothing but makes 14 tracks - apparently MES is superstitious about 13 tracks on an album. :shrug:

My choice? While it's a difficult album, there are some great songs in amongst the dross, but I'm going to be predictable here, 'Reformation!' the song is the essence of the album's reason to be, and it's also bloody fantastic so it's going onto the list.

phpBB [video]

One more strange thing though, despite the album being a bit below par, it was the first to enter the top 100 chart (#78) since The Marshall Suite (#84) in 1999 - was this to be a reformation that was actually going to work? :)

Disc 3 of the 4CD set looks like this...

Scareball
The REAL Life of The Crying Marshall
Cyber Insekt
Crop Dust
Susan vs Youthclub
Mountain Energei
Theme From Sparta FC #2
Blindness (US vinyl mix )
Higgle-dy Piggle-dy
Reformation!
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #247 - 14 May 2019, 05:52

Do you never check your facts? The last ever gig at the Hammersmith Palais took place on 3 May 2007 by Groove Armada to launch their album Soundboy Rock.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #248 - 14 May 2019, 16:19

dannynomates » Tue May 14, 2019 6:52 am wrote:Do you never check your facts? The last ever gig at the Hammersmith Palais took place on 3 May 2007 by Groove Armada to launch their album Soundboy Rock.

Dan

How stupid of me not to rifle through Wiki like you do. :faceslap:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #249 - Yesterday, 21:55

Disc 4

Mark and Pete forget Vauxhall and share a joke as Daz agree to use 'White Line Fever' for their new ad.

Another year with no line up changes, April saw the first fruits of the latest gruppe without The Dudes. 'Imperial Wax Solvent' produced by Mark (I'm dropping the MES tag), Grant Showbiz and Andi Toma (of Von Sudenfed - the Mark and Mouse On Mars collaboration) was a big step forward from last years RPTLC, here was a solid album with absolutely no filler. A strange start though, 'Alton Towers' was a strange meandering song utilising Dave's bass almost as a double bass, ie. the giant cello in a sort of slow jazz style. Add in a spidery guitar and a touch of squelchy synth, plus a morbid sounding Mark, it boded a peculiar album. Track two fixed that, 'Wolf Kidult Man' slams in with a wolf howl and a fast garage rock track emerges. For some reason though it was recorded in mono so comes across a bit flat, as superior live versions would prove in time, but it was still superb. :) Where to start with '50 Year Old Man'? It's a mad 11 minute track in five parts, attempting to be a classic, but to these cloth-ears failing in that respect. I'm afraid part one was a hard fast banging relentless noise with Mark growling like he's never growled before against Steve Albini and Virgin Trains. Lyrics about throwing hotel towels on the floor and pissing on them, plus references to a three foot rock hard-on are also not pleasant, nor big and clever. A banjo section suddenly interrupts, this is just weird. Then part three is part one played slower and less aggressively, this is more palatable before part four, the psychedelic noodly bit with lots of synth, which is actually fantastic. Last section is more traditional rock with some, in fairness, excellent guitar riffs before Mark draws it to a close with his "Fade out, fade out" instruction. Most odd. 'I've Been Duped' offers a bit of light relief, Eleni takes the mic and it's a bit of a pub rocker. Many real Fall fans, as with 'The Wright Stuff', hated this, but while it's not essential, I can't condemn it. Any song that cutely mentions "Three hairy men digging up Scotland" is fine by me. On live renditions, Eleni would add lines from a song from her Zen Faschisten days, 'My TV'. :walkman: On to 'Strangetown', a Groundhogs cover. It's a great rendition, but with yet more production sabotage. Not only is it in mono, it's also riddled with pops, clicks and interference as if mastered from a ropey old vinyl that's spent too long on Greasy Roads' turntable. And yet this adds to the appeal, as does the hilarious bit in the middle when it grinds to a shambolic halt and Mark has to count it back in, "1,2,3,4...". :lol: Side two, or track 6 is delicious. 'Taurig' is a wonderful Eleni composed slice of Kraftwerk/Krautrock style electronica with a hefty backbeat. It appears instrumental but a hushed whispering voice does appear midway through, though it's nigh on impossible to decipher what it says. Sumptuous though. 'Can Can Summer' is light and breezy, some excellent performances from all involved, plus a little section on the middle that goes all 'I Feel Love'. Nicely produced with various backing vox buzzing around in the background. 'Tommy Shooter', although mono again, ups the ante with a deep heavy bass and some sprightly guitar chords. Mark sings some interestingly odd lyrics rhyming Doberman Pinscher Poodles with noodles, along with the haunting chickens coming home to roost, this is a top song. 'Latch Key Kid' again utilises that deep bass , Mark growling again and referencing Bo Diddley. Must be an ode to childhood where he was often left out on the street while his parents were out? I guess the line about "Mr M and I Smith" must refer to himself and his mum Irene(?). Another good tune. Next is a short one, 'Is This New?' was co written with aforementioned Andi Tomas, but sounds naff all like Von Sudenfed. It's OK, but I don't really get it. :mellow: Nearly done. 'Senior Twilight Stock Replacer' had been played by The Dudes for ages and I'm sure they deserved a credit, but they didn't get one. It's got a classic Greenway wah wah guitar line, but the vocals seem distorted as if Mark was too close to the mic. It's another solid tune, but leaves you feeling it could have been better. And so to the closing song, 'Exploding Chimney'. A bass and synth intro gives way to another short garage stomper, Mark telling of his lifetime battles. He's been through it all, kids. :yes:

This is difficult. It's a great album no mistake, but there's no stand out classic here. WKM is brilliant but the mono mix let it down. 50 YOM would have worked better split into three or four separate tracks and spread out across the album as a theme. I'm going for 'Tommy Shooter', despite being mono, it rises above that and the lyrics are great which at this stage of Mark's career wasn't always the case. Here you go... :)

phpBB [video]

...Is it mono though? I dunno! :rolleyes:

I gather there was another mix of the album, some "GS" mixes (Grant?) have appeared on Youtube of STSR and Strangetown which are interesting. Did I read somewhere this alternative IWS might be released soon, and once heard you'd "never play the original again" ? :D
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #250 - Today, 04:35

This is very good again routemaster. :clap:
Amber
Members

Post #251 - Today, 04:36

And you've picked the right track as well. Have you had your ears syringed? :wtf:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Post #252 - Today, 08:17

Amber » Mon May 20, 2019 5:35 am wrote:This is very good again routemaster. :clap:

Thank you Amber, pleased you're still reading. :)
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #253 - Today, 08:18

Greasy Roads » Mon May 20, 2019 5:36 am wrote:And you've picked the right track as well. Have you had your ears syringed? :wtf:

I always pick the right track. :huh:
routemaster
On The Buses

Previous

Return to Fallen Related Discussion