View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM



Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 YouTube Clips ; Post them here

Post #41 - 06 Jul 2020, 21:35

Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ; » 53 minutes ago wrote:I worked with people who were assigned to rescue people on the face of El Capitan.
Management shouldn't allow people to climb this face because it's too dangerous to rescue a person halfway up and stuck.
One of the reasons it's a popular climb is that it's visible from the park road and lodge and the
"hero" mountaineer gets an audience.

There's a trail with chains and cross bars to the top from the far side and in wet weather, it's really slippery. That is why the park service put the safety devices in.

One more thing: The face of El Capitan has (or maybe used to have - perhaps they got rangers to remove them) - hundred of pitons embedded in the granite. I tried to get management to make the climbers remove them after they've made the climb but it was pretty far down on our demand list and didn't get done at that time.


This guy did it without ropes.
Image
Image
That takes balls.
User avatar
Happy Jack
Members
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: 17th Oct 2019
Location: Tracked and traced at The Dog & Duck
Sweet and tender hooligan.

Post #42 - 06 Jul 2020, 21:40

Yes, free climbing. You can still get stuck and need to be rescued for a variety of reasons. Should be banned from Yosemite Valley at least.
User avatar
Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ;
BOQ Lay Preacher
 
Posts: 10389
Joined: 28th Jul 2019
Location: Way back in the hills
The justness of individual land right is not justifiable to those to whom the land by right of first claim collectively belonged.

Post #43 - 06 Jul 2020, 21:53

Happy Jack » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:35 pm wrote:
This guy did it without ropes.
Image
Image
That takes balls.

Yes it takes balls, no one would dispute that, but when things go wrong someone else has to risk their life rescuing them. :mellow:
User avatar
routemaster
Essential Key Worker
 
Posts: 341389
Joined: 4th Jan 2018
Location: North Yorkshire on t'moors
Hit after hit! Image

Southampton 0-9 LCFC - the biggest ever away victory in the 132-year history of the Football League :lcfc:

Post #44 - 06 Jul 2020, 22:28

I would imagine a rescuer would simply abseil down and rope them up. No risk really.
User avatar
Happy Jack
Members
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: 17th Oct 2019
Location: Tracked and traced at The Dog & Duck
Sweet and tender hooligan.

Post #45 - 06 Jul 2020, 23:11

We're talking about a 2000 foot cliff and one just doesn't rappel down 1000 feet [say] and reach the person in need of rescue. It's a multistage process with that length.
The rescuee needs to be secured and that takes equipment to rope him/her to the cliff face.
Each rescuer needs to be belayed as well as the litter when you get the rescuee in it.
Sometimes it's safer to lower the goofball with a ranger or two holding the litter to establish a stable platform and move the belayer(s) down to that point and lower away again.
Every step presents a life threatening situation because of the extreme exposure and being dependent on pitons, expansion bolts, cliff lugs, etc.
I think it's more hazardous bringing a climber to level ground - whether up or down - then a regular technical climb.
User avatar
Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ;
BOQ Lay Preacher
 
Posts: 10389
Joined: 28th Jul 2019
Location: Way back in the hills
The justness of individual land right is not justifiable to those to whom the land by right of first claim collectively belonged.

Post #46 - 07 Jul 2020, 06:28

Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ; » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:11 am wrote:We're talking about a 2000 foot cliff and one just doesn't rappel down 1000 feet [say] and reach the person in need of rescue. It's a multistage process with that length.
The rescuee needs to be secured and that takes equipment to rope him/her to the cliff face.
Each rescuer needs to be belayed as well as the litter when you get the rescuee in it.
Sometimes it's safer to lower the goofball with a ranger or two holding the litter to establish a stable platform and move the belayer(s) down to that point and lower away again.
Every step presents a life threatening situation because of the extreme exposure and being dependent on pitons, expansion bolts, cliff lugs, etc.
I think it's more hazardous bringing a climber to level ground - whether up or down - then a regular technical climb.

Isn't it like a cat being stuck up a tree though? They always come down eventually. :huh:
User avatar
Chavahoy
Members
 
Posts: 169
Joined: 20th Aug 2018

Post #47 - 07 Jul 2020, 11:09

Then you don't have a rescue, you have a body recovery.
User avatar
Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ;
BOQ Lay Preacher
 
Posts: 10389
Joined: 28th Jul 2019
Location: Way back in the hills
The justness of individual land right is not justifiable to those to whom the land by right of first claim collectively belonged.

Post #48 - 07 Jul 2020, 15:46

Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ; » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:09 pm wrote:Then you don't have a rescue, you have a body recovery.

Well that would certainly dissuade a few of the chancers if you left the bodies around for a few days.
User avatar
Chavahoy
Members
 
Posts: 169
Joined: 20th Aug 2018

Post #49 - 07 Jul 2020, 15:54

You make a good point. It would also provide a meal for the endangered California Condor, a vulture-like bird with a ten foot wingspan.
User avatar
Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ;
BOQ Lay Preacher
 
Posts: 10389
Joined: 28th Jul 2019
Location: Way back in the hills
The justness of individual land right is not justifiable to those to whom the land by right of first claim collectively belonged.

Post #50 - 18 Oct 2020, 09:02

phpBB [video]


:lol:
User avatar
Greasy Roads
Country Member
 
Posts: 5908
Joined: 4th Jan 2018
Location: Leafy Worcestershire, hub of the universe
Cogito ergo cogito routemaster cunnus est.

Post #51 - 20 Oct 2020, 20:40

phpBB [video]


phpBB [video]


:)
User avatar
swearng
Members
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 8th Jan 2020

Post #52 - 28 Nov 2020, 12:25

phpBB [video]


:D
User avatar
Greasy Roads
Country Member
 
Posts: 5908
Joined: 4th Jan 2018
Location: Leafy Worcestershire, hub of the universe
Cogito ergo cogito routemaster cunnus est.

Post #53 - 28 Nov 2020, 12:47

Greasy Roads » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:25 pm wrote:
phpBB [video]


:D

I thought it was cats who had nine lives. :clap:
User avatar
routemaster
Essential Key Worker
 
Posts: 341389
Joined: 4th Jan 2018
Location: North Yorkshire on t'moors
Hit after hit! Image

Southampton 0-9 LCFC - the biggest ever away victory in the 132-year history of the Football League :lcfc:

Post #54 - 07 Feb 2021, 11:41

phpBB [video]


Crazy German motherfucker shows how to make a gun from a bicycle pump. The manic laughter :grin:
User avatar
Happy Jack
Members
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: 17th Oct 2019
Location: Tracked and traced at The Dog & Duck
Sweet and tender hooligan.

Post #55 - 23 Feb 2021, 11:36

phpBB [video]


Over 2 hours of Lee Mack being hilarious on WILTY.
User avatar
Happy Jack
Members
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: 17th Oct 2019
Location: Tracked and traced at The Dog & Duck
Sweet and tender hooligan.

Post #56 - 23 Feb 2021, 16:02

David Mitchell rants on WILTY


phpBB [video]
User avatar
Happy Jack
Members
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: 17th Oct 2019
Location: Tracked and traced at The Dog & Duck
Sweet and tender hooligan.

Post #57 - 27 Feb 2021, 14:39

phpBB [video]


:grin:
User avatar
Chavahoy
Members
 
Posts: 169
Joined: 20th Aug 2018

Post #58 - 27 Feb 2021, 17:34

routemaster » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:53 pm wrote:
Happy Jack » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:35 pm wrote:
This guy did it without ropes.
Image
Image
That takes balls.

Yes it takes balls, no one would dispute that, but when things go wrong someone else has to risk their life rescuing them. :mellow:


Why would they 'rescue' a corpse? It's hardly going to be able to thank them - no-one could survive a fall from that height. :shrug:
User avatar
Sonofsmegma
The Smegma Family
 
Posts: 4835
Joined: 10th Apr 2018
Location: Trying to keep away from dad, because he's a cunt.
Will the real God please stand up?

Post #59 - 27 Feb 2021, 20:00

Sonofsmegma » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:34 pm wrote:
routemaster » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:53 pm wrote:
Happy Jack » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:35 pm wrote:
This guy did it without ropes.
Image
Image
That takes balls.

Yes it takes balls, no one would dispute that, but when things go wrong someone else has to risk their life rescuing them. :mellow:


Why would they 'rescue' a corpse? It's hardly going to be able to thank them - no-one could survive a fall from that height. :shrug:

You brain dead cretin, I didn't say they'd fallen, I meant they could get stuck. :wanker:
User avatar
routemaster
Essential Key Worker
 
Posts: 341389
Joined: 4th Jan 2018
Location: North Yorkshire on t'moors
Hit after hit! Image

Southampton 0-9 LCFC - the biggest ever away victory in the 132-year history of the Football League :lcfc:

Post #60 - 27 Feb 2021, 20:12

They could get stuck and often can neither go up, sideways, or down - it happens more than a person would think.

As to rescuing a corpse: It's a body recovery and you can't leave a body out in the park except in the rarest of circumstances when it's recognized as being too dangerous for rangers to get to it and come back safely.
User avatar
Father Hasil Cocteau, SJ;
BOQ Lay Preacher
 
Posts: 10389
Joined: 28th Jul 2019
Location: Way back in the hills
The justness of individual land right is not justifiable to those to whom the land by right of first claim collectively belonged.

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Website Security Test