View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 40 Years of The Fall ; A year by year best of thing

Post #101 - 10 Dec 2018, 17:55

dannynomates » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:53 pm wrote:
Greasy Roads » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:28 pm wrote:Why not just post a photo from 1988? :wtf:

I'm frankly appalled that whoever does the Twitter feed has removed routemaster's original photo of the Seminal Live sleeve and replaced it with another photo from the wrong year. Just because routemaster failed to locate a photo from the relevant year is no reason to make him look ridiculous, and he will now see his likes and retweets soar as a result of these irresponsible actions. I really should take charge of the Twitter side of my forum as it doesn't represent my ways sufficiently.

Personally I would have used this image from 1989, the fact it makes Brix look like she's done ten pints of Kestrel Super and a large spliff is irrelevant, it's all about correctness.

Dan

15 likes and 5 retweets says you're a cunt.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #102 - 10 Dec 2018, 19:06

Greasy Roads » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:55 pm wrote:
dannynomates » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:53 pm wrote:
Greasy Roads » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:28 pm wrote:Why not just post a photo from 1988? :wtf:

I'm frankly appalled that whoever does the Twitter feed has removed routemaster's original photo of the Seminal Live sleeve and replaced it with another photo from the wrong year. Just because routemaster failed to locate a photo from the relevant year is no reason to make him look ridiculous, and he will now see his likes and retweets soar as a result of these irresponsible actions. I really should take charge of the Twitter side of my forum as it doesn't represent my ways sufficiently.

Personally I would have used this image from 1989, the fact it makes Brix look like she's done ten pints of Kestrel Super and a large spliff is irrelevant, it's all about correctness.

Dan

15 likes and 5 retweets says you're a cunt.

6 retweets.

Warning to Greasy Roads for mod abuse.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #103 - 10 Dec 2018, 19:45

Well to whoever updates this Twitter thing, I'm grateful.

It's the image I nearly used for 1988, the one in HMV where Brix has trouble with an earring, Steve and Craig drift into semi-consciousness over a can of John Smiths, and Marcia and Simon look longingly at MES as he cracks open a tube of Smarties. :grin:

routemaster
On The Buses

Grade A triple platinum cunt Image

Post #104 - 16 Dec 2018, 16:35

Central Park, NY, 1990.

And so, as with 1983, it was necessary for the group to recover from losing a well loved member. And as with 1983, they did so with style and plenty of music. In a bid to replace Brix, MES drafted in an old face from the early days, Martin Bramah returned on second guitar and quickly made his presence known. An album and three singles this year, first up was a radical move away from traditional Fall material, 'Telephone Thing' was a fantastic slab of acid house produced by Coldcut who were big on the club circuit back in the day. Possibly the only song ever to mention Gretchen Franklin in it's lyrics, she being Dot Cotton's friend Ethel in East Enders. She had a Pug dog too like Brix has now. The single was closely followed by an LP, 'Extricate'. Of the highlights, and there are plenty, 'Sing Harpy' was a vicious dig presumably at Brix, 'Bill Is Dead' (not a favourite of mine but most Fall fans love it) was a rare wistful moment possibly recalling the death of MES' father the year before. Two cover versions appeared on this LP, 'Black Monk Theme Pt1' which was a rendition of the Monks' 'I Hate You' (was this another sly dig?) and was awesome, the second was 'Popcorn Double Feature' originally by The Searchers and was bland. Thus they had it released as a single and it died on it's arse. Of the remaining tracks, 'Hilary' was short and sweet telling of a girl friend who'd borrowed some money to feed her drug habit, it contained a magnificent Hanley bassline at various points. I don't know what 'Chicago Now' is about, but it's the heaviest and darkest track here and suggests desolation and despair, MES' lyrics once again quite angry yet a beautifully played bassline from Steve Hanley and quirky guitar from Martin (or Craig, or both). The album closes with two lighter moments, 'The Littlest Rebel' featuring harmonica and the jaunty 'And Therein' with a mild rockabilly feel to it. It's worth noting with this album, in a bid presumably to move on to new sounds and textures, MES involved several guest musicians on the album, not least Charlotte Bill on flute / oboe (Chicago Now) and Kenny Brady on violin (Sing Harpy).

In the Summer, The Fall flew out to Australia for a tour. Not much explanation seems to exist, but something went tits up and Marcia and Bramah were suddenly sacked. :( The tour continued in Japan as a four piece. In August a third single was released, yet another cover of The Big Bopper's 'White Lightning'. It was to these ears a smashing bit of rock'n' roll, but any of the b-sides, 'Blood Outta Stone', 'Zagreb' and 'Life Just Bounces' were equally compelling, it was a very fine EP but although a poster featuring Marcia and Martin was included in the package, they were gone by the time of release.

My pick of the year then. I was very close to picking the clubtastic 'Telephone Thing' for the extended mix which is 11 seconds longer (an extra Gretchen Franklin I was told :grin: ), or maybe 'Black Monk Theme' which is pretty groovy itself, but no, I'm off to a darker place. 'Blood Outta Stone' is probably in my Top Ten of Fall songs, it's blisteringly good. MES is in full vitriolic mode, his words barked out in a most menacing way...

Unfortunately I'm coming from a bad end
And I'm destined for a bad end

But hanging around with you is like blood outta stone
Getting stuff outta youse is like blood outta stone
Blood outta stone

You're history
You've quit existation
You're green grub

And if I had any guts
I'd turn those money tables up
You dis-corporate bore
You make me tired to the bone...

When all your friends have dissolved
And you're yakking on the phone
You're techno-grounded
You're blood outta stone
Might appear deranged
But you're blood outta stone
You're mutton dressed as lamb
Cos you're blood outta stone
At least I've got an aim, chick
Blood outta stone....

I wonder if this is yet another swipe at past relationships? :D Musically it's pretty straight, solid performances from Hanley, Scanlon, Bramah and Funky Si, what I always loved was the strange metallic percussive noises that crop up throughout. "Metallic" is probably the wrong word, try "stony" instead. Whatever, it's monstrously great. :clap:

phpBB [video]

Oh I must just mention the title track of the album, 'Extricate' itself is not on the vinyl release, it's only on the CD and cassette which is typical Fall I guess. It's a shame because although not lyrically amazing, the music is heading off to a more techno sound, again like Telephone Thing, a possible route for the future? :)
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #105 - 16 Dec 2018, 19:46

I can't see anything wrong in this to point out and make myself look good.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #106 - 17 Dec 2018, 00:30

dannynomates » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:46 pm wrote:I can't see anything wrong in this to point out and make myself look good.

Dan

There was not an extra 'Gretchen Franklin' in the extended 'Telephone Thing', it was just extended by 11 seconds.
Country Bloke
Members

Post #107 - 17 Dec 2018, 22:54

Country Bloke » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:30 am wrote:
dannynomates » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:46 pm wrote:I can't see anything wrong in this to point out and make myself look good.

Dan

There was not an extra 'Gretchen Franklin' in the extended 'Telephone Thing', it was just extended by 11 seconds.

He also failed to mention that roadie Kevin Riddles (of NWOHM bands Angel Witch and Tytan) played keys at a few Japanese gigs following Marcia's departure.
Hanley Went To Every Gig
Members

Post #108 - 17 Dec 2018, 23:01

Hanley Went To Every Gig » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:54 pm wrote:
Country Bloke » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:30 am wrote:

Dan

He also failed to mention that roadie Kevin Riddles (of NWOHM bands Angel Witch and Tytan) played keys at a few Japanese gigs following Marcia's departure.

This is about studio recordings, not live shit. Have you ever took the trouble to write a blog, you cunt? :angry:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #109 - 26 Dec 2018, 08:54

Dan

Are you blind or deaf??

What is sung is:
"Unfortunately I'm coming from a bad end
And I'm destined for a sad end"

FFS. What hope is there anyway??!! :grrr: :grrr:
Mushshrooms
Members

Post #110 - 26 Dec 2018, 09:27

Mushshrooms » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:54 am wrote:

Dan

Are you blind or deaf??

What is sung is:
"Unfortunately I'm coming from a bad end
And I'm destined for a sad end"

FFS. What hope is there anyway??!! :grrr: :grrr:

Go and listen to the link routemaster provided, it's clearly "bad end". I'm sure like me he researches these things thoroughly before posting.

Warning to Mushshrooms for questioning my Fall lyrical knowledge.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #111 - 26 Dec 2018, 09:34

You wanna get your cloth ears tested!
Says (sings) "SAD end"
https://youtu.be/U3pydj6aP7I?t=23
And not questioning your "Fall lyrical knowledge", just your eyes and/or ears.
Your ears be being of a defective nature!!
Mushshrooms
Members

Post #112 - 26 Dec 2018, 10:12

Mushshrooms » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:34 am wrote:You wanna get your cloth ears tested!
Says (sings) "SAD end"

It pains me to admit it, it really does, but dannynomates is correct and it's "bad end".

You, sir, are as deaf as a fucking post. Image
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #113 - 26 Dec 2018, 10:17

routemaster » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:12 am wrote:
Mushshrooms » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:34 am wrote:You wanna get your cloth ears tested!
Says (sings) "SAD end"

It pains me to admit it, it really does, but dannynomates is correct and it's "bad end".

Connor goes to all the trouble of posting some Christmas smilies and you use an external image.

routemaster warned for not using the Christmas smilies.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #114 - 26 Dec 2018, 10:23

dannynomates » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:17 am wrote:
Says (sings) "SAD end"

Connor goes to all the trouble of posting some Christmas smilies and you use an external image.

routemaster warned for not using the Christmas smilies.

Dan

Where are these fucking smilies? I can't use them if they're not there to use, you cunt. :grrr:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #115 - 26 Dec 2018, 10:24

Says (sings) "SAD end"

Bollocks!!!
DEFINITELY sings ""Unfortunately I'm coming from a bad end
And I'm destined for a SAD end" :swear: :swear:

Anyone else??
Mushshrooms
Members

Post #116 - 26 Dec 2018, 10:32

Mushshrooms » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:24 am wrote:
Says (sings) "SAD end"

Bollocks!!!
DEFINITELY sings ""Unfortunately I'm coming from a bad end
And I'm destined for a SAD end" :swear: :swear:

Anyone else??

Yeah, me!

It's "bad end" which is what you'll be getting if you don't fack off and drop this. :grrr:

And where's these facking Xmas smilies? :angry:
Big Vern

Post #117 - 26 Dec 2018, 19:53

I give in. You're all deaf as a post!!
Mushshrooms
Members

Post #118 - 26 Dec 2018, 20:19

Join us again in a few weeks when Mushshrooms explains how many ways there are to leave your man. :wanker:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #119 - 26 Dec 2018, 21:09

It's OK, I worked out what happened there.
I entered a parallel universe full of tin-eared cunts.
Going home now...........
Mushshrooms
Members

Post #120 - 26 Dec 2018, 21:22

Mushshrooms » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:09 pm wrote:It's OK, I worked out what happened there.
I entered a parallel universe full of tin-eared cunts.
Going home now...........

Less of the 'tin-eared'. :angry:
routemaster
On The Buses

PreviousNext

Return to Fallen Related Discussion