View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 40 Years of The Fall ; A year by year best of thing

Post #81 - 23 Nov 2018, 15:46

I might as well post this here being as the cunt routemaster ripped off my idea. :angry:

We've just about sold out of copies of my book, which prompted me to proof read the thing. It's absolutely riddled with factual errors, so I am going to quickly re-write it and get a second edition printed. You can purchase this new version for the usual price of £14.99 from the usual place which I'll link again.

https://www.dailyreckless.com/product/4 ... -the-fall/

Thanks to everyone who bought the first draft, I look forward to hearing from your Paypal account again soon. Cheers. :)
Fat Bob
Members

Post #82 - 23 Nov 2018, 21:22

:angry:
routemaster
On The Buses

Grade A triple platinum cunt Image

Post #83 - 24 Nov 2018, 10:26

I just read Fat Bob's book over breakfast, so I thought I'd point out a couple of inaccuracies.

General observations: inconsistency in apostrophising Totale's Turns. Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. And sometimes you put quotation marks round song titles in the text, and sometimes you don't. And sometimes you use double quotation marks, sometimes single quotation marks. There are too many of these to list!

p9: "Live At The Witch Trial's 'Crap Rap'" should be "Live At The Witch Trials' 'Crap Rap'" (i.e. the apostrophe was in the wrong place, this really annoys me).

p12 - "livingroom" surely needs a space. Room to live you might say. I am very amusing.

p14 - "Stepping Out" - question really, is it "John the Postman" or "Jon the Postman"? I thought the latter since he was "Jonathan".

p15: "Oh! Brother". annotatedfall will give you the correct German text, which I identified as I'm fluent in Nazi vocabulary. Dave Thompson's version is just taken from the press release, and is incorrect - I mean it's not an exactly accurate translation of the German.

p19. You didn't see The Fall on So It Goes in 1978, because So It Goes ended in December 1977. What you saw was it's successor, What's On.

p20: "L" in "Live in Liverpool" needs capitalising. And it's "Witch Trials version" rather than "Witch Trial version".

p29: The lyric is surely "in vibes not vinyl", not "vibes on vinyl". The point being it's a psychic disco, you see. God you're thick. :-).

p31: Fiery Jack: "User's Guide" should never be used for research, Wiki is far better, I know because I wrote Wiki.

p35: City Hobgoblins: "Ubu Le Roi", not "Ibu Le Roi". And "Piccadilly, Manchester" not "Picadilly, Manchester" (two "c"s).

p37: Misspelling of "Arthur Askey" as "Arhtur Askey", this is unforgiveable.

p41: "fries" does not need capitalising in the phrase "French Fries", unless we're talking the Walkers snack product over chips, hmm this requires further investigation. I shall contact buzzliteyr at his annotatedfall.doomed.com site.

p53: Joker Hysterical Face. "User's Guide", again. See also p72. "User's Guide" is a woeful publication, you should have contacted me first as I know everything.

p97: The sadly missed play was entitled I Am Curious, Orange. The album was entitled I Am Kurious, Oranj. The confusion may be perpetuated elsewhere in this chapter.

p108: And Therein is missing from the index. It's good to have an index but not if it's incomplete, again utter incompetence.

p113: It's Theme From Error-Orrori, not ...Error-Orror. At any rate it's only I think ...Error-Orror on the A World Bewitched compilation.

p130: Pumpkin Head... not really a correction but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

p147: The Aphid - "Mike Bennet" should be shot in the face in front of his family. I'll forgive you for the mis-spelling of his name on this occasion

p160: Hostile. Again not really a correction, but I like to come across smart and self important.

p160: Spencer Must Die. Spencer was asked about D.O.S.E. https://thefall.org/news/000912.html. He said it was just him, not a duo. The duo was Inch (with Kier Stewart)

p182: W.B. Rhyming "oak" and "broke" is less a lyrical MESism than a Rodgers and Hartism from the song The Lady is a Tramp. I'm sick of plagiarisms on my forum.

p184: Midwatch 1953. "Operation Totem was the first nuclear test carried out in Britain in 1953." No, Operation Totem was a British test carried out in Australia. It wasn't the first test, which was Operation Hurricane in 1952. Do you not check these things on Google?

p257: Fol De Rol. Musical resemblance to Rocket From the Crypt's On A Rope. Try Piss Up A Rope by Ween.

Warning to Fat Bob for wasting crowd-funders money on ill conceived tat.

Now I feel better.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #84 - 24 Nov 2018, 10:32

There's only one "c" from where I'm sitting, and that should be a capital "C", you smug cunt. :angry:
Fat Bob
Members

Post #85 - 24 Nov 2018, 10:53

I'd rather have the original. This sanitisation is the antithesis of what The Fall was about. :angry:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #86 - 24 Nov 2018, 11:13

It's the sheer fucking arrogance that gets me. :angry:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #87 - 24 Nov 2018, 22:50

Moving swiftly on...

^^^ Fuck you Getty Images! :devil:

1987 was a curious year, not least for the fact that The Fall did not release an album, the first time since 1978 (barring the old Slates LP or EP debate in 1981). Instead we were treated to just two singles boasting six songs. First though, some line up changes. Simon Rogers moved away from the group itself to play a bigger role in production work, this shines through in a lot of the years work. Also Grant Showbiz was back to produce the first single. In Rogers' place taking over the keyboard duties was an old friend of Brix's, Marcia Schofield. OK she actually joined in late '86, but only appeared on the Luciani single, my mishtake from the last review. Back to the music then, the first single was the old R Dean Taylor cover 'There's A Ghost In My House', the cover version finally paying off as it soared up the charts to a lofty #30, the highest placing of a single the group would ever attain. I personally didn't care for it, and the throngs of buyers must surely have been horrified at the other tracks therein. 'Haf Found Bormann' was a clanking industrial number full of Rogers' technology featuring Brix and Marcia. I read somewhere that Marcia hated having to perform it. Next up another sub-industrial performance, 'Sleep Debt Snatches' which begins with a jaunty almost c&w guitar and MES minute before Steve Hanley takes over with a cracking bassline carrying the song though five more minutes of insomnia making noises, it's excellent. The last track 'Mark'll Sink Us' is a delight, a much darker affair quite beautifully performed. Note not all those tracks were on every format, Beggars by now were full on with the multi-format so the proper fan was forced to buy at least two copies to complete the musical collection. Worse was to come with the second single. 'Hit The North' was spread out across a 7", two 12"s and a cassette, and you'd need all four as a completist. There were six versions of the title track, numbered pt's 1-6, each getting progressively more techno, in fact pt's 4-6 were remixes by Zeus B Held well ahead of their time, good attempts at acid house. The trouble was by pt 3 you'd just about had a gutful of the fucker, so despite being a decent song, it soon became tiring. It failed to match it's predecessor, stalling at #57. The other two tacks were 'Australians In Europe', an upbeat tune marred by a horrible sub-Van Halen section in the middle, and another version 'Northerns in Europ' (yes the last e is missing), a more lo-fi take.

I've been a bit harsh, HTN was a great pop song if you stick to one version, but my pick of the year is going to be 'Mark'll Sink Us'. Well I never said it would be wall to wall hits. :grin: This track as I mentioned is a delight, but also a typical MES trick I think. A bit like following Hex Enduction Hour where he wilfully tried to sabotage things by going off at an irreverent tangent with Room To Live, here following the masterful Bend Sinister he attempted to play down the success. Lyrically it's dark and detached, almost hinting that he's about to bring the whole thing crashing down in his torment. Musically it veers from slow and doomy (another delicious Hanley bass leading the way) to a faster chorus with the gruppe chanting "Mark will sink us" as if he will. Also of note is a luscious piano work throughout presumably courtesy of Marcia. It ends strangely with a fade out followed my a reprise which sounds like another mix altogether, all in all though it's tremendous. :clap:

phpBB [video]

I rambled terribly there, but that's the end of my CD1, if a compilation we are making. So far then...

Bingo Master
Before The Moon Falls
New Face In Hell
Fantastic Life
The Classical
Neighbourhood Of Infinity
Disney's Dream Debased
My New House
Gross Chapel - British Grenadiers
Mark'll Sink Us
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #88 - 25 Nov 2018, 07:27

These multiple formats were the bane of record collecting in the 1980s. It was stopped very shortly after this, thank fuck. :mellow:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #89 - 25 Nov 2018, 09:43

Greasy Roads » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:27 am wrote:These multiple formats were the bane of record collecting in the 1980s. It was stopped very shortly after this, thank fuck. :mellow:

Oh I don't know, they were still at it in 1998. :wtf:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #90 - 25 Nov 2018, 18:13

routemaster » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:43 am wrote:
Greasy Roads » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:27 am wrote:These multiple formats were the bane of record collecting in the 1980s. It was stopped very shortly after this, thank fuck. :mellow:

Oh I don't know, they were still at it in 1998. :wtf:

It was restricted to only a couple of formats counting for chart status sometime in the late eighties. '87 was about the peak of the multiple format phenomenon.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #91 - 26 Nov 2018, 07:27

dannynomates » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:26 am wrote:I just read Fat Bob's book over breakfast, so I thought I'd point out a couple of inaccuracies.

General observations: inconsistency in apostrophising Totale's Turns. Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. And sometimes you put quotation marks round song titles in the text, and sometimes you don't. And sometimes you use double quotation marks, sometimes single quotation marks. There are too many of these to list!

p9: "Live At The Witch Trial's 'Crap Rap'" should be "Live At The Witch Trials' 'Crap Rap'" (i.e. the apostrophe was in the wrong place, this really annoys me).

p12 - "livingroom" surely needs a space. Room to live you might say. I am very amusing.

p14 - "Stepping Out" - question really, is it "John the Postman" or "Jon the Postman"? I thought the latter since he was "Jonathan".

p15: "Oh! Brother". annotatedfall will give you the correct German text, which I identified as I'm fluent in Nazi vocabulary. Dave Thompson's version is just taken from the press release, and is incorrect - I mean it's not an exactly accurate translation of the German.

p19. You didn't see The Fall on So It Goes in 1978, because So It Goes ended in December 1977. What you saw was it's successor, What's On.

p20: "L" in "Live in Liverpool" needs capitalising. And it's "Witch Trials version" rather than "Witch Trial version".

p29: The lyric is surely "in vibes not vinyl", not "vibes on vinyl". The point being it's a psychic disco, you see. God you're thick. :-).

p31: Fiery Jack: "User's Guide" should never be used for research, Wiki is far better, I know because I wrote Wiki.

p35: City Hobgoblins: "Ubu Le Roi", not "Ibu Le Roi". And "Piccadilly, Manchester" not "Picadilly, Manchester" (two "c"s).

p41: "fries" does not need capitalising in the phrase "French Fries", unless we're talking the Walkers snack product over chips, hmm this requires further investigation. I shall contact buzzliteyr at his annotatedfall.doomed.com site.

p53: Joker Hysterical Face. "User's Guide", again. See also p72. "User's Guide" is a woeful publication, you should have contacted me first as I know everything.

p97: The sadly missed play was entitled I Am Curious, Orange. The album was entitled I Am Kurious, Oranj. The confusion may be perpetuated elsewhere in this chapter.

p108: And Therein is missing from the index. It's good to have an index but not if it's incomplete, again utter incompetence.

p113: It's Theme From Error-Orrori, not ...Error-Orror. At any rate it's only I think ...Error-Orror on the A World Bewitched compilation.

p130: Pumpkin Head... not really a correction but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

p147: The Aphid - "Mike Bennet" should be shot in the face in front of his family. I'll forgive you for the mis-spelling of his name on this occasion

p160: Hostile. Again not really a correction, but I like to come across smart and self important.

p160: Spencer Must Die. Spencer was asked about D.O.S.E. https://thefall.org/news/000912.html. He said it was just him, not a duo. The duo was Inch (with Kier Stewart)

p182: W.B. Rhyming "oak" and "broke" is less a lyrical MESism than a Rodgers and Hartism from the song The Lady is a Tramp. I'm sick of plagiarisms on my forum.

p184: Midwatch 1953. "Operation Totem was the first nuclear test carried out in Britain in 1953." No, Operation Totem was a British test carried out in Australia. It wasn't the first test, which was Operation Hurricane in 1952. Do you not check these things on Google?

p257: Fol De Rol. Musical resemblance to Rocket From the Crypt's On A Rope. Try Piss Up A Rope by Ween.

Now I feel better.

Dan

I've just died of boredom. :(
Cunthahahahahaha
Members

Post #92 - 26 Nov 2018, 10:44

Cunthahahahahaha » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:27 am wrote:
dannynomates » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:26 am wrote:I just read Fat Bob's book over breakfast, so I thought I'd point out a couple of inaccuracies.

Now I feel better.

Dan

I've just died of boredom. :(

Excellent, this means my work has not been in vain and presumably we won't be treated to any more of your thoughtful insights.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #93 - 02 Dec 2018, 00:48

Disc 2, for those creating a retrospective.

If 1987 was a quiet year, 1988 was to make amends. Two albums and two singles, for this project truly an eye-waterer. We begin the year with an album, 'The Frenz Experiment'. For many Fall fans the first with some failings, and this is true to a degree, but not really fair given the plus points. OK it opened with 'Frenz' which is a bit of a downer, MES mourning the apparent lack of people he can like or trust, but from there we get a stream of top class Fall, albeit yet another "Fall sound". Of note are 'Carry Bag Man' relating to MES' obsession with carrying all his essential gear round in a carrier bag. 'Victoria', the single later culled from the album is a decent stab at the old Kinks number, and as with 'Ghost' it performed well in the charts hitting #35 - clearly the secret to a chart hit is a cover. 'Athlete Cured' is magnificent, and for once tells a story in words of one syllable which is unusual. 'Bremen Nacht' is another upbeat number sung in cod-German, a curious thing which translates to nothing. Then we get the anomaly, 'Guest Informant (excerpt)', a tune that promises much but comes and goes in under 50 seconds, it's most annoying. The album ends on another slowy. Next up was the 'Victoria' single, and here we find, amongst other top tunes, the real 'Guest Informant'. Only The Fall would use an album as a teaser to a single, this is not how it works. But it's a corker - does Brix chant "Bastard! State Cog! Analyst!" ? She says not, but that one's been debated for years and I think we'll never know.
Onwards, next up is a second album, 'I Am Kurious Oranj'. The Fall joined forces with Michael Clark and his dancers to produce a ballet. God alone knows what the Fall fans and Michael Clark fans made of it all, but this was a brilliant collaboration of talents. Performed live for dates in Edinburgh and London (plus an opener in Amsterdam), it was based on the life of William Of Orange. We'll stick with the music, the album offered several more classic tracks, 'New Big Prinz' was an upbeat 'Hip Priest', 'Overture From I Am Curious Orange' was a Brix penned sensation that got panned by many, completely unfairly, basically instrumental with added rants including a recall of "Dr Annabel Lies!" from 'An Older Lover Etc' many years ago. 'Jerusalem' was another highlight, a take on the William Blake poem/hymn with added hilarity thanks to MES blaming the government after slipping on a banana skin and cracking his head open. As you do. It must have been brilliant seeing all the ballet fans faced with The Fall, but equally the musical performances they gave had to be spot on, no fucking about, this was the real deal. I'll deal with the 'Jerusalem' single next.

Beggars surpassed themselves this year. Not content with singles on albums (apologies to Greasy Roads for nicking that particular annoyance), now we had a new con. 'Bremen Nacht' came in two different versions, the vinyl mix by Grant Showbiz which was great and the CD mix by someone else which was average and went on too long. And as for IAKO, the vinyl was all studio mixes (I think, it's very confusing) while the CD included live versions from the show. So you needed both. Add on the 'Jerusalem' single - a 7" box or a 2CD both containing four tracks all culled, and in the case of the title track ripped apart (it missed a verse and most of the banana skin bit), from the LP, it's clear Beggars were by now taking the piss.

Enough of my ranting though, we need a winner. And it's 'Athlete Cured' from TFE. As mentioned above, it's a rare treat that the lyrics tell the story easily, so I'll leave the song to do that. Apparently Simon Rogers who was still on production duties insisted the rip off of Spinal Tap's "Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight" would not be allowed, to which MES replied "Bollocks!" And so they did it, and it was awesome. I never did understand why Gert buggered off without a bit of a fight though.... :shrug:

phpBB [video]

Along with 'Bremen Nacht', the Germanic era?
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #95 - 02 Dec 2018, 09:45

dannynomates » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:30 am wrote:That should be " Guest Informant (excerpt)".

Dan

Note the time of posting, you pedantic cunt. :grrr:

Plus I had to change the litter tray midway through writing. Twice. Then the cat came and sat on my arm. :(
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #96 - 02 Dec 2018, 09:54

routemaster » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:45 am wrote:
dannynomates » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:30 am wrote:That should be " Guest Informant (excerpt)".

Dan

Plus I had to change the litter tray midway through writing. Twice. Then the cat came and shat on my arm. :(

You should have changed the litter tray a bit quicker then. :huh:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #97 - 02 Dec 2018, 10:11

Greasy Roads » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:54 am wrote:
routemaster » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:45 am wrote:

Dan

Plus I had to change the litter tray midway through writing. Twice. Then the cat came and shat on my arm. :(

You should have changed the litter tray a bit quicker then. :huh:

I wrote "sat" not "shat". I'll leave it as it is but there'd better be some serious retweeting. :grrr:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #98 - 10 Dec 2018, 10:12

Well you try finding a Fall image from that year. :mellow:

And so a decade draws to a close, but not only that, an era was also ending. I won't go into the gory details, suffice to say Brix had had enough of MES and was off. Things had been going wrong with the marriage for a while and so she could no longer stay a part of The Fall either, a sad and worrying time for Fall fans too I imagine. To the music though, and frankly there wasn't much of it this year, not surprisingly really after the monster that was 1988. On offer were the contractual obligation releases, as the Beggars years were also at an end. First up a single, 'Cab It Up' was an edited version of the IAKO track, an edit that ripped the best bits out of the song, the last 90 seconds or so of which was originally the most manic of endings now faded out. B-side was another IAKO track that failed to make the album (but did make the show), 'Deadbeat Descendant'. This left an album 'Seminal Live', an apparent rush release of the final five Brix studio songs(?), plus live versions of earlier tunes. In addition to the aforementioned DBD, we were treated to a cover of an old 1960 Lonnie Irving song 'Pinball Machine' which was sung in drunken fashion by MES very convincingly. 'H.O.W' was next, an interesting track mostly featuring MES, Steve Hanley and Funky Si, with occasional guitar flourishes from Craig, or maybe Brix, I'm not good at recognising who plays which guitar. 'Squid Law' was perhaps a nod towards the direction The Fall were heading next, a denser heavier sound than what had been played over the last few years, I'm not sure if Brix appeared on this track. Finally 'Mollusc In Tyrol', a lo-fi number all buzzing sounds and MES muttering something about being a mollusc. I dunno. :lol:

I was going to pick DBD which is short, sharp and to the point, but in hindsight, although great, it's a simple manic thrash of sound belted out as loud as possible. No, let's have H.O.W., a much more considered approach here and a bit different to the usual thing. You could say it showcases each member's particular talent being as the mix is nicely free and open. Tbh there's not a lot on Seminal Live that screams out as a classic, but this one is a pleasant enough ramble. It's about history I think. :)

phpBB [video]

For now though, goodbye Brix. :duh:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #99 - 10 Dec 2018, 17:28

Why not just post a photo from 1988? :wtf:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #100 - 10 Dec 2018, 17:53

Greasy Roads » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:28 pm wrote:Why not just post a photo from 1988? :wtf:

I'm frankly appalled that whoever does the Twitter feed has removed routemaster's original photo of the Seminal Live sleeve and replaced it with another photo from the wrong year. Just because routemaster failed to locate a photo from the relevant year is no reason to make him look ridiculous, and he will now see his likes and retweets soar as a result of these irresponsible actions. I really should take charge of the Twitter side of my forum as it doesn't represent my ways sufficiently.

Personally I would have used this image from 1989, the fact it makes Brix look like she's done ten pints of Kestrel Super and a large spliff is irrelevant, it's all about correctness.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Fallen Related Discussion