View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 40 Years of The Fall ; A year by year best of thing

Post #1 - 25 Sep 2018, 20:26

Some time before MES' untimely departure, I had a craving to do one of those blog style things reviewing my favourite studio cut from every year The Fall had recorded, ie 1978 -2017.

Then that FOFer who'd done a blog writing about every song The Fall recorded decided to turn it into a book entitled 40 Odd Years Of The Fall (please give generously, I would but I'm skint), so I suspected my idea was treading on toes a bit so I left it. :mellow:

Now however I think it's OK to do it here, alongside Greasy's Fall in 45s and Steve's Fall in Two's reviews. I also like to see it as what could have made a great 4CD set, or however many pieces of vinyl the old people would require, so I propose to split it into four parts. If Cog Sinister or Cherry Red or whoever like my idea, feel free to contact me with your offers of cash for my efforts. :grin:

Obviously as a year by year thing, there'll be songs I'm less keen on from quieter years along with years when I'm struggling to pick a favourite being as there were so many, but I think I have my list in place. So here goes...

CD1

Only six studio recordings were released this year, yet still I'm finding it tricky to pick a favourite. Psycho Mafia was a great punky run through while Repetition did what it said it would brilliantly. I didn't care for It's The New Thing but Various Times was electric especially the extended version only found on the US vinyl of LATWT I think. However I'm going for Bingo-Master. I've always loved this track since I first discovered The Fall late in 1985 (a bit of a catch up was required but I got there). It is utterly mad and stood out with it's way out of tune guitar and curious subject matter. At this point I must add that with Fall lyrics I'm as hopeless as Greasy Roads and Steve70something so don't be expecting detailed analysis in this department. Here though our hero seems to be holed up in a dead end job with no prospects, and ends up topping himself. So a jolly start to my project. :grin:

Btw it pisses me off that every Youtube link of this titles it 'Bingo Master's Breakout' - that's the EP title you thick cunts. :angry:

phpBB [video]
routemaster
On The Buses

Grade A triple platinum cunt Image

Post #2 - 25 Sep 2018, 20:32

Aren't there enough shitty thread like this on here already?
High Telephone Line
Members

Post #3 - 25 Sep 2018, 21:00

High Telephone Line » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:32 pm wrote:Aren't there enough shitty thread like this on here already?

Why don't you fuck off and make a Brexit thread where you can talk shit and slag everyone off to your heart's content.
Aubrey The Cat In The Hat
Members

Post #5 - 26 Sep 2018, 14:52

dannynomates » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:47 am wrote:
routemaster » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:26 pm wrote:Only six studio recordings were released this year...

Five.

Dan

Oh trust you to be the one who spotted my deliberate mistake first. :angry:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #6 - 26 Sep 2018, 16:10

routemaster » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:52 pm wrote:
dannynomates » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:47 am wrote:
routemaster » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:26 pm wrote:Only six studio recordings were released this year...

Five.

Dan

Oh trust you to be the one who spotted my deliberate mistake first. :angry:

:wanker:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #7 - 30 Sep 2018, 17:10

Unlike 1978, 1979 had too much to choose from. I was going to go with 'Frightened' from LATWT, a song that must have confused if not amazed any punters expecting an album full of post-punk snarling. But then of course The Fall released a second album the same year, Dragnet. Now I'm not one of those who harp on about LATWT "not being a proper Fall album", that's bollocks. It was MES plus whoever at the time so was obviously The Fall. However the departure of Bramah and Pawlett, the relocating of Riley's place in the group and the addition of Steve Hanley and Craig Scanlon made it the line up that created the first real "Fall Sound". Also Karl Burns was replaced with stand-up drummer Mike Leigh. Dragnet was amazing, yet so far away from the slick production of LATWT, but I think the songs themselves were far better written overall by this time. With that in mind, I choose 'Before The Moon Falls' as my 1979 song, early Hanley basslines already proving tasty and I enjoyed Leigh's "hit every drum in order" style. I think the song is basically about the group themselves, and the strategy of keeping it all together. Lyrics such as this convince me, MES' barely audible intro lines...

We are private detectives onward back from a musical pilgrimage
We work under the name of the Fall.
Who would suspect this?
It is too obvious.
Our office is secluded.
Those there to suspect
Would not see the wood for the trees
We were six like dice but we're back to five.

Also at the end...

And will forever end this reign of terror
Before the moon falls
Before the tide subsides
Before the moon falls for the fifth time
Before The Fall swoons.

Luckily for us The Fall didn't swoon for another 38 years, though the line up changes hinted at in those words would carry on.

phpBB [video]

I rambled a bit with this one, sorry about that. :grin:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #8 - 30 Sep 2018, 19:55

I think routemaster's account has been hacked. Bravo whoever wrote this. :clap:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #9 - 30 Sep 2018, 20:10

Greasy Roads » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:55 pm wrote:I think routemaster's account has been hacked. Bravo whoever wrote this. :clap:

It was me what wrote it. B-)
Jim Skidder
Members

Proud to be a plant wrangler from Texas. :)

Post #10 - 30 Sep 2018, 20:16

Jim Skidder » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:10 pm wrote:
Greasy Roads » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:55 pm wrote:I think routemaster's account has been hacked. Bravo whoever wrote this. :clap:

It was me what wrote it. B-)

Fuck off was it you. :grrr:

Thank you Greasy Roads. :)
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #11 - 01 Oct 2018, 07:30

This is loads better than the Fall In Twos or that shit from Greasy Roads. :clap:
Amber
Members

Post #12 - 01 Oct 2018, 13:12

Amber » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:30 am wrote:This is loads better than the Fall In Twos or that shit from Greasy Roads. :clap:

Thanks Amber, I'm pleased you're enjoying it. :)
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #13 - 05 Oct 2018, 11:56

Another difficult choice for me, so much of these early years is of top notch quality it makes deciding on just one almost impossible. However I do have some sort of idea as 1980 was the first time I heard The Fall. I'd heard of them through the music press but it was one night in 1980 I chanced upon a new Fall Peel session. I do recall on listening to that session at the time that The Fall were quite a bit less mainstream than my usual tastes, my record collection back then basically consisting of Stranglers, Tubeway Army, Human League, The Jam and other such normality. So to be honest I wasn't too taken with what I was hearing, yet it did strike me as something radically different and I did keep up with some of the follow up releases, while not actually buying anything. It would be 1985 before I took that plunge but that's another story.

So what to choose? I think most would opt for the brilliant and frankly scary 'Impression Of J Temperance' or the hit single 'Totally Wired' if you're in Connor's neck of the woods, but I'm going for one of the Peel session tracks, the one probably at the time that I enjoyed most. 'New Face In Hell' showcased just how brilliant MES' lyrics were becoming, and on this occasion it was easy to decipher the subject matter. Not just the storyline shone out though, the instrumentation was awesome too - a prominent keyboard riff from Marc Riley I assume along with SHanley's rumbling bass, new boy Paul Hanley's excellent drumming for a 12 year old, and Craig's guitar which can only be described as funky on this performance. Indeed on the Peel version it's made to sound like a primitive remix by removing the guitar briefly and having just the bassline and vocal do the work before the funkiness comes back even, erm, funkier! Of course that's not all. As we shall see later, and saw in the earliest years, The Fall are often best with a woman's touch, so Kay Carroll's magnificent kazoo playing here is of definite note. I'll link the Peel session as it's even better than the one off 'Grotesque', the LP mix would be for the compilation though. :)

phpBB [video]

Fuck, I rambled even more there. :grin:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #14 - 05 Oct 2018, 13:12

And then you became a Cocteaus' fan. How did it all go so wrong? :(
StickupPercy
Members

Post #15 - 05 Oct 2018, 13:53

StickupPercy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:12 pm wrote:And then you became a Cocteaus' fan. How did it all go so wrong? :(

Variety is the spice of life, you cunt. :angry:

Besides I haven't played a Cocteaus record for maybe a year or more whereas I play The Fall several times a week. There, I've said it. :huh:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #16 - 05 Oct 2018, 16:10

routemaster » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:53 pm wrote:
StickupPercy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:12 pm wrote:And then you became a Cocteaus' fan. How did it all go so wrong? :(

Besides I haven't played a Cocteaus record for maybe a year or more whereas I play The Fall several times a week. There, I've said it. :huh:

Hallelujah, he's seen the light :)
StickupPercy
Members

Post #17 - 05 Oct 2018, 16:27

StickupPercy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:10 pm wrote:

She still has the voice of an angel of course. :wanker:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #18 - 05 Oct 2018, 17:33

routemaster » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:27 pm wrote:

Voice of a fucking angle grinder, more like. :)
StickupPercy
Members

Post #19 - 05 Oct 2018, 18:17

StickupPercy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:33 pm wrote:
routemaster » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:27 pm wrote:

Voice of a fucking angle grinder, more like. :)

And they call me cloth eared. :(
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #20 - 05 Oct 2018, 21:38

"New Face In Hell" was the title of a film, and MES once said the kazoo bit was an attempt at playing its theme music.

I have been researching this. The opening sequence of "P.J.", which was the original US title of what was "New Face in Hell" in the UK, is here:

https://www.blogger.com/video.g?token=A ... h_tA8Dd6ln

I'm pretty sure that sounds very much like "New Face In Hell".

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Next

Return to Fallen Related Discussion