View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 What are you listening to? ; Any format

Post #321 - 29 Nov 2020, 20:58

phpBB [video]
routemaster
Essential Key Worker

Hit after hit! Image

Southampton 0-9 LCFC - the biggest ever away victory in the 132-year history of the Football League :lcfc:

Post #322 - 29 Nov 2020, 22:27

Lee Perry came out and said that English youth shaped reggae by what they supported and what they ignored.
That's pretty much true for most music when pursued professionally: give the people what they want (and will pay for).

Loners who support themselves in other ways can develop styles that can become influential on other musicians when the former get a wider audience. People like Mississippi John Hurt, Joseph Spence of the Bahamas, and Hasil Adkins did what they did without training or renumeration and got to present themselves with an intact style that people liked (sort of).

Some can't help being what they are no matter how little money they earn. I think Captain Beefheart is an example and maybe Thelonious Monk, who was bi-polar, and played what he played and was able to make a living at it.
Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ;
BOQ Lay Preacher

The justness of individual land right is not justifiable to those to whom the land by right of first claim collectively belonged.

Post #323 - 29 Nov 2020, 23:06

Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ; » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:27 pm wrote:Lee Perry came out and said that English youth shaped reggae by what they supported and what they ignored.
That's pretty much true for most music when pursued professionally: give the people what they want (and will pay for).

Loners who support themselves in other ways can develop styles that can become influential on other musicians when the former get a wider audience. People like Mississippi John Hurt, Joseph Spence of the Bahamas, and Hasil Adkins did what they did without training or renumeration and got to present themselves with an intact style that people liked (sort of).

Some can't help being what they are no matter how little money they earn. I think Captain Beefheart is an example and maybe Thelonious Monk, who was bi-polar, and played what he played and was able to make a living at it.

The Fall will have been in there somewhere, refusing to sell out for the money at times when it could have been so easy (Brix era, then Infotainment especially). The Fall relied on gigging to make ends meet, essential really as they rarely troubled the charts other than during periods mentioned. Yes, The Fall will come under the Beefheart /Thelonious catagory I think.
routemaster
Essential Key Worker

Hit after hit! Image

Southampton 0-9 LCFC - the biggest ever away victory in the 132-year history of the Football League :lcfc:

Post #324 - 29 Nov 2020, 23:15

^^This type of sensible talk has NO PLACE on a forum such as this!!! :grrr: :grrr:
Mushshrooms
Members

Post #325 - 29 Nov 2020, 23:21

routemaster » 12 minutes ago wrote:
Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ; » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:27 pm wrote:Lee Perry came out and said that English youth shaped reggae by what they supported and what they ignored.

The Fall will have been in there somewhere, refusing to sell out for the money at times when it could have been so easy (Brix era, then Infotainment especially). The Fall relied on gigging to make ends meet, essential really as they rarely troubled the charts other than during periods mentioned. Yes, The Fall will come under the Beefheart /Thelonious catagory I think.

I would put Mark Edward Smith at the top of the list because The Fall never seemed to have gotten the credit from the music press, and the media in general, that Thelonious and the Captain got.
BOQ Lay Preacher

The justness of individual land right is not justifiable to those to whom the land by right of first claim collectively belonged.

Post #326 - 29 Nov 2020, 23:22

Mushshrooms » 6 minutes ago wrote:^^This type of sensible talk has NO PLACE on a forum such as this!!! :grrr: :grrr:

I dispute your use of the word sensible when I was just running off at the mouth. But, a reply is a reply so... :)
BOQ Lay Preacher

Post #327 - 29 Nov 2020, 23:29

Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ; » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:21 pm wrote:
routemaster » 12 minutes ago wrote:

I would put Mark Edward Smith at the top of the list because The Fall never seemed to have gotten the credit from the music press, and the media in general, that Thelonious and the Captain got.

Hmm, maybe a cross-pond thing, but I think The Fall got a reasonable amount of music press adulation/commentary over here at least, more so than Beefheart or Monk. Really from the early days to the end, they rarely went un-noticed even during the more difficult times when record sales were right down. :thinking:
routemaster
Essential Key Worker

Hit after hit! Image

Post #328 - 29 Nov 2020, 23:32

Mushshrooms » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:15 pm wrote:^^This type of sensible talk has NO PLACE on a forum such as this!!! :grrr: :grrr:

Have you not got a bushfire to deal with yet? :wanker:
routemaster
Essential Key Worker

Hit after hit! Image

Post #329 - 29 Nov 2020, 23:45

Never heard too much about The Fall here although their records were reviewed, often favorably. They were mainly well known in Boston, New york, Chicago and L.A. I think. I only heard them on a college station.
Beefheart charted in the UK but not, I think, in the USA.
BOQ Lay Preacher

Post #330 - 29 Nov 2020, 23:55

Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ; » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:45 pm wrote:Never heard too much about The Fall here although their records were reviewed, often favorably. They were mainly well known in Boston, New york, Chicago and L.A. I think. I only heard them on a college station.
Beefheart charted in the UK but not, I think, in the USA.

There's a thing , TMR reached #21 in our album chart, Decals #20. Mirror Man and Spotlight Kid made top 50 and Crow scraped #90.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_B ... iscography
routemaster
Essential Key Worker

Hit after hit! Image

Post #331 - 29 Nov 2020, 23:59

I just looked up The Captain's discography and he and the Magic Band never had an album get into the Top 100 in the USA...at least the UK appreciated avant garde rock like TMR :clap:

(Decals got to #203)
BOQ Lay Preacher

Post #332 - 30 Nov 2020, 00:04

I'm afraid I didn't appreciate TMR, I tried but it was bloody awful. :lol:
routemaster
Essential Key Worker

Hit after hit! Image

Post #333 - 30 Nov 2020, 00:09

Probably my favorite...What's wrong with me anyway :lol:
BOQ Lay Preacher

Post #334 - 30 Nov 2020, 00:11

It's an acquired taste apparently... :grin:
routemaster
Essential Key Worker

Hit after hit! Image

Post #335 - 30 Nov 2020, 00:13

Dunno...I liked it from the first play and still like it a lot...One year it was all I listened to as I ran errands around town. :D
BOQ Lay Preacher

Post #336 - 30 Nov 2020, 00:35

routemaster » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:32 pm wrote:
Mushshrooms » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:15 pm wrote:^^This type of sensible talk has NO PLACE on a forum such as this!!! :grrr: :grrr:

Have you not got a bushfire to deal with yet? :wanker:

No,no "bushfires" here in Erpingham, it's about 6 degrees....
Have you been drinking?? :wtf: :wtf:
Mushshrooms
Members

Post #337 - 03 Dec 2020, 20:41

phpBB [video]

:)
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Cogito ergo cogito routemaster cunnus est.

Post #338 - 12 Dec 2020, 13:54

On the office radio just now...

phpBB [video]

routemaster
Essential Key Worker

Hit after hit! Image

Post #339 - 12 Dec 2020, 15:01

routemaster » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:54 pm wrote:On the office radio just now...

phpBB [video]

:grrr:
Jim Skidder
Higher Skilled Plant Worker

Location: Raising the Yellow Rose of Texas, even in the muddy creek
Cleveland is a shithole. Image

Post #340 - 12 Dec 2020, 15:42

Jim Skidder » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:01 pm wrote:
routemaster » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:54 pm wrote:On the office radio just now...

phpBB [video]

:grrr:

Och yae wee Texan cunt. :wanker:
The Cocteau Twins
Members

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Website Security Test