View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 40 Years of The Fall ; A year by year best of thing

Post #181 - 06 Mar 2019, 15:40

Uninterested. :grrr:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

World is turning, hope it don't turn away.

https://www.notforprofitfuneralplans.co.uk

Post #182 - 06 Mar 2019, 16:12

Well don't fucking read it then. :grrr:

I don't know why I bother. :cry2:
routemaster
On The Buses

Hit after hit! Image

Southampton 0-9 LCFC - the biggest ever away victory in the 131-year history of the Football League :lcfc:

Post #183 - 06 Mar 2019, 18:33

routemaster » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:12 pm wrote:

Just trying to improve your English. :wtf:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

World is turning, hope it don't turn away.

https://www.notforprofitfuneralplans.co.uk

Post #184 - 06 Mar 2019, 19:49

Greasy Roads » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:33 pm wrote:

Thank you, but I'd appreciate less smart arse comments. :wtf:
routemaster
On The Buses

Hit after hit! Image

Southampton 0-9 LCFC - the biggest ever away victory in the 131-year history of the Football League :lcfc:

Post #185 - 06 Mar 2019, 20:04

routemaster » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:49 pm wrote:

Fewer. :huh:
StuckupPercy
Members

Post #186 - 06 Mar 2019, 20:05

StickupPercy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:04 pm wrote:
routemaster » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:49 pm wrote:

Fewer. :huh:

:(
routemaster
On The Buses

Hit after hit! Image

Post #187 - 15 Mar 2019, 13:19

Images are getting so hard to find, so I made this one which is unique. It's much easier nicking other people's work. :zipped:

Following the traumas of 1998, MES re-assembled his new group and after a string of live dates, the studio beckoned. The fruits of these recordings provided two singles and an album - we'll deal with the singles later. 'The Marshall Suite' was released in April, building on the experimentation of 'Levitate', it was manic, compelling and all over the bloody place, mostly (but not entirely) in a good way. The album opens with the upbeat single 'Touch Sensitive', a sprightly number which they also recorded a video for. It proved once again that MES was quite capable of writing a pop song, in his own wayward style of course. Vauxhall picked up on it a few years later and used it for their then Corsa advert, so anyone who'd never heard of The Fall were guaranteed a listen simply by watching Coronation Street. MES was furious. :grin: Next was the second single 'F-Oldin' Money', a rockabilly cover originally by Tommy Blake. It's a tale of money troubles and law-breaking, a subject I suspect a lot of this album refers to - following MES' couple of days incarceration after the Brownies incident. The two singles out of the way, we now get into deeper material. 'Shake Off' is a fast paced warning of the perils of hard drugs, the drumming is in a post drum'n'bass style and a dark menacing bassline hovers above. Vauxhall would not have cared for this, I thought it was excellent. A breather is required so track four 'Bound' is altogether less brutal. A bouncy piece of Neville Wilding guitar work sits happily with a light Julia synth line. This is actually part cover version, it began as an instrumental called 'Love Bound' by the Audio Arts, MES then added his own words, it's yet another different Fall sound that was always going to be the case from here on. Good tune. We are relying slightly too much on cover versions though, 'This Perfect Day' is an old Saints song, it's not bad but it does sound slightly amateur. The fast fuzzy guitar is accompanied by a deep Adam Helal or Karen Leatham (or both) bass, and the Tom Head drums keep it all rumbling along. Maybe garage rock (for that's what it is) isn't my thing, but listening as I type it's already growing on me more, oh I dunno. :shrug: 'Jung Nev's Antidotes' now, Jesus fuck this is heavy. A dark industrial barrage of noise, slow hard drums, howling guitars and filthy deep bass accompany MES' rant, I think associated with trivial laws. "Where chewing gum is chewed, the chewer is pursued...". Not an easy listen, but all part of what is becoming a rollercoaster of an LP. :D And so 'Inevitable' is inevitably back to a quieter more restrained sound, it even features what sounds like an oboe, guitars and bass kept to a gentle strum. Just a nice song, but I do enjoy the bit at the end which adds a quirky synth and a deep throbbing sub-bass that boy racers (in Vauxhall Corsas!) used to favour. :) 'Anecdotes + Antidotes In B#' is another take on 'Jung Nev's', this time a bit faster and along with the chewing gum line, "...and smoking is forbidden again and again and again", not really essential though and neither is the subsequent 'Early Life Of The Crying Marshall' which is just 50 seconds of lofi noodling. 'The Crying Marshall' then is a return to the all out eardrum assault, more crazy guitars and pounding drums. It sounds disjointed at first, but just listen to each instrument and you will hear behind all the clatter some amazing noises. I'd possibly question MES' contribution here, I love the back of the mix "Whup!" every so often, but the main vocal line does not seem to fit in. This could be down to my cloth ears, overall it's another bruiser. Then something really odd happens. 'Birthday Song' features MES and Julia in a (dare I say it?) beautiful and heartfelt love song. MES even uses the word "darling" again and he'd been in trouble over that once before, meanwhile Julia plays out a delightful synth accompaniment. I really ought to hate this, I hated 'Rose' and 'Bill Is Dead', but no, he got it right this time, god knows how it fits into the album but it does. :wub: 'Mad Men Eng Dog' is more lofi filler, leaving 'On My Own' to close. It's a resurrection of 'Everybody But Myself' from the last album - I didn't write about that because it was crap, this is better and features yet more Julia excellence with her piano and slightly scary synth. It's also credited to Funky Si who co-wrote the Levitate version, but had long gone by this time. Oh and for the vinyl lovers, 'Tom Ragazzi' was the real closing track but it's too awful to bother with. :faceslap:

A quick mention of the singles - they're basically worthless. Touch Sensitive has the LP mix plus a dance remix which is unbearable, adding 'Antidote' which is the same as 'Jung Nev's' . 'F-Oldin' Money' takes the piss, five songs stretched over two CDs, new versions of 'Birthday Song' which I can't hear as any different, 'Perfect Day' where MES tries out his falsetto only to realise he should have left it alone years ago, 'Tom Ragazzi' which is twice as long so twice as shite, and 'The REAL Life Of The Crying Marshall'.

And that last song is to be my choice. TRLOTCM pisses all over the LP attempt, which itself wasn't bad, but only hinted at the danciness (that's not a word, is it?). It sounds like it could have been a D.O.S.E. or Inch out-take, a fantastically funky guitar and the addition of what sounds like an old Roland 303 synth that made those squelchy noises in the Acid House days, turns the song into a bit of a classic. Enjoy. :banana:

phpBB [video]

I think given that this was virtually a brand new gruppe, minor gripes aside TMS was a damn good album, and a very brave one to attempt. Where will they go from here? :)
routemaster
On The Buses

Hit after hit! Image

Post #188 - 15 Mar 2019, 15:12

This is excellent stuff routemaster. :clap:
Amber
Members

Post #189 - 15 Mar 2019, 15:18

Amber » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:12 pm wrote:This is excellent stuff routemaster. :clap:

Thank you Amber, glad you enjoyed it.

Spellchecker is my new friend. :)
routemaster
On The Buses

Hit after hit! Image

Post #190 - 15 Mar 2019, 15:29

routemaster » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:18 pm wrote:
Amber » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:12 pm wrote:This is excellent stuff routemaster. :clap:

It's a shame you haven't got a punctuation checker as the possessive of MES is MES's.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #191 - 15 Mar 2019, 16:06

dannynomates » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:29 pm wrote:

It's a shame you haven't got a punctuation checker as the possessive of MES is MES's.

Dan

It's a shame you can't accept someone's work without having to be a clever cunt about it. :angry:
routemaster
On The Buses

Hit after hit! Image

Post #192 - 15 Mar 2019, 16:19

routemaster » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:06 pm wrote:

Dan

It's a shame you can't accept someone's work without having to be a clever cunt about it. :angry:

routemaster warned for profanity and mod abuse.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #193 - 15 Mar 2019, 16:22

dannynomates » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:19 pm wrote:
routemaster » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:06 pm wrote:

Dan

routemaster warned for profanity and mod abuse.

Dan

:swear:
routemaster
On The Buses

Hit after hit! Image

Post #194 - 15 Mar 2019, 21:32

I have been talking to an English teacher who assures me that both MES' and MES's are correct grammar, in the context mentioned earlier. :huh:

Dannynomates can therefore fuck off back to his library where he can attempt to place books alphabetically on a shelf. :wanker:
routemaster
On The Buses

Hit after hit! Image

Post #195 - 15 Mar 2019, 21:40

routemaster » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:32 pm wrote:I have been talking to an English teacher who assures me that both MES' and MES's are correct grammar, in the context mentioned earlier. :huh:

Dannynomates can therefore fuck off back to his library where he can attempt to place books alphabetically on a shelf. :wanker:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/punct ... apostrophe

I would refer your English teacher to the section entitled "Personal names that end in –s" on this web page.

routemaster warned for mod abuse, profanity, and disparaging librarians in general.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #196 - 15 Mar 2019, 21:44

dannynomates » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:40 pm wrote:
routemaster » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:32 pm wrote:I have been talking to an English teacher who assures me that both MES' and MES's are correct grammar, in the context mentioned earlier. :huh:

I would refer your English teacher to the section entitled "Personal names that end in –s" on this web page.

routemaster warned for mod abuse, profanity, and disparaging librarians in general.

Dan

I forgot you Google everything. :rolleyes:
routemaster
On The Buses

Hit after hit! Image

Post #197 - 15 Mar 2019, 22:40

Dan

:mutley:
Jim Skidder
Members

Proud to be a plant wrangler from Texas. :)

Notts Forest 12 Leicester Soccer Club 0 - The biggest ever top tier defeat in the 131-year history of the Football League. :wanker:

Post #198 - 15 Mar 2019, 22:45

Jim Skidder » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:40 pm wrote:

Dan

:mutley:

Fuck off, I trust my English techer implicitly. :grrr:
routemaster
On The Buses

Hit after hit! Image

Post #199 - 16 Mar 2019, 08:13

routemaster » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:44 pm wrote:

Dan

Not in this case. My parents kept me in four two months until I learnt how to use the apostrophe correctly. I was let out just in time for my 19th birthday which I spent round the youth club.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #200 - 16 Mar 2019, 10:17

dannynomates » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:13 am wrote:
routemaster » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:44 pm wrote:

Dan

four two months

Dan

:wanker:
Sonofsmegma
The Smegma Family

PreviousNext

Return to Fallen Related Discussion

Website Security Test