View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 40 Years of The Fall ; A year by year best of thing

Post #221 - 15 Apr 2019, 08:06

dannynomates » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:58 am wrote:
routemaster » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:51 am wrote:
dannynomates » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:35 am wrote:
routemaster » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:07 am wrote:Eleni sings some lines on Greek.

Do you ever read this stuff after you've written it?

Dan

Check the time of posting. Take into account I'm six days into eight at work equating to almost 90 hours. Then fuck off. :angry:

Have you ever thought of becoming a librarian?

Dan

Have you ever thought of topping yourself? :grrr:
routemaster
On The Buses

Grade A triple platinum cunt Image

Post #222 - 15 Apr 2019, 09:46

:wanker:
Sonofsmegma
The Smegma Family

Post #223 - 21 Apr 2019, 21:06

Jim Watts admires Eleni's minimoog hours before getting sacked yet again. :mellow:

2004 was to see another frantic round of coming and going. Early in the year Dingo stepped aside allowing Steve Trafford a job on bass. Dingo would still be a regular helper for much of The Fall's future career working in production, engineering and occasional instrumentation. In the Summer Jim Watts returned alongside Ben on guitar while Spencer Birtwistle would also re-appear replacing Dave Milner on drums. By December however, Jim was out for good.

Music wise, a quiet one, basically the one single 'Theme From Sparta F.C. #2' - a revamped version of Sparta from last year's TRNFLP. This version was faster, poppier and generally better than the last, the guitars slightly less upfront while Eleni enjoyed extra vocal duties. She still sang in Greek but I'm sure there's a line about a "supermarket standby". :lol: B-side was a missable live 'My Ex Classmate's Kids', but the CD single added a hidden track in mp3 format only playable on a computer - 'Portugal'. An unusual song not involving MES at all, it recalled incidents on the Portuguese tour where the road crew were allegedly subjected to abuse from MES. Ben and Dave provided vocals here, along with a heavily rock influenced instrumentation that I imagine Ben having a field day playing. Possibly the only song ever to include the word "Snotballs!". :) 'Portugal' would also appear in proper form on the U.S. version of TRNFLP that the Americans got in 2004. Finally on the single, a video of 'Sparta' which was quite peculiar, based on nothing that the song seemed to be about. They use the original (withdrawn) COTC mix of the song for this, it features less Eleni vox but more of her squiggly keyboards.

There was more studio stuff this year, a compilation album 'Interim' appeared late on featuring an odd mixture of live, and studio rehearsal work - the rehearsals presumably for the benefit of Steve Trafford, but also allowing a sneak preview of some future material for the fans as well as remakes of older material. Of the studio stuff, 'Blindness' was most interesting, a thunderous bass coupled with random out of tune keyboards created a slow and menacing track sadly cut down to a three minute edit. 'I'm Ronnie The Oney' was a 90 second instrumental that suggested greater things to come, but it never got any further other than a five minute bootleg version many years later that still had no words. A 'Mod Mock Goth' with real drums was an improvement on the original and 'Sparta #3' featured an updated more chiming guitar line that I particularly liked. Eleni did the shouty section herself here too which was nice, but MES got on a right pickle with "Gala-uh-satray". :laugh: Lastly 'Boxoctosis Alarum' was a remake of the TRNFLP song, again with improved (imo) guitar line, but with a godawful alarm clock bang in the middle of the song which buggered it up completely. :rolleyes:

We can't be putting rehearsals on the winning list, but luckily 'Sparta #2' is a belting song, so although predictable, it's my pick of the year. :lcfc:
phpBB [video]

As a treat because I'm generous like that, here's the weird video with the original COTC version. :)
phpBB [video]

Next year would be very interesting for me...
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #224 - 21 Apr 2019, 21:23

Ooh this is well up to your usual high standard routemaster. :clap:
Amber
Members

Post #225 - 21 Apr 2019, 21:35

Amber » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:23 pm wrote:Ooh this is well up to your usual high standard routemaster. :clap:

Thank you Amber. :)
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #226 - Today, 08:00

This is just the usual sloppy standard I'm afraid. Summer is a common noun and as such does not require capitalization.

routemaster warned for poor proofreading.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #227 - Today, 08:15

dannynomates » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:00 am wrote:This is just the usual sloppy standard I'm afraid. Summer is a common noun and as such does not require capitalization.

Dan

Speak the Queen's English you cunt, it's "capitalisation" unless you're a Yank. :grrr:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #228 - Today, 08:32

routemaster » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:15 am wrote:
dannynomates » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:00 am wrote:This is just the usual sloppy standard I'm afraid. Summer is a common noun and as such does not require capitalization.

Dan

Speak the Queen's English you cunt, it's "capitalisation" unless you're a Yank. :grrr:

This browser at the university has had an American autocorrect put on it over the Easter holidays. I will contact the IT helpdesk.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Previous

Return to Fallen Related Discussion