View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 Greasy Roads' Vinyl Corner ; What be on his turntable?

Post #1 - 10 Aug 2019, 06:30

I Believe What You Say - Ricky Nelson

I bought this as part of a job lot of Elvis, Buddy Holly, and Ricky Nelson 45s sometime in the 70s. All had obviously been loved and were in perfect nick. At least one of the Ricky Nelson records has a photo of him cut out of a magazine pasted to the sleeve. I defy anyone to find any cut of this song that sounds any better than this 45, in fact it's one of the best sounding things in my collection. James Burton lets rip a couple notes early on which just hints at the sheer glory of the solo later - this sends shivers up my spine every time I hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkRUYk6kBsQ

As a postscript Nelson cut a new version of this sometime in the eighties which I heard played on Round Table, a British radio review programme. As it was playing I thought to myself, "Why has he done this? The original was perfect." Dave Edmunds who was one of the reviewers then said exactly the same thing.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

World is turning, hope it don't turn away.

https://www.notforprofitfuneralplans.co.uk

Post #2 - 10 Aug 2019, 08:20

Greasy Roads » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:30 am wrote:
I defy anyone to find any cut of this song that sounds any better than this 45, in fact it's one of the best sounding things in my collection.

It sounds as tinny as fuck, it needs a good remaster to bring out the full sound quality required.

I can't believe people still collect this outdated and space taking mode of music when you can simply download everything or rip it from Youtube. :rolleyes:
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #3 - 10 Aug 2019, 10:34

Greasy Roads » Today, 06:30 wrote:Image

I bought this as part of a job lot of Elvis, Buddy Holly, and Ricky Nelson 45s sometime in the 70s. All had obviously been loved and were in perfect nick. At least one of the Ricky Nelson records has a photo of him cut out of a magazine pasted to the sleeve. I defy anyone to find any cut of this song that sounds any better than this 45, in fact it's one of the best sounding things in my collection. James Burton lets rip a couple notes early on which just hints at the sheer glory of the solo later - this sends shivers up my spine every time I hear it.

As a postscript Nelson cut a new version of this sometime in the eighties which I heard played on Round Table, a British radio review programme. As it was playing I thought to myself, "Why has he done this? The original was perfect." Dave Edmunds who was one of the reviewers then said exactly the same thing.

This James Burton solo is one of the most famous and influential in early rock - it's terrific. Burton was known for using the lightest gauge strings he could find - even using banjo strings for the high E - yet he got a full tone out of his guitar. You've got a bit of musical history there.
Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ;
Members

...before you the wimpled past, behind you the hallooing future...

...Zoom! There goes the gay fuckerteer chasing the tail of light.....

...The habitual myth has an eagerness to quit...

Post #4 - 10 Aug 2019, 12:01

Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:34 am wrote:

This James Burton solo is one of the most famous and influential in early rock - it's terrific. Burton was known for using the lightest gauge strings he could find - even using banjo strings for the high E - yet he got a full tone out of his guitar. You've got a bit of musical history there.

Most of his collection is ancient fucking musical history. :laugh:
In The North
Members

Post #5 - 10 Aug 2019, 12:33

In The North » 30 minutes ago wrote:
Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:34 am wrote:

Most of his collection is ancient fucking musical history. :laugh:

And your point is, What? it's better to be ahistorical when it comes to music? Ignorance is a positive stance?
Members

Post #6 - 20 Aug 2019, 10:10

Mr Fantasy - Traffic

This the first LP I ever bought. The nearest place to sell records to where I went to school was the long-gone WH Austin in the Tything, Worcester. It was primarily a musical instrument shop but they kept a small but decent stock of vinyl which you could try before you bought. So it was as a callow 14 year old youth in 1968 that I walked up there one lunchtime with the 32 shillings and 6 pence which I'd diligently saved up. My mates were all into American bands like Moby Grape and Country Joe and the Fish but I decided to buy British. My choice was between Procol Harum and the Traffic album and choosing the latter proved to be a wise decision. I still play this record and the rest of my complete Traffic collection to this day; I went on to see them live three times and if push comes to shove I'd say that they're my all time favourite band.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Post #7 - 20 Aug 2019, 15:38

Nice purchase from an excellent group.

The first album I ever bought was Johnny Cash With His Hot and Blue Guitar, on Sun.
Members

Post #8 - 20 Aug 2019, 16:39

Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ; » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:38 pm wrote:Nice purchase from an excellent group.

The first album I ever bought was Johnny Cash With His Hot and Blue Guitar, on Sun.

I bought that fairly recently. I found an original 1959 UK issue (it came out two years after the US version) on a market stall in really good nick for £17.50 which was an excellent deal.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Post #9 - 20 Aug 2019, 16:50

Good for you...and the thing for me is - it's still a good fresh sounding album.
Members

Post #10 - 20 Aug 2019, 17:51

He's an amazing artist. :)
The Cocteau Twins
Members

Post #11 - 20 Aug 2019, 19:45

The Cocteau Twins » Today, 17:51 wrote:He's an amazing artist. :)

And he was well known at the truck stops around Nashville for buying the "whites' they had under the counter. :party:
Members

Post #12 - 20 Aug 2019, 19:47

Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ; » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:45 pm wrote:

And he was well known at the truck stops around Nashville for buying the "whites' they had under the counter. :party:

They're on sale at bus depots nowadays. :huh:
Jim Skidder
Members

Proud to be a plant wrangler from Texas. :)

Notts Forest 12 Leicester Soccer Club 0 - The biggest ever top tier defeat in the 131-year history of the Football League. :wanker:

Post #13 - 20 Aug 2019, 19:54

Jim Skidder » 5 minutes ago wrote:
Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ; » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:45 pm wrote:

They're on sale at bus depots nowadays. :huh:

Yes, it's so pleasant to ride on a bus driven by a professional driver, passengers don't want to fall asleep and miss out on any pleasantness. :)
Members

Post #14 - 20 Aug 2019, 21:35

Och, some wee cunt has hacked into our account, we ne'r poosted that. :angry:

Wee Johnny Cash was a nasty bit of work, and his cover of Nine Inch Nails' 'Hurt' soonded like a Highland banshee having it's bollocks minced for a haggis dish.

We cannae understand why he didnae do oor 'Fluffy Tufts'. :shrug:
The Cocteau Twins
Members

Post #15 - 20 Aug 2019, 21:43

But surely you appreciated Johnny's "genre-jump" to record Paul Anka's My Way and Barry Manilow's Copacabana, right? :) (I can't believe my luck in having speaks with the Cocteau Twins :pray: )
Members

Post #16 - 20 Aug 2019, 21:51

Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ; » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:43 pm wrote:But surely you appreciated Johnny's "genre-jump" to record Paul Anka's My Way and Barry Manilow's Copacabana, right? :) (I can't believe my luck in having speaks with the Cocteau Twins :pray: )

Och, we didnae like Paul Anka ( Wanka as oor Rrobin used to call him) or Barry Manilow. We cannae believe we're having words with a West Virginian hillbilly, ye's talking oot of yae flabby oold arse. :radged:
The Cocteau Twins
Members

Post #17 - 20 Aug 2019, 21:59

I am cramped into the BOQ shrine on the uphill grade out of Bim waiting for darkness and the rising of Zuben elbengubi - a holy occurrence. There was no way for you to have known this so I'll just say [1] internet reception in the shrine is the best this side of Bob White, WV, and [2] you three would be well advised to stuff oats into all the holes in your bodies. :pray:
Members

Post #18 - 20 Aug 2019, 22:09

The Cocteau Twins » 30 minutes ago wrote:Och, some wee cunt has hacked into our account, we ne'r poosted that. :angry:

Wee Johnny Cash was a nasty bit of work, and his cover of Nine Inch Nails' 'Hurt' soonded like a Highland banshee having it's bollocks minced for a haggis dish.

An observation or two: "Banshee" is one of the few words direct into English from the Irish. I doubt if it's common usage in Scotland. Are you reaching out? :)

Johnny was usually doing his wife's fluffy tuft to be concerned with yours. :shake:
Members

Post #19 - 20 Aug 2019, 22:12

Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ; » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:09 pm wrote:
The Cocteau Twins » 30 minutes ago wrote:Och, some wee cunt has hacked into our account, we ne'r poosted that. :angry:

An observation or two: "Banshee" is one of the few words direct into English from the Irish. I doubt if it's common usage in Scotland. Are you reaching out? :)

Proddy cunts FHC,SJ; , take no notice of them. :grrr:
Gruff
Members

Post #20 - 20 Aug 2019, 22:16

Gruff » 2 minutes ago wrote:
Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ; » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:09 pm wrote:

Proddy cunts FHC,SJ; , take no notice of them. :grrr:

They make wonderful music but on a personal level I shall take your advice and steer clear of he Protties although coming across them in West Virginia seems remote. Thanks for taking the time to post the warning :)
Members

Next

Return to General Chat

Website Security Test