View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 40 Years of The Fall ; A year by year best of thing

Post #241 - 04 May 2019, 05:27

The audience at Øyafestivalen all seem to be closely related to dannynomates. :wtf:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

World is turning, hope it don't turn away.

Post #242 - 04 May 2019, 20:35

Greasy Roads » Sat May 04, 2019 6:27 am wrote:The audience at Øyafestivalen all seem to be closely related to dannynomates. :wtf:

He's hardly a fucking Viking. :laugh:

Could you perhaps comment on the performance? I don't think Eleni ever looked better. :)
routemaster
On The Buses

Grade A triple platinum cunt Image

Post #243 - 04 May 2019, 20:51

routemaster » Sat May 04, 2019 9:35 pm wrote:
Greasy Roads » Sat May 04, 2019 6:27 am wrote:The audience at Øyafestivalen all seem to be closely related to dannynomates. :wtf:

Could you perhaps comment on the performance? I don't think Eleni ever looked better. :)

I don't think Eleni ever looked better. :)
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Post #244 - 04 May 2019, 20:56

Greasy Roads » Sat May 04, 2019 9:51 pm wrote:
routemaster » Sat May 04, 2019 9:35 pm wrote:

I don't think Eleni ever looked better. :)

I don't think Orpheo ever looked better. :)
Buys Curios
Members

Post #245 - 13 May 2019, 20:26

Fucking Godot will arrive before the next one of these. :angry:
Mr. Martial
Members

Post #246 - 13 May 2019, 21:21

Godot was unavailable this evening, sorry about that. :fu:

MES nips out for a smoke, Hammersmith Palais 2007.

The first half of 2007 continued to utilise the revolving line up of MES, Eleni, The Dudes, Dave Spurr, Pete Greenway and Keiron Melling - all, fewer or some being used at any given time. By July though The Dudes had to return to their own commitments, but not before knocking out a Fall album and (all of them bar Melling) playing a great show at the Hammersmith Palais, the last group to perform at the venue. Typically Fall, MES trudged off at the end with no comment of the event, causing a near riot by some dewy eyed twats who must have expected some sort of glowing eulogy of the Palais from our bloke. :grin:

The album 'Reformation Post TLC' came out in February, featuring The Dudes and Spurr, while Greenway was credited as a guest. With a mischievous cackle at the start, opening track 'Over! Over!' was a worry for Fall fans who thought this was The Fall bowing out after recent troubles, but it was simply a sprightly bass-led tune taking a swipe at the TLC's (Treacherous Lying Cunts allegedly) who'd legged it last year. Track two 'Reformation!' was more of the same in subject matter, a long bass heavy track with MES reeling off random lines which don't really say much but are effective if that makes sense. Also there is a simple guitar riff and Eleni's brooding synths rumbling around in the background, it's not quite 'Blindness' but it's a bloody good attempt. 'Fall Sound' finds MES angrier. Again we have that magnificent bass (in fact it's two basses which carry the album throughout) with MES's lyrics being a statement of intent of how The Fall will sound from now on. Given the first three tracks here, I'd be happy with that. :clap: But then things go squiffy. See this album was banged out in a hurry, so while there's some true stonkers, there's also some true shite. 'White Line Fever' is not very good, it's an old Merle Haggard song but it sounds a bit weedy after the opening songs, and 'Insult Song' next is even worse, one of those childish MES attacks on the group a bit a la 'Crew Filth'. Not big or clever especially sung in a cod-American accent. 'My Door Is Never' is better, some more deep bass and introducing Pete Greenway with his trademark guitar sound, this was pleasant enough but soon ran out of steam without actually going anywhere. Then we're back to more filler, 'Coach And Horses' is more acoustic than anything , and while this makes a pleasant break, it peter's out after 90 seconds. 'The Usher' was just dull and managed 75 seconds before being pulled and it's starting to look like this album is going to become tedious. :yawn: And so Eleni takes control, sends MES out to the pub and sings a song! 'The Wright Stuff' is most odd, basically synth and bass with some guitars on the chorus, god alone knows what it's about. References to footballers, nudity, plastic women's bosoms and I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here, for some unknown reason it seems to me like an ode to Ian Wright. I hope to fuck I'm wrong about that. :lol: Anyway it met with hostility from many Fall fans but I like it, though it should have been cropped at 4 minutes. Next up is 'Scenaro', with a brilliant bass and drum intro, it is annoyingly dragged down by lacklustre guitars and a seemingly bored MES. It could have been better. 'Das Boat' is the weirdest track on the album. 10 minutes long, it begins with 2 minutes of bass, woozy guitar and ominous synth conjuring up images from the Das Boot film I suppose, before this stops and what sounds like an homage to Neu! comes in, all weird synths and drumsticks with the occasional "Das Boat" lyric and an irritating (to some) "Eee ee ee" vocal from Mr & Mrs Smith throughout. I used to hate it but having listened over the last week or so, as I've done with all these albums before writing, I've grown to like it a lot. If you don't fancy 8 minutes of this oddness, listen to the first 2 minutes then skip straight to the next song 'The Bad Stuff' - the link works really well. TBS starts with the Dudes in conversation over a swirly synth before kicking into a two part garage rock track with phoned in voices in the background. It's only 2 1/2 minutes long and a bit throwaway, but it's fun. And finally 'Systematic Abuse'. This is another epic, curiously muted in volume which caused some angst with the musos - me I just whack it up a few notches. Anyway it's another exercise in repetition, MES sings about rotten potatoes, the basses rumble along and the guitars and synth take turns drifting in and out of the mix, it's a great finale. :) I say finale, there's one more track 'Outro' which is nothing but makes 14 tracks - apparently MES is superstitious about 13 tracks on an album. :shrug:

My choice? While it's a difficult album, there are some great songs in amongst the dross, but I'm going to be predictable here, 'Reformation!' the song is the essence of the album's reason to be, and it's also bloody fantastic so it's going onto the list.

phpBB [video]

One more strange thing though, despite the album being a bit below par, it was the first to enter the top 100 chart (#78) since The Marshall Suite (#84) in 1999 - was this to be a reformation that was actually going to work? :)

Disc 3 of the 4CD set looks like this...

Scareball
The REAL Life of The Crying Marshall
Cyber Insekt
Crop Dust
Susan vs Youthclub
Mountain Energei
Theme From Sparta FC #2
Blindness (US vinyl mix )
Higgle-dy Piggle-dy
Reformation!
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #247 - 14 May 2019, 05:52

Do you never check your facts? The last ever gig at the Hammersmith Palais took place on 3 May 2007 by Groove Armada to launch their album Soundboy Rock.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #248 - 14 May 2019, 16:19

dannynomates » Tue May 14, 2019 6:52 am wrote:Do you never check your facts? The last ever gig at the Hammersmith Palais took place on 3 May 2007 by Groove Armada to launch their album Soundboy Rock.

Dan

How stupid of me not to rifle through Wiki like you do. :faceslap:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #249 - 19 May 2019, 21:55

Disc 4

Mark and Pete forget Vauxhall and share a joke as Daz agree to use 'White Line Fever' for their new ad.

Another year with no line up changes, April saw the first fruits of the latest gruppe without The Dudes. 'Imperial Wax Solvent' produced by Mark (I'm dropping the MES tag), Grant Showbiz and Andi Toma (of Von Sudenfed - the Mark and Mouse On Mars collaboration) was a big step forward from last years RPTLC, here was a solid album with absolutely no filler. A strange start though, 'Alton Towers' was a strange meandering song utilising Dave's bass almost as a double bass, ie. the giant cello in a sort of slow jazz style. Add in a spidery guitar and a touch of squelchy synth, plus a morbid sounding Mark, it boded a peculiar album. Track two fixed that, 'Wolf Kidult Man' slams in with a wolf howl and a fast garage rock track emerges. For some reason though it was recorded in mono so comes across a bit flat, as superior live versions would prove in time, but it was still superb. :) Where to start with '50 Year Old Man'? It's a mad 11 minute track in five parts, attempting to be a classic, but to these cloth-ears failing in that respect. I'm afraid part one was a hard fast banging relentless noise with Mark growling like he's never growled before against Steve Albini and Virgin Trains. Lyrics about throwing hotel towels on the floor and pissing on them, plus references to a three foot rock hard-on are also not pleasant, nor big and clever. A banjo section suddenly interrupts, this is just weird. Then part three is part one played slower and less aggressively, this is more palatable before part four, the psychedelic noodly bit with lots of synth, which is actually fantastic. Last section is more traditional rock with some, in fairness, excellent guitar riffs before Mark draws it to a close with his "Fade out, fade out" instruction. Most odd. 'I've Been Duped' offers a bit of light relief, Eleni takes the mic and it's a bit of a pub rocker. Many real Fall fans, as with 'The Wright Stuff', hated this, but while it's not essential, I can't condemn it. Any song that cutely mentions "Three hairy men digging up Scotland" is fine by me. On live renditions, Eleni would add lines from a song from her Zen Faschisten days, 'My TV'. :walkman: On to 'Strangetown', a Groundhogs cover. It's a great rendition, but with yet more production sabotage. Not only is it in mono, it's also riddled with pops, clicks and interference as if mastered from a ropey old vinyl that's spent too long on Greasy Roads' turntable. And yet this adds to the appeal, as does the hilarious bit in the middle when it grinds to a shambolic halt and Mark has to count it back in, "1,2,3,4...". :lol: Side two, or track 6 is delicious. 'Taurig' is a wonderful Eleni composed slice of Kraftwerk/Krautrock style electronica with a hefty backbeat. It appears instrumental but a hushed whispering voice does appear midway through, though it's nigh on impossible to decipher what it says. Sumptuous though. 'Can Can Summer' is light and breezy, some excellent performances from all involved, plus a little section on the middle that goes all 'I Feel Love'. Nicely produced with various backing vox buzzing around in the background. 'Tommy Shooter', although mono again, ups the ante with a deep heavy bass and some sprightly guitar chords. Mark sings some interestingly odd lyrics rhyming Doberman Pinscher Poodles with noodles, along with the haunting chickens coming home to roost, this is a top song. 'Latch Key Kid' again utilises that deep bass , Mark growling again and referencing Bo Diddley. Must be an ode to childhood where he was often left out on the street while his parents were out? I guess the line about "Mr M and I Smith" must refer to himself and his mum Irene(?). Another good tune. Next is a short one, 'Is This New?' was co written with aforementioned Andi Tomas, but sounds naff all like Von Sudenfed. It's OK, but I don't really get it. :mellow: Nearly done. 'Senior Twilight Stock Replacer' had been played by The Dudes for ages and I'm sure they deserved a credit, but they didn't get one. It's got a classic Greenway wah wah guitar line, but the vocals seem distorted as if Mark was too close to the mic. It's another solid tune, but leaves you feeling it could have been better. And so to the closing song, 'Exploding Chimney'. A bass and synth intro gives way to another short garage stomper, Mark telling of his lifetime battles. He's been through it all, kids. :yes:

This is difficult. It's a great album no mistake, but there's no stand out classic here. WKM is brilliant but the mono mix let it down. 50 YOM would have worked better split into three or four separate tracks and spread out across the album as a theme. I'm going for 'Tommy Shooter', despite being mono, it rises above that and the lyrics are great which at this stage of Mark's career wasn't always the case. Here you go... :)

phpBB [video]

...Is it mono though? I dunno! :rolleyes:

I gather there was another mix of the album, some "GS" mixes (Grant?) have appeared on Youtube of STSR and Strangetown which are interesting. Did I read somewhere this alternative IWS might be released soon, and once heard you'd "never play the original again" ? :D
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #250 - 20 May 2019, 04:35

This is very good again routemaster. :clap:
Amber
Members

Post #251 - 20 May 2019, 04:36

And you've picked the right track as well. Have you had your ears syringed? :wtf:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Post #252 - 20 May 2019, 08:17

Amber » Mon May 20, 2019 5:35 am wrote:This is very good again routemaster. :clap:

Thank you Amber, pleased you're still reading. :)
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #253 - 20 May 2019, 08:18

Greasy Roads » Mon May 20, 2019 5:36 am wrote:And you've picked the right track as well. Have you had your ears syringed? :wtf:

I always pick the right track. :huh:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #254 - 26 May 2019, 21:11

Senior twilight hip replacement? :wtf:

Whether 2009 was supposed to be a quiet year we don't know, but it wasn't helped by Mark coming a cropper and breaking his hip. Several Smith & Blaney gigs had to be cancelled as a result, so not all bad news. On his return to Fall duties, Mark appeared onstage in a wheelchair, specially adapted to whizz in between the amps for ease of volume adjustment. :grin: On a darker note, and unknown to any of us at the time, Mark would also see many more hospital visits due to his first battle with cancer that year, so it's easy to see now why such delay in releases came about. :(

But this is The Fall, and The Fall had not missed a single year without something to offer - a 7" and CD single was therefore issued in November. Still with the same now familiar line up, lead track 'Slippy Floor (Mark Mix)' suggested a version of a song as yet unheard? It was definitely a demo of sorts, in three parts, the opening part seems to kick in midway through a vocal line, over a sort of dub bass and drum track. It demanded more but after 30 seconds, the next section kicks in, a blaze of glorious garage rock with each instrument attempting to keep pace with another. Mark's vocals here sound unfinished though - snatches of phrases that needed adding to. Not to say it didn't work of course, and it could easily as well be typical Fall buggering about. As that part ended, a weird C&W style tune with twangy guitars and Mark warbling about "1-9-8-6 generators" ends the track with a spoken word segue of Mark and producer (Ding?) tagged on the very end. So lots to take in there. :) Track 2, or b-side on the vinyl is 'Hot Cake Pt2', so again implying a different version of another song. It's a little gem, kind of rockabilly in beat and with Eleni interjecting a cute, sensuous even, "Ah ah ah...ooh" throughout. I'm sure she also says "...so fuck it!" at one point, or maybe that's just wishful thinking. :lol: Anyway it's a hugely bouncy and uplifting song, Dave's bass playing being particularly of note on both tracks, though Pete might have enjoyed 'Slippy Floor' more. Track 3 on the CD only is a live 'Strangetown' so we shall ignore it.

I think I'm going for 'Hot Cake', as noted it's huge fun and I think more fully formed than 'Slippy Floor' at this stage. The whole package was a mouthwatering taster for a new album in the making? :walkman:

phpBB [video]

...In hindsight the lyrics on examination aren't exactly uplifting, but never mind. :faceslap:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #255 - 27 May 2019, 04:50

It's amazing how you keep it up routemaster. :clap:
Amber
Members

Post #256 - 27 May 2019, 07:15

Amber » Mon May 27, 2019 5:50 am wrote:It's amazing how you keep it up routemaster. :clap:

Thank you Amber, I knew you'd be begging for more. B-)
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #257 - 01 Jun 2019, 22:37

Resist Mark, resist...

After an (now) understandably quiet year, 2010 followed with an album and a single. 'Your Future Our Clutter' was released in April on Domino Records, yet another new label. Since the Permanent trio of the mid 90's, it was rare that two Fall LPs would be on consecutive labels, and so this was nothing new. We kick off with 'OFYC/Showcase'. Any album that opens with the vocal "The little baco mongers" is going to be good. Following that line, the drums begin, then the synth line, then the bass and finally the guitar. And so it builds and ascends for over 5 minutes. "A showcase of Fall talent" is not wrong, and the best opener since 'Cyber Insekt'. :clap: 'Bury 1+3' is next, the opening 90 seconds being astonishingly lo-fi as if recorded in a toilet three floors below, while clearly being a great song. This it proves to be when it finally opens out to full volume. Huge crunchy Greenway guitar riffs aplenty here, and Eleni matches him with her keyboard tune, magnificent and bordering on classic Fall. I do question the weird pig noises that seem to emulate throughout the song though, most odd. :shrug: Track three disappoints me though, always a favourite with the faithful, but I find 'Mexico Wax Solvent' plodding and lumpy. Pete tries to save it with a lilting guitar line that comes and goes, and there's the first mention of (12 year old) doctors and (fresh faced) physicians, hinting at last years traumas, but it doesn't save it, at least to my cloth ears. Similarly, 'Cowboy George' which slams in as a galloping "Wild Western rocker" is a new style for a Fall song, and Pete again makes it his own with much twangy wah wahs, and more huge riffs (this is becoming his album) which are awesome, but to me let down by the second part which reduces down to Mark crooning over shimmery synths. 'Hot Cake' rights things, as reviewed last post, it's now fully fledged and the "Ah ah ah oohs" are even more upfront. :) The fully fledged 'YFOC/Slippy Floor' pisses all over last years Mark Mix, here the dubby intro rumbles along for a full 2 minutes, then the main section, while being virtually the same as the old one, does include proper vocals rather than snatched excerpts, of course quite impenetrable, but hospitals are again a theme. The ending as before features the odd "1-9-8-6 Generator" bit. It's a blinder. Then things go fucking mental.
When I first bought this album, I loved it but soon got bored with some tracks. 'Mexico' and 'Cowboy' were two, 'Chino' was another. It was slow, it bored me. Before writing these, I always have a listen, and it must have been two years since I played this album. 'Chino' fucking blew me away! :D We're suddenly thrown into the abyss, an almost apocalyptic scenario unfolds as a dark heavy bass and frankly scary synth introduce Mark who's voice is as if from another world, depicting an actual account of a medical operation. Synths rush and swoop, even an ambulance siren can be heard back in the mix. The main song sees Mark's vocal settle to a more plaintive mournful tone, bemoaning the hospitalisation - "When do I quit this hospital?....to be with my darling?" and craving for a release. Pete's guitar again takes us to another level with a crashing riff enhancing the darkness and terror. This truly is an astonishing track. :clap:
As a reprieve, 'Funnel of Love' is a throwaway cover which is OK, and probably necessary, as the last track 'Weather Report 2' is almost as dark as 'Chino'. It begins a bit weedy, Mark maybe post-op, "Hello, how are you today?" from the doctor? Then "You gave me the best years of my life" being Mark to his wife? Yet behind these lightly sung words, a more sinister Mark vocal chips in with the same words echoing, it's very spooky. And more so as the gentle acoustic refrains give way to a harrowing synth lead scene with just the sinister echoey words coming through amid walls of synth noise. It's quite disturbing, and more so with Mark closing the track with the violently whispered, "You don't deserve rock and roll". :D

Phew! There were, for the vinyl people, two extra tracks on the 2LP. '986 Generator' finally gave us the full song hinted at at the end of 'Slippy Floor', another Western style, maybe more C&W. It's a slow drum lead number with twangy guitar, and it's hugely infectious, but would have been better if the full blown all banging instrumental section wasn't 90 seconds tagged on the end of six minutes. :rolleyes: 'Get A Summer Song Going' is a missable garage rocker, it's OK but not necessary. And of course the single. 'Bury 2+4' was an edited version, so just a short lo-fi moment before the classic song kicks in. It's an ideal single track, working much better than the album mix. B-side 'Cowboy Gregori' is shit. :lol:

My pick was to be 'YFOC/Slippy Floor' which improved so much following the 7" version, but this week's Fall listening has been a revelation. I'd ignored this album for ages, and sometimes that can be a good thing. It's 'Chino' , I can't believe I've dismissed this monster for so long. :faceslap:

phpBB [video]

Follow that fucker, 2011...
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #258 - 02 Jun 2019, 06:34

These just get better and better routemaster. :wub:
Amber
Members

Post #259 - 02 Jun 2019, 11:02

Amber » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:34 am wrote:These just get better and better routemaster. :wub:

Thank you Amber, I rambled a bit but this one took me by surprise. :)
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #260 - 07 Jun 2019, 16:11

Eleni cannot control her mirth as she sits out the Greek heavy metal cover. :)

Following the tremendous achievements produced the year before, it was time to up the ante and go one better. And this being The Fall, they did the exact bloody opposite. :rolleyes: Late in the year came a single, 'Laptop Dog' closely followed by album #29, 'Ersatz GB'. I'm not going to be too harsh as a lot of the songs were pretty good, but production wise it sucked. I gather Ding was knob twiddler this time, group members still unaltered. The album was released on Cherry Red Records, a label The Fall would stay with to the end.

'Cosmos 7' opened proceedings, at a real gallop, one of those where each instrument battles to keep up with the next. It's clearly a great song, but Mark's voice is now down to a throaty growl, a style he'll use a lot more in the future. Tied in with muddy production, this spoils the song a bit. There's another version on the single which has a cleaner sound so you can hear each instrument more as they should be. 'Taking Off' is next, many say it's the best on the album, and the production is certainly sleeker, but to my ears it's a tad too smooth, almost MOR by Fall standards. There's some nice guitar and keyboard work creating a gentle atmospheric tone, building to a busier crescendo towards the end. MOR though. Onto 'Nate Will Not Return', a curious and lengthy song where Mark attempts to use every word in the English language that rhymes with 'Nate'. He loses it a bit adding the phrase "hot cake", but a valiant try. Again some classic Pete guitar, but the wordplay hovers between funny and plain daft. 'Mask Search' is short and sweet, a bouncy almost rockabilly track. Dave's bass here is noteworthy, and again Pete shines with some great riffs, but again production lets it down. When Mark's voice is added, the volume of the guitars audibly and dramatically drops. :shrug: And so to 'Greenway'. Whether this is some sort of anti-homage to the long suffering Pete, or simply a huge piss-take is debatable. What's not debatable is the fact it's utter horse-shit. It's a remake of a Greek heavy metal song, that style presumably not being enough to make you wince, Mark adds some horrible and childish lyrics - "I had to wank off the cat to feed the fucking dog" is I'm afraid neither big nor clever. And naturally many Fall fans loved it. :( What's needed is a woman's touch, and Eleni provides this brilliantly with 'Happi Song'. Her third and best vocal so far (after Duped and Wright Stuff), many claim it's a Nico style. It isn't, it's an Eleni style. Necessarily subdued following 'Greenway', the lads provide a gentle backing while she sings what I always imagine to be an ode to Mark. In fact it could be her reply to 'Chino' or 'Weather Report' and the dark subject matter they held, this is like a blessed relief that that personal period is over. Her voice almost breaks down at the line "But look into his eyes.". Mark meanwhile gurgles along incomprehensibly in the background. :lol: 'Monocard' up next is a huge behemoth of a song, or at least it tries to be. As if they want to create a classic a la 'Blindness' or 'Reformation' for example, they try too hard I think and the result is boredom. Granted the music is played brilliantly as usual, but that doesn't make a good listen as it grinds along with several false stops for over 8 minutes. 5 or 6 might have been enough. There's an alternate version on the single which sounds exactly the same. :yawn: And talking of the single, lead track 'Laptop Dog' is next. It's a decent enough pop song, but nothing groundbreaking or awe inspiring. A weird thing happens at the end, as the song fades out, a different mix briefly comes back in which sounds a whole lot better produced and brighter. One wonders if there's a whole album of this quality in a loft somewhere? 'I've Seen Them Come' could have been a classic, but yet again is spoilt by woeful mixing. It's wonderfully discordant, guitars and keys wildly played deliberately out of key, but the persistent drumming is too up in the mix. Mark's lyrics border on madness - "I've been to Dong, Fong, Fu, Ha, gone to woo'woo'woo..." - all makes perfect sense, but the anti-production yet again spoils it. And finally it's the same story with closing track 'Age Of Chang'. The first minute or so is ridiculously lo-fi, as if recorded in the broom cupboard which is a shame because you can hear a decent song in there. It does beef up as it goes along, but the lines "Time for change" and closing mutter "A dam of vast proportion will break over Hawksmoor" leaves you wondering if another Fall shake up is on the way. :wtf:

In the spirit of confounding everyone, my choice is not going to be 'Taking Off', it's going to be 'Happi Song'. A thing of joy and beauty surrounded by a sea of murk. :wub:

phpBB [video]

The public reacted with their wallets. Where IWS and YFOC both entered the top 40 of the album charts (a first since Infotainment Scan), EGB managed a lowly #88.

Will 2012 see a mass sacking? :D
routemaster
On The Buses

PreviousNext

Return to Fallen Related Discussion

Website Security Test