View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 Greasy Roads' Magical Mystery New Year Break ; If you go away

Post #1 - 07 Jan 2019, 04:23

Day One

We're off again. GF Jnr drives up lunchtime to meet me at home. We load the cases into the BMW and as George is out hunting we leave without saying goodbye. Traffic is light and we make good time over the Cotswolds, very good time. We stop for a coffee on the M40 before driving the final 20 miles to our hotel near Heathrow. The room's enormous with two double beds. We relax and cheer Newport County on as they triumph in the cup. It's so good to see ex-Villa players like Marc Albrighton playing such decisive roles in matches. We take a walk in search of somewhere to eat: the neighbourhood is surprisingly shabby only a block away from the opulent concrete and glass hotels on the Bath Road. We eventually have a very average Italian meal at the hotel next door and retire back to the room. It's an early start in the morning.

Tonight's visual media: Narcos: Mexico Episode 5
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #2 - 07 Jan 2019, 08:35

Greasy Roads » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:23 am wrote: We relax and cheer Newport County on as they triumph in the cup. It's so good to see ex-Villa players like Marc Albrighton playing such decisive roles in matches.

Would you like the useless cunt back? :grrr:
routemaster
On The Buses

Grade A triple platinum cunt Image

Post #3 - 07 Jan 2019, 08:47

Greasy Roads » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:23 am wrote: We load the cases into the BMW and as George is out hunting we leave without saying goodbye.

Poor George, it's no wonder he fucks off for weeks at a time having an owner like you. :(
Aubrey The Cat In The Hat
Members

Post #4 - 07 Jan 2019, 08:50

Where are you flying out to, Greasy Roads? :)
Amber
Members

Post #5 - 07 Jan 2019, 12:30

Amber » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:50 am wrote:Where are you flying out to, Greasy Roads? :)

Somebody always comes up with this and you're going to have to wait until the morning to find out otherwise it wouldn't be a mystery. I'll give you a clue: there's snow on the mountains here. :)
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #6 - 07 Jan 2019, 12:40

Greasy Roads » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:30 pm wrote:
Amber » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:50 am wrote:Where are you flying out to, Greasy Roads? :)

Somebody always comes up with this and you're going to have to wait until the morning to find out otherwise it wouldn't be a mystery. I'll give you a clue: there's snow on the mountains here. :)

Mürren :wub:
Slushy
Members

Ich bin Arnold Mühren. Bitte alle austeigen Mütterficken.

Post #7 - 08 Jan 2019, 07:20

Day Two

It's an early start - at 5.30am the transfer bus picks us up from the hotel and takes us to the airport. We breeze through security and by 6.15 we're enjoying coffee and croissants in the departure lounge. The plane leaves on time and flies south-eastwards over Belgium, Germany, Slovenia, Croatia, then down the Adriatic coast to Greece where the plane turns abruptly East and finally lands at Athens. We get a cab into town and find our hotel which is underneath the Acropolis in an area filled with bric-a-brac shops and restaurants. It's cold but sunny and lovely walking round. I VPN into home to check that we'll be able to watch the match tonight on iPlayer. Having waded through loads of restaurants on TripAdvisor with inflated fake reviews I settle upon one just up the road and it's brilliant. I have young lamb chops and GF Jnr has Souvlaki. We're both shattered and go back to the hotel where we watch the match. Sight-seeing tomorrow.

Tonight's visual media: Wolves v Liverpool
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #8 - 08 Jan 2019, 08:13

Lamb chops and Souvlaki. :drool:

Stick with the more intimate tavernas rather than restaurants, I've not been to Athens only a few of the Greek Islands, but the taverna food is usually fantastic.

I've got the virus and I'm on picket duty today. :(

Enjoy. You cunt. :grrr:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #9 - 08 Jan 2019, 12:09

My motto is to never eat anywhere where there are pictures of the food.

The restaurant just round the corner we discounted was this:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... ttica.html

Although this comes 21 out of 2165 restaurants in Athens notice how all the excellent reviews are from people who've only reviewed a couple of places. For example 'zoeyingso' from Hong Kong has only made one review but gives this 5 stars. Where else has she eaten? Then look at the poor or terrible reviews: they're mostly from people who've reviewed many places and say it's bollocks.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #10 - 08 Jan 2019, 13:43

I don't take much notice of Trip Advisor, it gives you a rough idea but a lot of the reviewers are twats when you read into it.

I always say if an eatery is busy, it will usually be good. The best one in Zante a couple of years ago had us wait 20 minutes until we got a seat but it was well worth it.

Oh and look out for Bekri Meze on the menus, that would be right up your street I think.
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #11 - 08 Jan 2019, 15:23

routemaster » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:43 pm wrote:Oh and look out for Bekri Meze on the menus, that would be right up your street I think.

I think I might have a stifado tonight. :)
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #12 - 08 Jan 2019, 15:30

Greasy Roads » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:23 pm wrote:
routemaster » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:43 pm wrote:Oh and look out for Bekri Meze on the menus, that would be right up your street I think.

It'll give us something to talk about in the morning. :devil:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #13 - 08 Jan 2019, 18:44

routemaster » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:30 pm wrote:

It's been a while. :(
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #14 - 08 Jan 2019, 19:19

Greasy Roads » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:44 pm wrote:
routemaster » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:30 pm wrote:

It's been a while. :(

Some of us have picket lines to attend to. :angry:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #15 - 09 Jan 2019, 06:06

Day Three

Arctic conditions outside the Acropolis

I eventually get GF Jnr up for a late breakfast. There has been a really, really light dusting of snow overnight but the sun's out and it's a bright day. We walk up to the Acropolis but it's closed owing to inclement weather until further notice. I imagine it's manned by public sector workers who get paid whether they come to work or not and will retire on fat pensions. Makes my blood boil. Instead we wander around for a few hours taking in markets and churches. It's a great vibe here. After re-grouping at the hotel we decide on the Acropolis museum as preparation for tomorrow when hopefully the Acropolis itself will be open again unless, of course, the Bubbles have the work ethic of Teesside bus drivers. It's really good although they don't seem particularly pleased with Lord Elgin. Or the Turks who sold him the marbles. Later we eat at a Jewish place which isn't a patch on last night. I have meat balls and GF Jnr has the stifado.

Tonight's visual media: Spurs v Chelsea
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #16 - 09 Jan 2019, 09:42

Greasy Roads » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:06 am wrote: After re-grouping at the hotel we decide on the Acropolis museum as preparation for tomorrow when hopefully the Acropolis itself will be open again unless, of course, the Bubbles have the work ethic of Teesside bus drivers.

I'll have you know I stood for almost two hours outside our depot gates yesterday morning, in similar Arctic conditions. :angry:

Then we got bored and fucked off to the breakfast caravan for coffee and bacon buns. :)
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #17 - 09 Jan 2019, 09:57

Greasy Roads » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:06 am wrote:Day Three

Arctic conditions outside the Acropolis

I

thats a shame because i bet it was
lovely and warm inside .cant see

any snow thouhg so not arctic realy . ?
FreddieAndTheDreamersFuckOff
Members

Post #18 - 09 Jan 2019, 10:03

Greasy Roads » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:06 am wrote: I have meaty balls and GF Jnr has the stifado.

May the grace of God be with you, Greasy Roads. :pray:
Priory Jack
Members

Post #19 - 09 Jan 2019, 10:49

Greasy Roads » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:06 am wrote:
Tonight's visual media: Spurs v Chelsea

We'll smash those Yid cunts in the second leg. :)
Right Said Fred
Members

Post #20 - 10 Jan 2019, 06:35

Day Four

Rain is forecast around midday so we decide to put off the Acropolis until tomorrow. We go round the Ancient Agora which has a very impressive intact temple and then walk over the hill to visit the excellentUnderflow Records. Ted Gardener would really like this place, it has weird records about morse code and 'ting. I settle on one of the guy's private pressings by a group called sister. I'll play it when I get home. We take a look at more roons, the Olympian Temple before walking back to the hotel as rain is now threatening. This means missing the Ancient Library where the fabled ancient librarian Dannynoanysus drove all the punters away by chiselling corrections into the tablets. The afternoon's a washout but we watch another episode of the excellent Narcos: Mexico. GF Jnr has a long nap and by the time he wakes up it's early evening. We go to the same restaurant as Monday and I have the most wonderful sea bream while GF Jnr has moussaka. As I'm eating they're playing My Heart Must Go on their stereo so I'm imagining Alan Hutton getting the ball in our half and skipping past five Birmingham defenders before slotting the ball past the keeper with his wrong foot. Life doesn't get much better than this.

Tonight's visual media: Man City v Burton Albion
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Next

Return to General Chat