View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 40 Years of The Fall ; A year by year best of thing

Post #221 - 15 Apr 2019, 08:06

dannynomates » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:58 am wrote:
routemaster » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:51 am wrote:
dannynomates » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:35 am wrote:
routemaster » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:07 am wrote:Eleni sings some lines on Greek.

Do you ever read this stuff after you've written it?

Dan

Check the time of posting. Take into account I'm six days into eight at work equating to almost 90 hours. Then fuck off. :angry:

Have you ever thought of becoming a librarian?

Dan

Have you ever thought of topping yourself? :grrr:
routemaster
On The Buses

Hit after hit! Image

Post #222 - 15 Apr 2019, 09:46

:wanker:
Sonofsmegma
The Smegma Family

Post #223 - 21 Apr 2019, 21:06

Jim Watts admires Eleni's minimoog hours before getting sacked yet again. :mellow:

2004 was to see another frantic round of coming and going. Early in the year Dingo stepped aside allowing Steve Trafford a job on bass. Dingo would still be a regular helper for much of The Fall's future career working in production, engineering and occasional instrumentation. In the Summer Jim Watts returned alongside Ben on guitar while Spencer Birtwistle would also re-appear replacing Dave Milner on drums. By December however, Jim was out for good.

Music wise, a quiet one, basically the one single 'Theme From Sparta F.C. #2' - a revamped version of Sparta from last year's TRNFLP. This version was faster, poppier and generally better than the last, the guitars slightly less upfront while Eleni enjoyed extra vocal duties. She still sang in Greek but I'm sure there's a line about a "supermarket standby". :lol: B-side was a missable live 'My Ex Classmate's Kids', but the CD single added a hidden track in mp3 format only playable on a computer - 'Portugal'. An unusual song not involving MES at all, it recalled incidents on the Portuguese tour where the road crew were allegedly subjected to abuse from MES. Ben and Dave provided vocals here, along with a heavily rock influenced instrumentation that I imagine Ben having a field day playing. Possibly the only song ever to include the word "Snotballs!". :) 'Portugal' would also appear in proper form on the U.S. version of TRNFLP that the Americans got in 2004. Finally on the single, a video of 'Sparta' which was quite peculiar, based on nothing that the song seemed to be about. They use the original (withdrawn) COTC mix of the song for this, it features less Eleni vox but more of her squiggly keyboards.

There was more studio stuff this year, a compilation album 'Interim' appeared late on featuring an odd mixture of live, and studio rehearsal work - the rehearsals presumably for the benefit of Steve Trafford, but also allowing a sneak preview of some future material for the fans as well as remakes of older material. Of the studio stuff, 'Blindness' was most interesting, a thunderous bass coupled with random out of tune keyboards created a slow and menacing track sadly cut down to a three minute edit. 'I'm Ronnie The Oney' was a 90 second instrumental that suggested greater things to come, but it never got any further other than a five minute bootleg version many years later that still had no words. A 'Mod Mock Goth' with real drums was an improvement on the original and 'Sparta #3' featured an updated more chiming guitar line that I particularly liked. Eleni did the shouty section herself here too which was nice, but MES got on a right pickle with "Gala-uh-satray". :laugh: Lastly 'Boxoctosis Alarum' was a remake of the TRNFLP song, again with improved (imo) guitar line, but with a godawful alarm clock bang in the middle of the song which buggered it up completely. :rolleyes:

We can't be putting rehearsals on the winning list, but luckily 'Sparta #2' is a belting song, so although predictable, it's my pick of the year. :lcfc:
phpBB [video]

As a treat because I'm generous like that, here's the weird video with the original COTC version. :)
phpBB [video]

Next year would be very interesting for me...
routemaster
On The Buses

Hit after hit! Image

Post #224 - 21 Apr 2019, 21:23

Ooh this is well up to your usual high standard routemaster. :clap:
Amber
Members

Post #225 - 21 Apr 2019, 21:35

Amber » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:23 pm wrote:Ooh this is well up to your usual high standard routemaster. :clap:

Thank you Amber. :)
routemaster
On The Buses

Hit after hit! Image

Post #226 - 23 Apr 2019, 08:00

This is just the usual sloppy standard I'm afraid. Summer is a common noun and as such does not require capitalization.

routemaster warned for poor proofreading.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #227 - 23 Apr 2019, 08:15

dannynomates » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:00 am wrote:This is just the usual sloppy standard I'm afraid. Summer is a common noun and as such does not require capitalization.

Dan

Speak the Queen's English you cunt, it's "capitalisation" unless you're a Yank. :grrr:
routemaster
On The Buses

Hit after hit! Image

Post #228 - 23 Apr 2019, 08:32

routemaster » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:15 am wrote:
dannynomates » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:00 am wrote:This is just the usual sloppy standard I'm afraid. Summer is a common noun and as such does not require capitalization.

Dan

Speak the Queen's English you cunt, it's "capitalisation" unless you're a Yank. :grrr:

This browser at the university has had an American autocorrect put on it over the Easter holidays. I will contact the IT helpdesk.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #229 - 27 Apr 2019, 06:36

This is actually a good read.
Potty
Members

Post #230 - 27 Apr 2019, 20:53

Potty » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:36 am wrote:This is actually a good read.

Thank you Potty, I can't usually finish a sentence.
routemaster
On The Buses

Hit after hit! Image

Post #231 - 28 Apr 2019, 22:47

For FlowerCake and Potty. :)

MES laughs off the woeful drinks selection on offer at the BBC bar. :wtf:

A year with no line up change, let us crack on. :) A special year for me, for whatever reason I found myself watching the Jools Holland show one night early in the year. Following Robert Plant, and thankfully minus Holland and his infernal boogie woogie piano accompaniment, The Fall arrived onstage. I had not seen them for 13 years or so and was shocked at the sight and sound of MES at this stage in his career. Yet the sound was awesome, obviously a very different Fall from the one I sacked after Shiftwork, but this new Fall seemed good. Especially the song they closed the show with, it was called 'Blindness'. I rushed out and bought the Peel Sessions Box Set a few weeks later, then set about collecting all I'd missed over those Fall free years. Mrs RM hated me, as did my bank manager. :mellow:

One album and one single this year, we can ignore the single as both tracks appeared on the album. 'Fall Heads Roll' was released in October so I rushed out and bought it. Hoots of derision from Mrs RM as track one 'Ride Away' was absolutely abysmal. Basically an MES and Eleni duet, her keyboards being highest in the mix, it was a bloody embarrassment imo, yet one real Fall fans took great pleasure in. :shrug: Track two bought some relative sensibility, 'Pacifying Joint' wasn't essential, but sounded good. Again keyboard led, it was an ode to drug taking as a teenager, MES looking back at his younger days? 'What About Us?' next was a similar tune and subject matter, but a much better arranged track musically. Dr. Harold Shipman had been in the news giving out drugs left and right to old ladies, and MES was questioning why he hadn't been offered any. Amusing in a dark way, but a great track. 'Midnight In Aspen' tones it down a bit, an acoustic number primarily, co-written by Steve Trafford who would use it again to his advantage many years later in another project. 'Assume' slams in next, an attempt at rock? Ben Pritchard certainly thought so as he chimed out a not very pleasant guitar riff, but the full blown all instrument heads down thrash that follows as the chorus is I suppose appealing to the right audience. MES meanwhile tells us of "the humes" whatever they are. There's another part of 'Aspen' next to break the noise before we're thrown headlong into 'Blindness'. I shouldn't speak of Peel Sessions here because this is not about them, but the Peel Session version of 'Blindness' was a latter day classic. Deep heavy basslines, wonky keyboards deliberately out of tune and a disturbing lyric with MES almost succeeding his old falsetto at times, it was seven minutes of pure brilliance. I was therefore slightly disappointed that the final LP version seemed to fall down a bit. Maybe production issues? It just seemed a bit flat, all the ingredients were still there but it was lacking something, and disintegrated to a wall of noise towards the end. I can't emphasise enough how amazing a track it is, but LP mix is not the best. :mellow: 'I Can Hear The Grass Grow' was the single, a cover of The Move's song, it was OK but the slowed down version on the US single was terrible. I noted a bit of an Eleni synth line that cropped up every now and then adding a touch of psychedelica? Again Pritchard gets a bit carried away with the guitar posturing. :rolleyes: 'Bo Demmick' next, a Bo Diddley (I suppose) inspired rockabilly track that is great fun, I'm particularly liking Trafford's bass here which carries the whole thing along. The US single has a version called 'Bo Doodack' which is similar but less upfront, the original be best. And so to more rock posturing, but 'Youwanner' is much more like it. Bass is by Dingo this time, the guitars can be heard more cleanly and interestingly thought out than in 'Assume' and the drumming by Spencer is fantastic. It's upbeat and uplifting, MES reacting against all things that hold you back and declaring "youwanner" spend a bit of time together, presumably with a partner? That sort of thing. :) 'Clasp Hands' is next, the b-side of the UK single, and a nice uptempo strum along that sadly loses the Trafford plays 'Elves' bassline featured on the Peel version. It's so annoying, but again this is not about Peel versions. Ignore the next two 'Early Days Of Channel Fuhrer' and 'Break The Rules', they're shite and it's late. The closing song 'Trust In Me' is entertaining, very Bend Sinister and in particular 'ROD', it's dark and sinisterly disturbing as possibly Trafford and some guest vocalists invite themselves as doctors after surgery to come to your house, where they will do it for free. Yes, OK.... :D

A winner is needed. I'm so close to giving it to 'Youwanner', but there's no getting past 'Blindness' is there? Yes the UK LP mix was a bit rubbish, and I can't have a Peel session, but the US vinyl mix sort of merged the two and provides the requirement here. God know why the Yanks get the best deal. :rolleyes:

phpBB [video]

So FHR was 50/50, but as the lyric in 'Youwanner' says, "work in progress"? Let's see how 2006 turns out. :)
routemaster
On The Buses

Hit after hit! Image

Post #232 - 29 Apr 2019, 07:29

Why did your bank manager hate you? If you were in credit he would pay you less interest and if you were overdrawn you would pay him overdraft charges. He doesn't sound like much of a bank manager.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #233 - 29 Apr 2019, 15:27

I don't know why I bother. :shake:
routemaster
On The Buses

Hit after hit! Image

Post #234 - 29 Apr 2019, 17:32

routemaster » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:27 pm wrote:I don't know why I bother. :shake:

Well I like it routemaster. :)
Amber
Members

Post #235 - 29 Apr 2019, 18:15

Some nicely completed sentences here, RM. It’s getting better. :clap:
FlowerCake
Members

I hail the new puritan

Post #236 - 29 Apr 2019, 19:33

Amber » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:32 pm wrote:
routemaster » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:27 pm wrote:I don't know why I bother. :shake:

Well I like it routemaster. :)

Yes Amber, we know and look what happened. :laugh:

Sorry, thanks. :)
routemaster
On The Buses

Hit after hit! Image

Post #237 - 29 Apr 2019, 19:34

FlowerCake » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:15 pm wrote:Some nicely completed sentences here, RM. It’s getting better. :clap:

Cheers F
routemaster
On The Buses

Hit after hit! Image

Post #238 - 29 Apr 2019, 21:16

:coffee:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

World is turning, hope it don't turn away.

Post #239 - 29 Apr 2019, 21:22

Greasy Roads » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:16 pm wrote:

:coffee:

No one likes a Tory Fall fan. :grrr:
T. Totale
Hates Tory Scum

Post #240 - 03 May 2019, 23:03

The Fall på Øyafestivalen i 2006, med Mark E. Smiths ustoppelige energi. :)

Well this will be tricky. The Fall had some sort of tradition whereby they would release at least one studio track per year, from the beginning in 1978 to the end in 2017. Hence this 40 Year thing. 2006 would prove to be awkward for the project while maintaining that tradition, they released just one studio recording. :wtf:

A difficult year, not helped by a trip to America which is never a good idea. One night in Phoenix, a member of a support band threw a banana skin at MES midway through The Fall's set. MES took umbridge and took the assailant outside, presumably to give the blighter a good hiding. Unfortunately the rest of the gruppe bar Eleni decided they'd had enough of Mark's behaviour and flounced off home leaving the tour in tatters. I for one could never understand this reaction, surely they'd back him up, but no, off they fucked. :(

Amazingly, Narnack Records who The Fall were signed to over there came up trumps (no US pun intended) and provided label mates Tim Presley (guitar), Rob Barbato (bass and huge ZZ Top beard) and ever smiley Orpheo McCord (drums) from other bands, to assist and complete that tour. They also provided for the magnificent Oyafestivalen Festival in Oslo on my birthday that year, I wish I'd been there. :) The Dudes, as they affectionately became known, were great and were to assist well into the following year. After that tour, MES gradually bought in Pete Greenway (guitar), Dave Spurr (bass) and by the end of the year Keiron Melling (age 12, drums) for some live shows. A curious combination of all these members, some in, some out whatever the situation, would be The Fall through well into 2007.

The one studio recording though was by the old group. 'Higgle-dy Piggle-dy' was an old Monks song The Fall had covered for a tribute album in 2006. It was a rough and ready performance, I suppose pretty well emulating the original, MES attempting the last yodelling act of his career? Eleni adds an occasional synth noise which is a bit psychedelic, and Ben is commended for avoiding any rock posturing in favour of a good old garage rock thrash. Here we go...

phpBB [video]

Sorry but I can't resist an Oyafestivalen track too. Hop hop hop... :)
phpBB [video]
routemaster
On The Buses

Hit after hit! Image

PreviousNext

Return to Fallen Related Discussion

Website Security Test