View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 The Fall - Top 50 Songs

Post #1 - 23 Jul 2020, 13:37

Hi, here's my Top 50 Fall songs, hopefully I don't get to lambasted. God I love this band, thought 'd share with the team who really knows. Hope you like it.

https://thepressmusicreviews.wordpress. ... -50-songs/
Motherfucker77
Members

Post #2 - 23 Jul 2020, 14:26

Welcome to my forum.

It's not an unreasonable list but where's I Come And Stand At Your Door?

I'll need to do the obvious error checks.

48. A New Face in Hell

This track originally appeared on their excellent third studio album, 1980’s Grotesque (After the Gramme). This was when BBC radio presenter and guitarist Marc Riley was still in the band. He does a great job on this crisp, bouncy track along with long-term guitarist and Fall stalwart Craig Scanlon. Along with other classics such as The NWRA, you can hear budding 90s indie rock eg: Slanted and Enchanted-era Pavement.

This sounds nothing like Pavement.

47. Telephone Thing

Released at the time when Madchester was all the rage, The Fall beat them at their own game with the synth-drive and high-tech production of Telephone Thing. Lifted off 1990’s career-highlight Extricate, the track was co-written by MES with Coldcut members Matt Black and Jonathan More and released as a relatively successful single in January 1990.

It reached #58 in the UK singles chart, so could hardly claim to be relatively successful. White Lightning reached #56, Why Are People Grudgeful #43, Free Range #40, Victoria #35 and There's A Ghost In My House #30, all of which were clearly much more successful.

46. (Jung Nev’s) Antidotes

Monstrously urgent track taken from the great underrated masterpiece The Marshall Suite (1999), featuring a new patchwork line-up following a major band split. Jung Nev is a reference to co-writer Neville Wilding, the new guitarist for the group.

It's not monstrously urgent, it's a dull industrial dirge.

45. Just Waiting

The Fall’s take on the Hank Williams song from the 50s includes the line: “The cretin is waiting for U2 to come on MTV again.” Mark nails this country, Dylan-esque ditty off 1992’s underrated Code: Selfish, with the solid backing of long-time band-mates Scanlon and Steve Hanley (bass).

One should never use cover versions in these lists, especially tedious ones like this.

44. Arid Al’s Dream

Something of a lost Fall song that only appeared in an issue of the CD magazine Volume. In it Smith ruminates over his interest in “pre-psycognition” through a tale of the sexually frustrated title character. An unnerving and bizarre a song, it ended up on an album called Sinister Waltz (1996), a good collection of unreleased and rare tracks.

Sinister Waltz was a very poor selection of out-takes, demos and live tracks with no liner notes.

43. Taking Off

Not all albums by The Fall are brilliant or even listenable. Some are tedious, abrasive and at times a tough slog. Ersatz GB (2011) is one of those albums. There’s a few others too; but it’s not all bad. This track though is the best song on the album

This track is not the best on the album, Cosmos 7 is.

39. Black Roof

Co-written with Tim Presley (aka White Fence) who joined The Fall around the time of the underwhelming Reformation T.L.C (2007), and stuck around for the good Re-Mit, and even better Sub-Lingual Tablet, and features on this melodic yet way-too-short lo-fi oddity off the latter.

This is phoned in nonsense and has no place in any Fall "best of" list.

37. Eat Y’self Fitter

Smith’s American wife and rhythm guitarist Brix Smith made her debut with the group on Rough Trade’s magnificent Perverted By Language (1983) before the label hit it big with The Smiths. The Fall with Brix (and increasingly into the 1980s) introduced a more pop-friendly sound, none more so than on the high-pitched rhythm and rockabilly chug of this increasingly irritating track.

Pop friendly? I don't think so.

31. I’m a Mummy

The interesting thing about the album this track comes from, the difficult and oft-ignored Levitate (1997), is that it includes several obscure covers. Something The Fall have always done well. This fun track is one of them. It has an irresistible surf/garage simplicity, with Smith comically relating alienation of cartoon dimensions, over an uncontrollably infectious hook.

It's excellent, but as noted we don't need covers here.

30. Mountain Energei

The Fall made a comeback after 2001’s listless Are You Are Missing Winner with The Real New Fall LP (Formerly ‘Country on the Click’) in 2003, which found them back in fine form. On track two of the album, Smith manages to rhyme Dolly Parton with Lord Byron over an irresistible Dr Who-inspired synth line and loping guitar figure.

AYAMW is far from listless, and Orbital and The Timelords were inspired by Dr Who, not The Fall.

27. Mr Pharmacist

The rollicking Mr Pharmacist is taken from an essential Fall classic: Bend Sinister (1986) – the last of three albums in a row produced by John Leckie. This punchy cover is sheer fun, but is at odds with much of the material on this dark and brooding album, made at the height of the group’s Beggars Banquet years.

Another cover. Stop it.

25. The Man Whose Head Expanded

The six disc Complete Peel Sessions 1978-2004 is as an essential collection as any in the history of music, and this white hot version is from a Peel session in 1985. Originally a blistering Rough Trade 7″ from 1983, it ended up on the near-perfect early-80s singles compilation Palace of Swords Reversed (1987).

Utter drivel, the Peel version was a horrid techno mix and POSR was much more than a singles compilation.

23. Hit the North

Released as a 7″ in 1987, this much loved dance-based minor hit packed to the gills with sax riffs, guitars and sub-disco drums is a Fall pop-tastic classic, eventually appearing on the The Frenz Experiment (1988).

It was not much loved as it charted lower than White Lightning.

21. Victoria

A cover of the Kinks song marked the first entry into the British charts for The Fall reaching a respectable number 35 and ended up on decidedly “accessible”, lighter and commercial sounding The Frenz Experiment. This is Brix Smith territory and new keyboard player Marcia Schofield provide the album a strangely glamorous feel. Super-polished by Fall standards.

Another cover. Desist.

20. Cab It Up!

A rollicking live favourite off the bizarre and extremely patchy I Am Kurious Oranj (1988), the soundtrack for a avant garde ballet. The group and the Smith’s marriage was breaking up, and as Fall albums go it’s incoherent.

Patchy? Incoherent? I don't think you're taking this seriously.

18. Couldn’t Get Ahead

Recorded as a double A side single alongside the exceptional rockabilly cover of Rollin’ Dany, both tracks eventually appeared on various reissues on one of The Fall’s very best albums This Nation’s Saving Grace (1985), simply one of the best rock albums of the 1980s (eg: the sequence of My New House, Paintwork and I Am Damo Suzuki is one of The Fall’s finest 10-odd minutes on record).

My New House, Paintwork and I Am Damo Suzuki equate to 17m 34s in total.

16. I’m Frank

MES and Brix parted ways around the time of Extricate and the group promptly signed to UK label Fontana, taking a melodic (the lovely Bill Is Dead) and at times funky (Sing! Harpy) approach on much of the material; including the addictive and streamlined guitar riffage of the marvellous I’m Frank; “gimmie gimmie gimmie it slowly, baby.”

MES and Brix parted in June 1989, eight months before Extricate was released.

15. The Classical

This opening rave-up off arguably the best album by The Fall: Hex Enduction Hour (1982), is a great representation of the sound of the entire album, or even The Fall for that matter. It’s their two-drummer phase, a seminal four-on-the-floor anthem, and sums up their fuck-you-very-much attitude best.

I will not have this racist song about niggers mentioned on my forum.

12. Leave the Capitol

Another track of the essential EP Slates, it has a glorious double tracked vocal on the chorus: “Leave the Capitol, exit this Roman shell”, and is a throbbing infectious masterpiece. The Fall at their best. This material would forever alter the course of independent music.

I'm very surprised you didn't make the usual schoolboy error and call it Leave The Capital - well done you.

8. Cruisers Creek

Closer from masterpiece This Nation’s Saving Grace, it’s an awesome abrasive rocker. It’s also an insistent catchy tune, mixing confident songwriting, strong musicianship and a blistering double-tracked MES vocal with Brix on twangy guitar.

Rocker? They are The Fall not Hawkwind.

6. Contraflow

The driving Contraflow, a feedback-drenched and heavy-duty number on which MES gleefully repeats the lines, “I hate the countryside so much/I hate the contraflow so much.” is a swirling and menacing assault off The Real New Fall LP, an album of incredible variety. Ben Pritchard kicks out some of the best slash-and-burn guitar work heard on a Fall record since Craig Scanlon’s dismissal in 1995.

Ben Pritchard was an average pub-rocker, not Eddie Van Halen.

4. New Big Prinz

In its two versions that top and tail I Am Kurious Oranj, this is the opening track and very much the centre piece of the album, although on the live version on I Am as Pure as Oranj, it is played over Hip Priest which gives us a clue to its roots.

Are you saying New Big Prinz and Big New Prinz are variations of Hip Priest? Preposterous.

2. R.O.D

It stands for Realm of Dusk.

It stands for Realm Of Dan.

1. Blindness

The centrepiece of Fall Heads Roll, this colossal drum beat and mesmerising, churning bass stomp, defiant lyrics with MES at his best with random utterances – it’s classic Fall from its opening “the flag is evil” to its closing “blind man, have mercy on me!”. A Freudian, surrealist motif of the blind man and blindness, this lurching Peel version is nothing short of monstrous, from the backwards guitar to the intermittent keyboards motif – proof the Fall hadn’t lost it in the mid-2000s.

This entry is probably about right.

What is really required is a ranking that includes every song, if you can be getting on with that.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #3 - 23 Jul 2020, 16:19

What a complete waste of time.
Joan Con
Members

Post #4 - 23 Jul 2020, 16:51

dannynomates » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:26 pm wrote:
What is really required is a ranking that includes every song, if you can be getting on with that.

Dan

Great, so this will be another cunt who'll turn it into a book and plagiarise my work. :grrr:
Fat Bob
Members

Post #5 - 23 Jul 2020, 21:42

Fat Bob » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:51 pm wrote:

Dan

Great, so this will be another cunt who'll turn it into a book and plagiarise my work. :grrr:

I'm about to beg for some crowdfunding as I type. :fu:
Motherfucker77
Members

Post #6 - 24 Jul 2020, 07:32

Motherfucker77 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:42 pm wrote:
Fat Bob » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:51 pm wrote:

Dan

I'm about to beg for some crowdfunding as I type. :fu:

:grrr:
Fat Bob
Members

Post #7 - 28 Jul 2020, 07:41

It's a fine list but you've made the mistake of thinking 'Blindness' is any good.

Unfortunately this forum is not the place to disabuse you of that notion.
Joan Con
Members

Post #8 - 28 Jul 2020, 07:42

Boring, and tiresome, good thing about it live ... that it's long, you could go for a pee, do your lipstick, go to the bar, and get back to your spot, and wait out the last minute before the next song.
Starsky-Jalfrezi
Members

Post #9 - 28 Jul 2020, 07:43

Starsky-Jalfrezi » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:42 am wrote:Boring, and tiresome, good thing about it live ... that it's long, you could go for a pee, do your lipstick, go to the bar, and get back to your spot.

That's exactly what I used to do. :)
Buys Curios
Members

Post #10 - 28 Jul 2020, 09:44

Joan Con » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:41 am wrote:It's a fine list but you've made the mistake of thinking 'Blindness' is any good.

IT'S A FUCKING AWFUL LIST AND IF HE WAS ALIVE TODAY MY MAN WOULD TURN IN HIS GRAVE READING IT.

THERE'S NOT A SINGLE SONG FROM MY ALBUM 'NEW FACTS EMERGE', WHILE THE BRIX BITCH AND THE ELENI COW ARE ALL OVER THE BLOG . :grrr:
VAMPIRA PANDER
Members

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM

Post #11 - 30 Jul 2020, 18:07

Joan Con » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:41 am wrote:It's a fine list but you've made the mistake of thinking 'Blindness' is any good.

I liked it.

Better than that racist 'The Classical' crap.

The fucking Guardian reading Fall fans - like dad :wanker2: - and a few others on the shit forum go on about racist this, racist that, here there and everywhere, but somehow MES does it, he gets a free pass. :rolleyes:

Twats. :wanker:
Sonofsmegma
The Smegma Family

If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.

Post #12 - 30 Jul 2020, 19:11

Sonofsmegma » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:07 pm wrote:
Joan Con » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:41 am wrote:It's a fine list but you've made the mistake of thinking 'Blindness' is any good.

I liked it.

Better than that racist 'The Classical' crap.

I said upthread I would not have this song about the blackies mentioned on my non-racist forum.

Sonofsmegma warned for mentioning 'The Classical'.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Return to Fallen Related Discussion

Website Security Test cron