View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 You Must Hear Them All ; The Peel Sessions

Post #41 - 19 Oct 2019, 06:02

Session Seven - January 1984

There was a bit of a gap this time but this beauty was out just after Christmas. And Brix arrives.

MES
Brix Smith - Guitar
Craig Scanlon - Guitar
Steve Hanley - Bass
Paul Hanley - Drums
Karl Burns - Drums

Fall sound had changed, as it had done before and after. Brix's addition heralded a great era for the group. The session comprised: Pat Trip Dispenser, 2 x 4, Words Of Expectation, and C.R.E.E.P. Pat Trip Dispenser and C.R.E.E.P.were released as a 45, 2×4 appeared on The Wonderful and Frightening World of the Fall and Words Of Expectation, although unreleased in studio form, formed the spine of Living Too Late. The show also featured a session from The Chevalier Brothers and Stanley Winston hoping that there would be No More Ghettos In America, a wish that sadly has not come true.

Probably not everyone's choice but my favourite's Pat Trip Dispenser:

phpBB [video]
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #42 - 19 Oct 2019, 08:39

Great stuff as always Steve70nearly, I read it while doing my breathing exercises. :clap:

Surely these sprogs are going to drop soon...
Amber
Members

Post #43 - 19 Oct 2019, 09:55

Steve70nearly » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:02 am wrote:
Words Of Expectation, although unreleased in studio form, formed the spine of Living Too Late.

I've read this theory somewhere else, so not only is it plagiarism, it's utter horse shit too. :rolleyes:

WOE would have been my choice here, the rest is great too of course, but WOE is a country furlong ahead. :huh:
loadofpony
Members

Post #44 - 26 Oct 2019, 20:27

Session Eight - June 1985

Couldn't get a hairdo... :grin:

MES
Brix Smith - Guitar, vocals
Craig Scanlon - Guitar
Steve Hanley - Bass
Simon Rogers - Guitar, Keyboards
Karl Burns - Drums

Session eight arrived almost 18 months after the last, and following a slight line up change. Cruisers Creek (a single kept for the following December), Couldn't Get Ahead (the then current single), and two tracks from the forthcoming LP This Nation's Saving Grace - namely Spoilt Victorian Child and Gut Of The Quantifier. All were played pretty well as per their finished product, though SVC sounds a tad better here as the mix seems more open. All in all then a damn fine session. This show was the first since the horror at the Heysel Stadium, at which Peel had been present though thankfully not caught up in - he was apparently suitably subdued that evening. A good show though also featuring New Order, The Cramps, Jesus & Mary Chain and The Cookie Crew.

Woe is Welshpool, we can't have Spoilt Victorian Child on Youtube, it'll have to be the complete session instead (SVC @8m 25s). :)
phpBB [video]
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #45 - 27 Oct 2019, 07:25

Excellent as always Steve70nearly. I'm about ready to pop. :)
Amber
Members

Post #46 - 02 Nov 2019, 07:03

Session Nine - October 1985

There was only a short wait this time for this autumn offering.

MES
Brix Smith - Guitar
Craig Scanlon - Guitar
Steve Hanley - Bass
Simon Rogers - Guitar,Keyboards
Karl Burns - Drums

The session kicks off with the best ever version of L.A. from the recently released TNSG. We're back to the single drum sound with Paul Hanley having recently left. The Man Whose Head Expanded was unexpected, having been released as a single a couple of years previously. We're back to the album for What You Need before capping it off with Faust Banana. The group shared this programme with a session from Billy Bragg and tracks from The Smiths and The Housemartins.

My favourite? It has to be L.A.

phpBB [video]
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #47 - 02 Nov 2019, 17:54

I haven't had time to read this Steve, baby is keeping me up all hours. :cry2:

I'm sure it's fascinating as always. :)
Amber
Members

Post #48 - 02 Nov 2019, 20:37

Amber » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:54 pm wrote:
I'm sure it's fascinating as always. :)

It's a load of shit, Amber, the best ever L.A. was the one on Seminal Live.

Also why the fuck is he using an image from the Clitheroe Castle gig four months earlier? :wtf:
Joan Con
Members

Post #49 - 03 Nov 2019, 07:22

You should change your name to Moan Con. :grrr:
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #50 - 09 Nov 2019, 10:10

Session Ten - July 1986

Fuck it, let the beard grow. :rolleyes:

MES
Craig Scanlon - Guitar
Steve Hanley - Bass
Simon Rogers - Guitar, keyboards
"Funky" Simon Wolstencroft - Drums

Aired the same day as the 'Living Too Late' single was issued, this session features 'Hot Aftershave Bop' from the b-side plus 'R.O.D.' , 'Gross Chapel - G.B. Grenadiers' and 'U.S. 80's 90's' from the soon to be released Bend Sinister LP. All but the closing track are a cut above their regular counterparts, the drumming on 'R.O.D.' by new sticksman Simon Wolstencroft being particularly awesome. Have to say U.S. 80's 90's never quite did it for me, but it's still better than a wet weekend in Barry. :) Also on the show a session from Age Of Chance, and some This Mortal Coil.

We'll have R.O.D.
phpBB [video]
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #51 - 09 Nov 2019, 10:39

Little Lewis is tiring me out but I'm still enjoying these Steve70nearly. :)
Amber
Members

Post #52 - 09 Nov 2019, 11:36

Amber » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:39 am wrote:Little Lewis is tiring me out but I'm still enjoying these Steve70nearly. :)

Thank you Amber, I know how you're suffering, I have up to 30 of the little blighters at lambing time. :wtf:
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #53 - 09 Nov 2019, 23:15

Hmm, do you, as a Fall fan, think these Peel session tracks were played 1% faster than on BS? :heart:
Kleenex Cesarewitch
Luvs Pies

Post #54 - 16 Nov 2019, 16:38

Dad's looking after Little Lewis today so I was hoping to read Steve70nearly's review of session 11. :mellow:
Amber
Members

Post #55 - 16 Nov 2019, 20:30

Session Eleven - May 1987

MES
Craig Scanlon - Guitar
Steve Hanley - Bass
Simon Rogers - Guitar, keyboards
"Funky" Simon Wolstencroft - Drums

Although the eleven months that had elapsed sice the last session was not so long it was generally eons in Fall Time. Not so in this instance: the line up was the same and the sound wasn't wildly different. They played Athlete Cured, Australians In Europe, Twister, and Guest Informant. Two were forthcoming B sides and two were tracks from the forthcoming Frenz Experiment LP. Also featuring in this programme were Eurovision winner Johnny Logan and the Marquess of Bath. You couldn't accuse John Peel of having narrow tastes.

It's Guest Informant, but here's the lot.
phpBB [video]
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #56 - 16 Nov 2019, 21:51

Thank you Steve70nearly, I'd have picked Athlete Cured but Guest Informant is cool too. :clap:
Amber
Members

Post #57 - 16 Nov 2019, 22:15

Steve70nearly » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:30 pm wrote: They played Athlete Cured, Australians In Europe, Twister, and Guest Informant. Two were forthcoming B sides and two were tracks from the forthcoming Frenz Experiment LP.

No, this is incorrect. If the usual proviso is employed, viz-a-viz the LP in it's vinyl format, only one, Athlete Cured was from the forthcoming Frenz Experiment. Guest Informant hardly qualifies as the vinyl LP only featured an excerpt. But of course the CD and cassette versions of TFE featured all the songs here apart from Australians In Europe, so your words are somewhat confusing. I would suggest it would be simpler to say one was a forthcoming B side (Australians In Europe) and three were from the forthcoming LP in it's expanded CD version. Of course you will argue that Guest Informant (excerpt) constitutes the full song for the purposes of your project description, but you would be ill advised to do so.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #58 - 16 Nov 2019, 22:34

dannynomates » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:15 pm wrote:
Steve70nearly » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:30 pm wrote: They played Athlete Cured, Australians In Europe, Twister, and Guest Informant. Two were forthcoming B sides and two were tracks from the forthcoming Frenz Experiment LP.

No, this is incorrect. If the usual proviso is employed, viz-a-viz the LP in it's vinyl format, only one, Athlete Cured was from the forthcoming Frenz Experiment. Guest Informant hardly qualifies as the vinyl LP only featured an excerpt. But of course the CD and cassette versions of TFE featured all the songs here apart from Australians In Europe, so your words are somewhat confusing. I would suggest it would be simpler to say one was a forthcoming B side (Australians In Europe) and three were from the forthcoming LP in it's expanded CD version. Of course you will argue that Guest Informant (excerpt) constitutes the full song for the purposes of your project description, but you would be ill advised to do so.

Dan

:wanker:
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #59 - 23 Nov 2019, 11:22

Session Twelve - October 1988

MES - Vocals
Craig Scanlon, Guitar
Steve Hanley - Bass
Marcia Schofield - Keyboards, vocals
Simon Wolstencroft - Drums

A warm welcome to new girl Marcia Schofield on keyboards. Hot on the heels of the "I Am Curious Oranj" performances in Amsterdam, Edinburgh and Sadlers Wells, this belting session featured three songs, Deadbeat Descendant, Cab It Up and Kurious Oranj from the play, plus a new song Squid Lord (to become Squid Law on it's official release the next year). The three from the play were faultless, Simon's drumming being particularly brilliant. The new song was a slightly new sound, a bit harder with MES in particularly vitriolic form. Also in the show Napalm Death, Happy Mondays, The Wedding Present (sung in Ukrainian) and Fred Lane & His Hittite Hot Shots. A very fine mixture I'm sure you'll agree. :)

I'm choosing Cab It Up, but frisk me in Ffestiniog, you need the full session. :wub:
phpBB [video]

Sadly this would be Brix's last Peel Session, at least for a few years. :mellow:
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #60 - 23 Nov 2019, 22:38

That's smashing Steve70nearly, my sister is looking after Little Lewis so I've listened to this all day. :)

I hope Connor gets it up on Twitter soon so others can read it.
Amber
Members

PreviousNext

Return to Fallen Related Discussion

Website Security Test