View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 You Must Hear Them All ; The Peel Sessions

Post #61 - 24 Nov 2019, 10:42

Amber » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:38 pm wrote:
I hope Connor gets it up on Twitter soon so others can read it.

All sorted Amber, though in future inform dannynomates as it's his job rather than bothering me.
Connor
Site Admin

Post #62 - 30 Nov 2019, 09:09

Session Thirteen - January 1st 1990

MES
Craig Scanlon - Guitar
Steve Hanley - Bass
Martin Bramah - Guitar
Marcia Schofield - Keyboards
Kenny Brady - Violin
"Funky" Simon Wolstencroft - Drums

Over a year had elapsed since the last session and it was the changing of the guard: Brix had gone and Martin Bramah had returned. Fall Sound was filled out with the violin of Kenny Brady. They broadcast Chicago Now, Black Monk Theme, and Hilary. Whizz Bang was recorded but never broadcast as apparently MES was unhappy with it. The broadcast tracks were all from the upcoming album Extricate and were characterised by that record's less pop feel with Brix leaving. This New Year's Day programme also featured tracks from Little Anthony and the Imperials, Dick Dale, Blind Faith, and Bradford City Football Club. Nothing much in the news but this was the first day of Glasgow being the European Capital Of Culture, so no doubt Gruff will be along to give his opinion.

My favourite track: Hilary

phpBB [video]
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #63 - 01 Dec 2019, 00:07

Oh Steve70nearly, you've excelled yourself this time, though I don't care for that violin playing. It upset Little Lewis too. :(

Great review though. :clap:
Amber
Members

Post #64 - 01 Dec 2019, 00:16

Glasgow - European Capital Of Cunts more like - proddy cunts. :grrr:
Gruff
Members

Post #65 - 07 Dec 2019, 23:02

Session Fourteen - 23 March 1991

New fiend...

MES
Craig Scanlon - Guitar
Steve Hanley - Bass
Simon Wolstencroft - Drums
Kenny Brady - Fiddle

Pared down to a basic foursome plus Brady on fiddle, The Fall provided their next session comprising of all new material from the forthcoming Shift-Work album. They played The War Against Intelligence (a most appropriate title), Idiot Joy Showland, A Lot Of Wind and The Mixer, an in all honesty it wasn't the greatest of adverts, although true to the finished product. My main complaint is the hideous Brady fiddle playing which was way too high in the mix, though Craig and Steve do their utmost best at drowning the bugger out. The rest of the show wasn't much better featuring the likes of The Farm and The Boo bloody Radleys, though The Shamen also had a new session aired, and that was most enjoyable. :)

We'll have Idiot Joy Showland with no fiddle, but a great Hanley bassline. :clap:
phpBB [video]

And we'll have Hyperreal by The Shamen because they mixed the original with the Meat Beat Manifesto remix, and blow me in Betws-Y-Coed it's good. :banana:
phpBB [video]
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #66 - 08 Dec 2019, 08:33

This is really good again Steve70nearly, I do so enjoy them. :clap:
Amber
Members

Post #67 - 08 Dec 2019, 09:12

Amber » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:33 am wrote:This is really good again Steve70nearly, I do so enjoy them. :clap:

Thank you Amber, I was worried I might upset some people but I have to be honest. :)
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #68 - 08 Dec 2019, 23:56

It's a fine review Steve70nearly, this session was always going to be a hurdle.
loadofpony
Members

Post #69 - 14 Dec 2019, 08:03

Session Fifteen - February 15th 1992

MES
Craig Scanlon - Guitar
Steve Hanley - Bass
Dave Bush - Keyboards

It was nearly a year since the last session and Kenny Brady was thankfully gone to be replaced by Dave Bush was wasn't half as intrusive. Free Range and Return were from a forthcoming single, Immortality turned up on the Code: Selfish album, and the magnificent Kimble got a single release on Peel's own Strange Fruit label the following year. The Peel wingding also featured God Machine, Cords, and Bratmobile. No, me neither. In the real world Right Said Fred were at the top of the charts.

My favourite track: Kimble

phpBB [video]
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #70 - 14 Dec 2019, 14:20

Another great review Steve70nearly, Kimble is brilliant isn't it? Even Little Lewis bobs around to that one. :)
Amber
Members

Post #71 - 14 Dec 2019, 23:32

Steve70nearly » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:03 am wrote: In the real world Right Said Fred was at the top of the charts.

Is this a euphemism for when I got mashed off my tits after Chelsea smashed Oldham Athletic 4-2? :lcfc:
Right Said Fred
Members

Post #72 - 15 Dec 2019, 11:30

Steve70nearly » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:03 am wrote:
It was nearly a year since the last session and Kenny Brady was thankfully gone to be replaced by Dave Bush was wasn't half as intrusive.

I thought dannynomates was supposed to be proof reading for this sort of ungrammatical bollocks?
Joan Con
Members

Post #73 - 21 Dec 2019, 23:38

Session Sixteen - March 13th 1993

MES
Craig Scanlon - Guitar
Steve Hanley - Bass
Dave Bush - Keyboards
"Funky Si" Wolstencroft - Drums

13 months on and a stable line up provided a session previewing the next LP 'The Infotainment Scan', to be released in April. And another stonker it was, with Bush's keyboards now firmly established. We heard Ladybird (Green Grass), one of those Hanley masterclass songs, Strychnine that Peel had played earlier in the show in it's original form by The Sonics, Service and Paranoia Man In Cheap Sh*t Room. All were excellent, though Strychnine didn't appear on the album but became a firm live favourite for many years. Also on tonight's show was a repeat of Aphex Twin's debut session, plus tunes from Elvis Presley and William Shatner, something for everyone then. Curiously Sister Sledge had a remix of their Lost In Music classic riding high in the charts, and it would not be long before The Fall's version was unleashed to an unsuspecting audience. :)

I'm having Ladybird - classic Hanley @1m 28s, and flick me in Ffestiniog those drums...
phpBB [video]
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #74 - 22 Dec 2019, 09:22

Ooh this is very good as usual Steve70nearly. Happy Christmas! :)
Amber
Members

Post #75 - 22 Dec 2019, 09:28

Amber » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:22 am wrote:Ooh this is very good as usual Steve70nearly. Happy Christmas! :)

Thank you Amber, and a very merry Xmas to you too. Little Lewis's first as well. You Must Hear Them All will return in the New Year. :)
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #76 - 29 Dec 2019, 22:35

Steve70nearly » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:28 am wrote: You Must Hear Them All will return in the New Year. :)

Why the delay? :wtf:

It's always a moving read. Hard to think about this weekend now without the thought of what's to come. There's an unfillable gap in my life's firmament. :(
thesnippedpriestess
Members

Post #77 - 01 Jan 2020, 21:32

thesnippedpriestess » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:35 pm wrote:
Steve70nearly » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:28 am wrote: You Must Hear Them All will return in the New Year. :)

Why the delay? :wtf:

It's always a moving read. Hard to think about this weekend now without the thought of what's to come. There's an unfillable gap in my life's firmament. :(

I'm always busy with my sheep over the Xmas period snippy, but the next one will be up tonight and then I can concentrate on writing Session 17 for the weekend.

The break got me thinking though, only eight weeks to go so I now I have to decide what to do with the rest of my 2020... Try and knock YMHTA into a publishable state? It'll be odd without the Youtube links, but we shall see. I'm thinking of contacting Ladybird, someone else got their blog published with them and it looks great. :)

Steve70nearly
Members

Post #78 - 04 Jan 2020, 08:05

Session Seventeen - 5th February 1994

MES
Craig Scanlon - Guitar
Steve Hanley - Bass
Dave Bush - Keyboards

This was, by Fall standards an incredibly stable line up having lasted two years and three sessions.
M5 and Behind The Counter were from the latest single which had been released before Christmas, The Reckoning was from the forthcoming long player Middle Class Revolt and Hey! Student was part of the 15 Ways 12" single. Also on the Peel show this evening were the excellent Man Or Astro-Man?, The Edgar Broughton Band and Rancid Hell Spawn. Sorry it's a bit short this week but I've had loads of meetings with my publisher.

My favourite track: Behind The Counter

phpBB [video]
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #79 - 04 Jan 2020, 23:33

Short but sweet, Steve70nearly, so glad you're back. :clap:
Amber
Members

Post #80 - 04 Jan 2020, 23:40

Steve70nearly » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:05 am wrote:Session Seventeen - 5th February 1994

Sorry it's a bit short this week but I've had loads of meetings with my publisher.

Bullshit, you've been to the Cardiff match and the useless cunts got held by Carlisle. :wanker:
Right Said Fred
Members

PreviousNext

Return to Fallen Related Discussion

Website Security Test