View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 You Must Hear Them All ; The Peel Sessions

Post #81 - 05 Jan 2020, 00:10

When you get it published Steve70nearly, just say they're all from MCR and all piss over that version due to superior production techniques. It's a great session that shows how the album should have sounded. A quick snip here and an add on there should fix a dodgy review. :)
thesnippedpriestess
Members

Post #82 - 11 Jan 2020, 23:45

Session Eighteen - 17th December 1994

MES
Craig Scanlon - guitar
Steve Hanley - bass
Brix Smith - guitar, vox
Dave Bush - keyboards
Simon Wolstencroft - drums
Karl Burns - drums

10 months on and immediately we are struck with the news that not one but two ex-Fall members have returned - Brix Smith and Karl Burns were back in the fold. :clap: And thus we are provided with a festive session, first a re-run of Glam Racket segued with a Brix composition, Star, to make Glam Racket-Star. It is amazing, the play off between the two vocal lines is simply astonishing, and the glam-rock beat provided by the group is upped in tempo compared to the original. Next two Xmas specials, Jingle Bell Rock and Hark! The Herald Angels Sing - both purposely abysmal with Brix howling out a terribly pitched chorus line to the latter. To conclude we have Numb At The Lodge, an early version of Feeling Numb that would appear on the next album Cerebral Caustic two months later. Also on the show was another session by Elastica, who must have been in cahoots with The Fall as they too played a couple of Xmas numbers. And to complete the seasonal flavour, this years Festive Fifty began it's run down, featuring among others Hole, Nirvana and the magnificent Underworld. You can't really ask for much more. :)
In the news, Rover announced the production of the once popular Montego and Maestro had ended, and a high court ruled that Myra Hindley would never be released. I had a Maestro once. :(

Has to be...
phpBB [video]

...but bugger me in Beddgelert can these Youtube uploaders not use an image from the right era? :angry:
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #83 - 12 Jan 2020, 08:07

Ooh, I was reading this in the middle of night when little Lewis woke me up. It's so much better than last week's. :clap:
Amber
Members

Post #84 - 12 Jan 2020, 11:41

Amber » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:07 am wrote:Ooh, I was reading this in the middle of night when little Lewis woke me up. It's so much better than last week's. :clap:

Thank you Amber, I couldn't be arsed last week so thought I'd better write more this week. :)
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #85 - 18 Jan 2020, 07:21

Session Nineteen - 22nd December 1995

MES
Brix Smith - Guitar
Steve Hanley - Bass
Julia Nagle - Keyboards
"Funky" Simon Wolstencroft - Drums
Karl Burns - Drums
Lucy Rimmer - Vocals

Late in 1995, serious changes would take place. Dave Bush would be ousted from his keyboards to be replaced with Julia Nagle, but even more surprising, Craig Scanlon was removed due to basically not being arsed anymore. Craig had been onboard for an unprecidented 16 years, but things in Fall world were beginning to crumble. He Pep! and Oleano were both to be released on the Light User Syndrome in the summer whereas Chilinist was on The Chiselers single and Nancy Sinatra's The City Never Sleeps was only recorded for this season. I love Oleano, it's a fabulous song powered by an irresistible 4-note motif which anchors the whole thing. Also on the Peel show this night were Prince Far I in session and tracks from Dick Dale and Whirling Pig Dervish. In the real world David Cone signed a $19.5 million 3 year contract with the NY Yankees. My publisher's going to love this.

My favourite track: Oleano

phpBB [video]
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #86 - 18 Jan 2020, 14:20

That's another great review Steve, I agree with you about Oleano. I also love HePep! , both these are better than the album tracks. Poor Little Lewis got upset when Brixie screamed. :lol:
Amber
Members

Post #87 - 18 Jan 2020, 23:29

I smell plagiarism here. I will be investigating.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #88 - 19 Jan 2020, 00:46

Amber » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:20 pm wrote:That's another great review Steve, I agree with you about Oleano. I also love HePep! , both these are better than the album tracks. Poor Little Lewis got upset when Brixie screamed. :lol:

Thank you Amber, Little Lewis is a brave little fella attempting to listen to Oleano. :lol:

@dannynomates, it's all my own work you interfering cunt, concentrate on fixing my punctuation for the book publishers. :angry:
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #89 - 19 Jan 2020, 09:06

Steve70nearly » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:46 pm wrote:
Amber » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:20 pm wrote:That's another great review Steve, I agree with you about Oleano. I also love HePep! , both these are better than the album tracks. Poor Little Lewis got upset when Brixie screamed. :lol:

Thank you Amber, Little Lewis is a brave little fella attempting to listen to Oleano. :lol:

@dannynomates, it's all my own work you interfering cunt, concentrate on fixing my punctuation for the book publishers. :angry:

viewtopic.php?p=47526#p47526

routemaster wrote:Late in 1995, serious changes would take place. Dave Bush would be ousted from his keyboards to be replaced with Julia Nagle, but even more surprising, Craig Scanlon was removed due to basically not being arsed anymore.

Steve70nearly warned for plagiarism.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #90 - 19 Jan 2020, 09:11

The thieving bastard, I wondered why the Twitter likes were back up again. :grrr:
routemaster
Essential Key Worker

Hit after hit! Image

Southampton 0-9 LCFC - the biggest ever away victory in the 131-year history of the Football League :lcfc:

Post #91 - 19 Jan 2020, 09:13

routemaster » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:11 am wrote:The thieving bastard, I wondered why the Twitter likes were back up again. :grrr:

So sue me you cunt. I'll be raking it in when the book's published. :)
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #92 - 20 Jan 2020, 00:16

Steve70nearly » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:13 am wrote:
routemaster » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:11 am wrote:The thieving bastard, I wondered why the Twitter likes were back up again. :grrr:

So sue me you cunt. I'll be raking it in when the book's published. :)

It won't be published, I've already warned you for plagiarism, which is bad enough at the best of times, but completely out of order on my forum. Well I've decided I won't be editing your work for grammatical failings anymore, you're on your own from now on.

Steve70something warned for smug and high handed expectations.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #93 - 25 Jan 2020, 21:52

Session 20 - 18th August 1996

MES
Brix Smith - Guitar
Steve Hanley - Bass
Julia Nagle - Keyboards
"Funky" Si Wolstencroft - Drums
Karl Burns - Drums

Quite a short turnaround since the last, the only casualty in that 8 month period being Lucy Rimmer. Sadly though things behind the scenes were falling apart, this was to be the last appearance on a Peel session from Brix and Funky Si. On offer this time were two tracks from the recent Light User Syndrome LP - D.I.Y. Meat and Spinetrak, both played fast and furiously, and imo a step up from their original counterparts. MES himself though did seem to struggle a bit keeping up. Next was a new track called Spencer which would appear on the next LP Levitate a year later in a very different form. Here it was a weird synth-heavy tune with MES' vocals deep in the mix and difficult to decipher. The final track was a cover of an old Captain Beefheart song, Beatle Bones 'N' Smokin' Stones. I'm no Beefheart fan so can't really comment, but tickle me in Tywyn this was a fascinating remake that must have pleased Peel no end. Also on tonight's show, tracks from The Wedding Present, Billy Bragg and Nuw Idol. Nothing newsworthy happened of note and the bloody Spice Girls were #1 in the hit parade with Wannabe.

Let's play them all with yet another out of era image. :rolleyes:
phpBB [video]

...Beatle Bones is growing on me already. :)
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #94 - 25 Jan 2020, 22:17

Ooh, great stuff Steve70nearly. Tickle you in Tywyn indeed. :)
Amber
Members

Post #95 - 25 Jan 2020, 22:32

Amber » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:17 pm wrote:Ooh, great stuff Steve70nearly. Tickle you in Tywyn indeed. :)

Thank you Amber, you'd be very welcome. :grin:
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #96 - 01 Feb 2020, 08:27

Session Twenty One - 3rd March 1998

MES
Steve Hanley - Bass
Julia Nagle - Keyboards
"Funky" Simon Wolstencroft - Drums
Karl Burns - Drums
John Rolleson - backing vocals

Eighteen months after the last session the group was rapidly approaching meltdown: this would be Hanley's last Peel session after a run of nearly eighteen years and Brownies was only a month away. Of the broadcast tracks, Calendar was a collaboration with Badly Drawn Boy and had recently been released on a single with Masquerade. Touch Sensitive would be released as a single in a year's time and Jungle Rock was on the Levitate album which was released the previous year. Also on the Peel show tonight were Lee Perry, Ultravibe, and Soft Machine. In the real world Celine Dion was riding high in the charts, Villa were above Leicester City, and construction on the Milennium Dome began.

My favourite track: Touch Sensitive

phpBB [video]
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #97 - 01 Feb 2020, 22:39

I've had a terrible week. Little Lewis has been teething and he's been keeping me up all hours. :(

Then I read this. :cry2:
Amber
Members

Post #98 - 01 Feb 2020, 22:54

Amber » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:39 pm wrote:I've had a terrible week. Little Lewis has been teething and he's been keeping me up all hours. :(

What up Amber?
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #99 - 01 Feb 2020, 23:07

Steve70nearly » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:54 pm wrote:
Amber » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:39 pm wrote:I've had a terrible week. Little Lewis has been teething and he's been keeping me up all hours. :(

What up Amber?

I'll tell you what's up, you've written a very poor chapter. It seems to dwell too much on nonsense like Celine Dion and Aston Villa, neither of whom I care for, whilst getting basic Fall facts irretrievably wrong. To wit; "Funky" Simon Wolstencroft left the gruppe a full seven months prior to this recording. Also Julia played guitar as well as keyboards on this session. Shoddy is not the word, and I can only assume you jotted this down in a hurry having spent the afternoon watching STM Sports lose 3-0 to Connor's Quay Nomads in the Welsh League Cup final.

Steve70nearly warned for schoolboy errors and alienating one of our female members.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #100 - 02 Feb 2020, 08:33

dannynomates » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:07 pm wrote:
Steve70nearly » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:54 pm wrote:

What up Amber?

I'll tell you what's up, you've written a very poor chapter. It seems to dwell too much on nonsense like Celine Dion and Aston Villa, neither of whom I care for, whilst getting basic Fall facts irretrievably wrong. To wit; "Funky" Simon Wolstencroft left the gruppe a full seven months prior to this recording. Also Julia played guitar as well as keyboards on this session. Shoddy is not the word, and I can only assume you jotted this down in a hurry having spent the afternoon watching STM Sports lose 3-0 to Connor's Quay Nomads in the Welsh League Cup final.

Steve70nearly warned for schoolboy errors and alienating one of our female members.

Dan

I can't win, can I? When I look stuff up I get warned for plagiarism and when I try to do stuff from memory I get warned for making mistakes. :angry:
Steve70nearly
Members

PreviousNext

Return to Fallen Related Discussion

Website Security Test