View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 40 Years of The Fall ; A year by year best of thing

Post #141 - 21 Jan 2019, 08:43

Greasy Roads » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:16 am wrote:It's always hard to know to blame for production. There are tales of MES taking a perfectly good mix, recording it on a cassette machine, then playing it back into the studio mikes and making it sound shit.

Is this referring to Bend Sinister? It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if MES deliberately messed things up, contrary bugger that he was. :grin:
routemaster
On The Buses

Grade A triple platinum cunt Image

Post #142 - 21 Jan 2019, 08:50

StickupPercy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:42 am wrote:
routemaster » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:38 am wrote:
dannynomates » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:13 am wrote:It's 'categorise'.

Dan

Spellchecker was telling me something was wrong - I tried a 'z' instead of an 's' but that didn't work.

It would be better if spellchecker gave the right spelling at the time rather than alerting a smug little prick of a moderator to the error. :angry:

If you right-click the word it will tell you the correct spelling. :huh:

Do you think I have time to faff about right clicking? It took me a bloody hour to type out as it was. :grrr:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #143 - 21 Jan 2019, 09:00

routemaster » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:50 am wrote:

Dan

Spellchecker was telling me something was wrong - I tried a 'z' instead of an 's' but that didn't work.

It would be better if spellchecker gave the right spelling at the time rather than alerting a smug little prick of a moderator to the error. :angry:

Do you think I have time to faff about right clicking? It took me a bloody hour to type out as it was. :grrr:

It's only 10 letters. :D
StuckupPercy
Members

Post #144 - 21 Jan 2019, 09:04

StickupPercy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:00 am wrote:
routemaster » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:50 am wrote:

Dan

It's only 10 letters. :D

:cry2:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #145 - 21 Jan 2019, 10:38

Great review as ever, routemaster. :clap:

Who is this "rainmaster" who is credited in the Twitter link? :shrug:
Amber
Members

Post #146 - 21 Jan 2019, 10:43

Amber » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:38 am wrote:Great review as ever, routemaster. :clap:

Thank you Amber, glad you're still enjoying these. :)

FFS have they cocked it up again? :angry:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #147 - 21 Jan 2019, 11:00

Amber » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:38 am wrote:Great review as ever, routemaster. :clap:

Sounds like a right cunt. :angry:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

World is turning, hope it don't turn away.

Post #148 - 21 Jan 2019, 11:40

Greasy Roads » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:00 am wrote:

Sounds like a right cunt. :angry:

:(
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #149 - 31 Jan 2019, 15:32

Bonjela complexion moment for MES in LA, 1994.

Yes Karl Burns was back, so were we in for a new era of Fall sound akin to the halcyon double drummer days of 1983? Well no, actually, we weren't but it was nice to see him again. :grin: One single and one album this year, kicking off with this year's marketing ploy. The single was available on CD, 12" and clear vinyl 10", with a yellow vinyl 7" for the Americans. All versions contained three songs. The title track '15 Ways' was a rather bland offering, MES not seeming to know whether it was 15 ways to leave your man, 10 ways, 16 ways, or conversely 8 ways to keep your man. Very confusing and a bit drab tbh. 'Hey Student' was next, a new version of 'Hey Fascist' from 1977. I can't compare the two as the original was virtually unlistenable on the old live '77 LP, but 'Student' was a blisteringly fast number, including an amusing ad-lib on the Peel session version about "masturbating to Shaun Ryder's face". :D Last up was 'The $500 Bottle Of Wine' which most Fall fans detest. Not me, OK it's not 'New Puritan' or 'J Temperance', but it's an inoffensive enough bluesy song along the lines of 'Married 2 Kids' and undeserving of the slagging it gets imo. The single got to #75, so as a marketing ploy it failed.

It probably failed because punters were getting fed up with finding all the single tracks on the LP - 'Middle Class Revolt' was not a great album and included all three tracks above. It even starts with '15 Ways' which is hardly thrilling, so when track 2 'Reckoning' proves to be equally as bland, alarm bells begin to ring. Thankfully the next two tracks are much better, but again we've heard them before - 'Behind The Counter' and 'M5' were on the late 1993 single, so nothing of new interest has shone through yet. Track 5 maybe? Sadly not, 'Surmount All Obstacles' is another of Rex Sargeant's wall of sound productions, only this time with an even lumpier and muddier feel, MES' vocals sounding muffled as if the mic is too close to his mouth. Title track 'Middle Class Revolt' continues in the same vein, although the drumming is excellent here and worthy of a mention. 'War' is an old Henry Cow cover, to me unheard of so a new Fall song to my ears, and thankfully it's bloody good too. The drums pound relentlessly and we're treated to a full on Hanley bass masterpiece, track of the album so far, but not to forget it was also on that late '93 single. A feeling of laziness and lack of ideas is beginning to take hold. :wtf: Next up is 'You're Not Up To Much', and turns out to be an overlooked treat. Craig and Steve are left to do what they do best, so we have a nice jangly guitar line and another cracking bit of bass. MES sounds mournful, a sad song about lost love or depression? I dunno but it works well all the same. 'Symbol Of Mordgan' follows, here we have a conversation between Craig and John Peel about Manchester City FC with a lot of badly played guitar in the background for three minutes. For fuck's sake. 'Hey Student' we've dealt with, time for another cover version. 'Junk Man' was originally by The Groundhogs (I think?) and is crap, although it does tell us where the opening lines to 'Squid Law' came from. '$500 Bottle Of Wine' we've covered. :yawn: A new song next? Sadly not, 'City Dweller' is a remake of 'Cab Driver' from the late '93 single, so still we're getting nothing new. In fairness though it's much better than 'Cab Driver', MES' vocal being higher in the mix so as to be legible, and a decent slab of electronica from Dave Bush, the song probably being lent to his keyboards rather than having them cause annoyance above other instruments. The closing track is yet another cover, an old Monks song called 'Shut Up'. It's poor and not a patch on 'Black Monk Theme'. My apologies if I sound so negative with this album, but out of 14 tracks, 7 we'd heard before, 3 were covers and 3 were simply dull to diabolical. This is frankly not good enough for a Fall LP. The public responded and the album peaked at #48. :(

I could have chosen 'War' for my pick of the bunch, but I didn't want a second cover in a row, and besides I think 'You're Not Up To Much' edges it. This is The Fall in grand style, maybe not a bone fide classic, but in it's company head and shoulders above the rest. Enjoy. :)

phpBB [video]

I have a theory that MES himself may have thought The Fall were in need of a good kick up the arse after this poor show. He decided to give Brix a ring....
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #150 - 31 Jan 2019, 15:53

Good piece.
Circus Monkey
Members

Post #151 - 31 Jan 2019, 16:08

Thank you CM. :)
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #152 - 10 Feb 2019, 22:21

A grainy image of a group transforming, includes cute pug dog. :)

Following MES' phone call in late '94, Brix jumped at the chance of rejoining the group and was thus reinstated. Rex Sargeant was ousted as producer in favour of Mike Bennett, a cockney character who would stick around for a couple of years and rip off fans with a lot of dodgy live and demo recordings he'd acquired from MES, possibly. Allegedly. Also onboard was MES' latest flame Lucy Rimmer on occasional vox. Anyway, this year saw no single release, just one album, so we shall crack on with that.

Cerebral Caustic took a bit of a mauling from many Fall fans, but it's actually not bad at all. Kicking off with the upbeat 'The Joke', it's a full on guitar thrash complete with lots of other weird noises busy in the background. Craig's guitar and Steve's bass seem to ramble free while Brix's guitar wildly fills the gaps. Add on a new style of slightly higher pitched MES warbling and we have a fantastically mad opener. 'Don't Call Me Darling' follows a similar vein, Brix asserting her position back in the fold with a shrieking vocal line, while MES' vocal is relatively restrained. Is it 'Don't call me darling' as in not to call her that, or as in not to phone her again, darling? I dunno. Next up is 'Rainmaster', possibly the finest song The Fall ever made another great tune with routine Hanley / Scanlon / B Smith instrum set to MES lyrics that are becoming increasingly incomprehensible, a style of writing we would see much more of from now on. Track four is 'Feeling Numb', a song similar in subject to 'Everything Hurtz' describing the effects of a tad too much substance abuse? :whistle: It's another cracker featuring the more familiar chipmunk style Brix vocal. 'Pearl City' next is slightly below par throwaway number, apparently inspired by a Chinese takeaway in Manchester. It's OK, Lucy on backing vox. Track six, 'Life Just Bounces' is a re-recording of the old White Lightning b-side, and an improvement over the original. Much meatier and vibrant, curiously involving what sounds like a squealing pig in the background. It was also a rare moment for a bit of Dave Bush synth, he'd been very quiet so far. :shrug: 'I'm Not Satisfied' is a Frank Zappa cover, the only cover on the album. It's dire. Things go a bit weird from now on, next up is 'The Aphid', another fast guitar fest, this time narrating about how to retrieve an insect from a carpet. And very good it is too. 'Bonkers In Phoenix' is just that - bonkers! It's a Brix penned song sung in delightful gerbil-on-helium style, which MES tore apart and added huge swathes of electronic noise to, while adding his own thoughts on veggie vs meat burgers at Glastonbury. There is an alternate version minus most of the electronica which is quite exceptional, but wasn't released until the remastered CC many years later. I do wish they'd have used that version in the first place. :mellow: 'One Day' is yet another speedy rush, with some delicious guitar work from Craig, it's basically 'The Aphid' again though. And so to the novelty track, 'North West Fashion' show is a bit of a jam session with MES introducing various catwalk characters. Any song including Hugh McSheepshagger, Richard & Judy's bastard offspring and Mr Stephen Hanley modelling the bald look, is fine by me. :) So to the final song, 'Pine Leaves'. I'm afraid it's bleak, a dark impenetrable tune possibly about the holocaust, but with barely audible lyrics and a horrible loud synth line from Dave Bush, it's a disappointing finale imo. :wtf:

A winner? It's difficult because despite the much enjoyed fast guitar tracks, it all becomes a bit samey. So I'm cheating slightly and going for the alternate 'Bonkers In Phoenix' - although not technically released at the time, it existed and was probably closest to what Brix had in mind for the album. Damn you MES and your tinkering. :grin:

phpBB [video]

Late in 1995, serious changes would take place. Dave Bush would be ousted from his keyboards to be replaced with Julia Nagle, but even more surprising, Craig Scanlon was removed due to basically not being arsed anymore. Craig had been onboard for an unprecidented 16 years, but things in Fall world were beginning to crumble. :mellow:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #154 - 11 Feb 2019, 10:09

You missed my other mistake which I realised and edited at 06:50 this morning on the way to Scarborough. :wanker:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #155 - 11 Feb 2019, 10:26

routemaster » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:09 am wrote:

You missed my other mistake which I realised and edited at 06:50 this morning on the way to Scarborough. :wanker:

If you edited it at 06:50 and I didn't read it until 07:30 I can hardly have missed it. I've made a note of this.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #156 - 11 Feb 2019, 18:03

dannynomates » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:26 am wrote:

If you edited it at 06:50 and I didn't read it until 07:30 I can hardly have missed it. I've made a note of this.

Dan

You're supposed to be on strike, you fucking blackleg. :grrr:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #157 - 11 Feb 2019, 18:11

routemaster » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:03 pm wrote:

Dan

I am just not moderating at the moment otherwise your post would have merited an immediate warning. As it is it has been noted and when I resume moderating it will be considered.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #158 - 11 Feb 2019, 21:46

dannynomates » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:11 pm wrote:
routemaster » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:03 pm wrote:

Dan

I am just not moderating at the moment otherwise your post would have merited an immediate warning. As it is it has been noted and when I resume moderating it will be considered.

Dan

Any misdemeanours by members that you have noted while taking strike action will be ignored, you can't have it both ways. Either back off or get back to work.
Connor
Site Admin

Post #159 - 17 Feb 2019, 07:44

Has this ground to a halt? :wtf:
Amber
Members

Post #160 - 17 Feb 2019, 10:12

Amber » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:44 am wrote:Has this ground to a halt? :wtf:

It was to be last night Amber, but RM Jnr II is visiting along with his cat, who's arse was in my face most of the evening. :wtf:

I'll try and get it up tonight, I know you enjoy this. :)
routemaster
On The Buses

PreviousNext

Return to Fallen Related Discussion

Website Security Test