View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 The Fall on 45 ; keep on turning in your mind

Post #121 - 20 Nov 2018, 23:34

Come on Greasy, come on Greasy.... :)
Amber
Members

Post #122 - 21 Nov 2018, 08:20

Here you go Amber. The last couple of singles had been a bit average but This Nation's Saving Grace was wonderful and then we were presented with this. Fall Sound had totally changed now and this was one of the classic Fall line-ups at the peak of their powers. What a fucking rhythm section, Burns still makes it sound like they have a hoard of native drummers. I know L.A. was on the LP but it sounds so right following Cruiser's Creek on the second side of the 12". Steve Hanley made the hairs on my neck stand up when he played the intro at an Extricated gig last year. And the extra track on the 12", Vixen, is pretty damn good too. This record is a highlight amongst many Fall highlights.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #123 - 21 Nov 2018, 09:14

Greasy Roads » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:20 am wrote:I know L.A. was on the LP but it sounds so right following Cruiser's Creek on the first side of the 12". <snip> And the extra track on the 12", Petty Thief Lout, is pretty damn good too. This record is a highlight amongst many Fall highlights.

I don't know where to begin with this. The first side of the 12" contains Cruisers Creek alone, and it's not followed by L.A. at all because the b-side starts with Vixen and then L.A. Petty (Thief) Lout was not on this release, it was on the b-side of the previous 12" Couldn't Get Ahead/Rollin' Dany.

BEG 150T

BEG 134T

It's also worth noting that the 7" Cruisers Creek does not technically belong in this thread, being as it plays at 33rpm, can it truly be regarded as a 45? I think not.

It is tiresome having to re-write other peoples posts for accuracy, I would appreciate correct data to be researched in future please.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #124 - 21 Nov 2018, 09:38

dannynomates » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:14 am wrote:
Greasy Roads » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:20 am wrote:I know L.A. was on the LP but it sounds so right following Cruiser's Creek on the first side of the 12". <snip> And the extra track on the 12", Petty Thief Lout, is pretty damn good too. This record is a highlight amongst many Fall highlights.

I don't know where to begin with this. The first side of the 12" contains Cruisers Creek alone, and it's not followed by L.A. at all because the b-side starts with Vixen and then L.A. Petty (Thief) Lout was not on this release, it was on the b-side of the previous 12" Couldn't Get Ahead/Rollin' Dany.

BEG 150T

BEG 134T

It's also worth noting that the 7" Cruisers Creek does not technically belong in this thread, being as it plays at 33rpm, can it truly be regarded as a 45? I think not.

It is tiresome having to re-write other peoples posts for accuracy, I would appreciate correct data to be researched in future please.

Dan

That was just the first draft. :huh:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #125 - 21 Nov 2018, 10:00

Greasy Roads » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:38 am wrote:

BEG 150T

BEG 134T

Dan

Quality control is everything when posting reviews such as this, it beggars belief that it has received 5 likes and 2 retweets so soon. I always check, double check and triple check my Googling before I post.

Warning to Greasy Roads for shoddy posting on my forum.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #126 - 21 Nov 2018, 10:02

dannynomates » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:00 am wrote:
Greasy Roads » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:38 am wrote:

BEG 150T

BEG 134T

Dan

Quality control is everything when posting reviews such as this, it beggars belief that it has received 5 likes and 2 retweets so soon. I always check, double check and triple check my Googling before I post.

Warning to Greasy Roads for shoddy posting on my forum.

Dan

I never Google anything 'cos cunts like you always check it anyway. :)
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #127 - 21 Nov 2018, 11:10

It's a great review Greasy Roads, take no notice of that tedious cunt. Routemaster said in his 1985 post that Cruisers Creek was the one that finally clicked with him. I love it too. :clap:
Amber
Members

Post #128 - 27 Nov 2018, 07:13

There was a bit of gap until this next single and frankly it wasn't really worth the wait, particularly after the high mark of Cruiser's Creek/L.A. This was only released on 12", a first as far as I can remember, and also possibly a last. Excellent cover from Claus Castenskiold. Living Too Late is solid enough I suppose, but it doesn't leap out at me and say single. Hot Aftershave Bop which as far as I can see has equal status with it, is much better suited as a 45. Still at least neither track was on an LP: that line was yet to be crossed.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #129 - 27 Nov 2018, 09:08

Greasy Roads » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:13 am wrote: This was only released on 12", a first as far as I can remember,

When will you learn to Google properly? It was released as a promo 7" which came with a miniature bottle of aftershave.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #130 - 27 Nov 2018, 09:13

dannynomates » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:08 am wrote:
Greasy Roads » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:13 am wrote: This was only released on 12", a first as far as I can remember,

When will you learn to Google properly? It was released as a promo 7" which came with a miniature bottle of aftershave.

Dan

That's a contradiction in terms: promos aren't releases and in most cases are marked "Not for sale."
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #131 - 27 Nov 2018, 09:33

Greasy Roads » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:13 am wrote:
Greasy Roads » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:13 am wrote: This was only issued on 12", a first as far as I can remember,

Dan

That's a contradiction in terms: promos aren't releases and in most cases are marked "Not for sale."

You said "issued" in your original post, that's what I was referring to. "Released" has the same meaning in that context. Please don't contradict my knowledge as I can feel a warning coming on.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #132 - 27 Nov 2018, 09:35

dannynomates » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:33 am wrote:
Greasy Roads » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:13 am wrote:
Greasy Roads » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:13 am wrote: This was only issued on 12", a first as far as I can remember,

Dan

You said "issued" in your original post, that's what I was referring to. "Released" has the same meaning in that context. Please don't contradict my knowledge as I can feel a warning coming on.

Dan

:wanker:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #133 - 04 Dec 2018, 19:48

A couple of months later this paean to amphetamines turned up. It was OK but I really didn't see the point as the original can't be improved upon. I did, however, learn that The Other Half were from San Francisco and not England as I'd always assumed. Worse still it turned up on Bend Sinister, the first of the group's singles to appear on an album. It's also been played to death both on the radio and as a live encore and I kind of have to force myself to listen to it nowadays. Still, Lucifer Over Lancashire is jolly enough and Auto Tech Pilot is pretty decent as well. Does Stephen Hanley ever sound really duff? I think not.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #134 - 04 Dec 2018, 20:52

Greasy Roads » Today, 19:48 wrote:Image

A couple of months later this paean to amphetamines turned up. It was OK but I really didn't see the point as the original can't be improved upon. I did, however, learn that The Other Half were from San Francisco and not England as I'd always assumed. Worse still it turned up on Bend Sinister, the first of the group's singles to appear on an album. It's also been played to death both on the radio and as a live encore and I kind of have to force myself to listen to it nowadays. Still, Lucifer Over Lancashire is jolly enough and Auto Tech Pilot is pretty decent as well. Does Stephen Hanley ever sound really duff? I think not.

I QUITE LIKE ALL THESE SONGS GREASY ROADS, NOT LEAST BECAUSE YOU DON'T GET THAT BITCH BRIX SHRIEKING AWAY ON THEM LIKE A FUCKING HYAENA WITH IT'S BOLLOCKS CAUGHT IN A MANGLE. HMM, YOU MIGHT BE ONE OF THE BETTER GUYS ON HERE, HOW ABOUT WE MEET UP SOMETIME? YOU'LL NEVER BE AS BIG A MAN AS MY MAN WAS, BUT A GIRL GETS LONELY...
VAMPIRA PANDER
Members

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM

Post #135 - 04 Dec 2018, 21:02

VAMPIRA PANDER » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:52 pm wrote:

I QUITE LIKE ALL THESE SONGS GREASY ROADS, NOT LEAST BECAUSE YOU DON'T GET THAT BITCH BRIX SHRIEKING AWAY ON THEM LIKE A FUCKING HYAENA WITH IT'S BOLLOCKS CAUGHT IN A MANGLE. HMM, YOU MIGHT BE ONE OF THE BETTER GUYS ON HERE, HOW ABOUT WE MEET UP SOMETIME? YOU'LL NEVER BE AS BIG A MAN AS MY MAN WAS, BUT A GIRL GETS LONELY...

:duh:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #136 - 04 Dec 2018, 21:34

Greasy Roads » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:02 pm wrote:
VAMPIRA PANDER » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:52 pm wrote:

:duh:

Lucifer over Worcestershire. :laugh:
routemaster
On The Buses

Grade A triple platinum cunt Image

Post #137 - 11 Dec 2018, 08:22

This next one was kind of from Smith's play about Pope John Paul 2 being murdered by someone or other. At least this was how the NME described it as I wouldn't have had a scooby otherwise. I really like it though - led in by Simon Rodgers' keyboards and Funky Si it continues the group's more commercial sound. This had a change of producer with Ian Broudie, who appeared to be omnipresent in the mid-eighties, taking over duties. Decent sleeve by MES's sister Suzanne, her first since the early years. John Leckie's back for the B sides: Entitled's nice enough but a bit throwaway, Shoulder Pads is great - vintage MES amphetamine mumbling but very Brix sounding.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #138 - 11 Dec 2018, 10:52

Greasy Roads » Today, 08:22 wrote:Shoulder Pads is great - vintage MES amphetamine mumbling but very Brix sounding.

WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP, SHOULDER PADS WAS A WIMPY POP SONG AND MY MAN WOULD NEVER TOUCH DRUGS. THE SONG IS NOT BRIX SOUNDING AT ALL BECAUSE IT DOESN'T INCLUDE HER SCREECHING LIKE A CAT WITH IT'S BOLLOCKS CAUGHT IN A FOOD BLENDER. YOU SPOKE SOME SENSE IN YOUR LAST ONE, YOU'RE TALKING OUT OF YOUR ARSE HERE.
VAMPIRA PANDER
Members

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM

Post #139 - 11 Dec 2018, 16:49

Enjoying reading through these.
Starsky-Jalfrezi
Members

Post #140 - 11 Dec 2018, 18:09

Starsky-Jalfrezi » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:49 pm wrote:Enjoying reading through these.

Thank you ST. :)
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

PreviousNext

Return to Fallen Related Discussion