View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 The Fall on 45 ; keep on turning in your mind

Post #81 - 16 Oct 2018, 09:27

dannynomates » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:22 am wrote:
Greasy Roads » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:57 am wrote:
dannynomates » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:48 am wrote:
Greasy Roads » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:46 am wrote: I feel ambivalent about this one: both tracks were on the album which is a big no no from me; <snip> on the other hand Marquis Cha Cha is a fucking great track,

This makes no sense. If you were annoyed that both tracks were on the album, why buy the thing in the first place? You sound like one of those people with that appalling obsession with physical product. Of the song itself, I agree it is a very good Fall number, however I note that the original LP version clocks in at 4m 15s while the single mix which I downloaded to my computer from the Backdrop compilation is longer at 4m 31s. Can you tell me if there is any discernible difference between the two, apart from the length of the track? From memory I can't hear anything that sets one off from the other. I'd research it myself but my busy lifestyle doesn't allow me the time.

Dan

I bought it because I saw it and it's The Fall and I had to own it. I really can't be bothered to time both it and the LP version and note any differences - that's not what it's about at all.

So you're saying because it's "The Fall", you have to own it. A quite ludicrous statement as all you can possibly "own" of "The Fall" is a piece of their plastic or a download. MES and his Granny on Bongos were "The Fall" but you can't own them. As usual your argument is a complete nonsense.

Dan

All I want to own of the Fall are their records.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #82 - 16 Oct 2018, 09:32

Greasy Roads » 21 minutes ago wrote:
AsifFromHell » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:58 am wrote:
Greasy Roads » Today, 07:46 wrote:[ on the other hand Marquis Cha Cha is a fucking great track, way up in the pantheon of great Fall singles.

woah!! what's this? in the last review of kicker conspiracy, you clearly stated that in your opinion (which is bollocks incidently) that song at 4m 21s was a tad overlong for a single, also you had an earlier pop at routemaster who'd suggested i'm into cb would have been a better choice for an a-side than look know for similar reasons. yet here you are waxing all fucking lyrical about how marvellous a single this one is when it is clearly 10 seconds longer than kicker conspiracy! your reviews aren't worth the time of day you senile old cunt. :angry:

Well Asif, I'm a firm believer that if musicians were told that they couldn't exceed 3 minutes for a track on pain of having their families shot, they'd make much better records. The more time they're allowed the more they start to noodle. Listen to something like the Ann Peebles anthology: on the early tracks Teenie Hodges belts out six note guitar solos which are just perfect; later he's got too much time and it all becomes diluted. This is a theme I'll certainly return to in this thread as a spanner is just about to be thrown into the works.

i know what's coming next, you're one of those anti-brix brigade like that cunt connor who reckons she ruined the fall, aren't you? :grrr:
AsifFromHell
Members

Post #83 - 16 Oct 2018, 12:06

AsifFromHell » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:32 am wrote:
Greasy Roads » Today, 07:46 wrote:[ on the other hand Marquis Cha Cha is a fucking great track, way up in the pantheon of great Fall singles.

woah!! what's this? in the last review of kicker conspiracy, you clearly stated that in your opinion (which is bollocks incidently) that song at 4m 21s was a tad overlong for a single, also you had an earlier pop at routemaster who'd suggested i'm into cb would have been a better choice for an a-side than look know for similar reasons. yet here you are waxing all fucking lyrical about how marvellous a single this one is when it is clearly 10 seconds longer than kicker conspiracy! your reviews aren't worth the time of day you senile old cunt. :angry:

Well Asif, I'm a firm believer that if musicians were told that they couldn't exceed 3 minutes for a track on pain of having their families shot, they'd make much better records. The more time they're allowed the more they start to noodle. Listen to something like the Ann Peebles anthology: on the early tracks Teenie Hodges belts out six note guitar solos which are just perfect; later he's got too much time and it all becomes diluted. This is a theme I'll certainly return to in this thread as a spanner is just about to be thrown into the works.

i know what's coming next, you're one of those anti-brix brigade like that cunt connor who reckons she ruined the fall, aren't you? :grrr:

Wait and see. :huh:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #84 - 21 Oct 2018, 07:33

Greasy Roads » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:06 pm wrote:

You're obviously either a trust fund hipster or a scummy well-heeled collector, not an actual music fan so I will be ignoring this thread in future.
AsifFromHell
Members

Post #85 - 21 Oct 2018, 09:00

AsifFromHell » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:33 am wrote:
Greasy Roads » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:06 pm wrote:

You're obviously either a trust fund hipster or a scummy well-heeled collector, not an actual music fan so I will be ignoring this thread in future.

This is more like it, if you don't like what you read simply ignore the thread. Much more pleasant than hurling abuse and mouthing off obscenities. We need more curry-munchers on here with this attitude.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #86 - 24 Oct 2018, 08:37

New label, new format, new producer, new member. It was different yes, but at the time I'd have preferred more of the same. It's miraculous that the gruppe resisted the 12" format until this late stage. I was guilty of buying the 12" versions of singles religiously in the eighties but with hindsight this just gave everyone more room to noodle and produced bloody awful remixes and instrumentals whose only purpose in life seems to be padding out the CD reissues later, witness the instrumental on this one. John Leckie's production on Oh! Brother was far too clean for my taste, God-Box sounds loads better. Brix has the merest of cameos here. Overall not the most essential of releases, but nice to see John Fogarty get a credit.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #87 - 24 Oct 2018, 09:55

Greasy Roads » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:37 am wrote:witness the instrumental on this one.

Do you actually listen to these before writing? Clearly not as 'O! Brother' is hardly an "instrumental" as you put it, far from so.

At 2m 30s MES can clearly be heard to mutter "Mecass, the mass, decline, domain, relan, drazan, my heart's blocked, rout.", while Brix from 3m 03s offers up her "La la laaa, la la la la..." vocal throughout the rest of the song. If you're going to do a review, get the fucking basics right. :angry:
Joan Con
Members

Post #88 - 24 Oct 2018, 12:08

Joan Con » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:55 am wrote:
Greasy Roads » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:37 am wrote:witness the instrumental on this one.

Do you actually listen to these before writing? Clearly not as 'O! Brother' is hardly an "instrumental" as you put it, far from so.

At 2m 30s MES can clearly be heard to mutter "Mecass, the mass, decline, domain, relan, drazan, my heart's blocked, rout.", while Brix from 3m 03s offers up her "La la laaa, la la la la..." vocal throughout the rest of the song. If you're going to do a review, get the fucking basics right. :angry:

You're talking out of your arse.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #89 - 24 Oct 2018, 13:37

Greasy Roads » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:37 am wrote:Image

New label, new format, new producer, new member. It was different yes, but at the time I'd have preferred more of the same. It's miraculous that the gruppe resisted the 12" format until this late stage. I was guilty of buying the 12" versions of singles religiously in the eighties but with hindsight this just gave everyone more room to noodle and produced bloody awful remixes and instrumentals whose only purpose in life seems to be padding out the CD reissues later, witness the instrumental on this one. John Leckie's production on Oh! Brother was far too clean for my taste, God-Box sounds loads better. Brix has the merest of cameos here. Overall not the most essential of releases, but nice to see John Fogarty get a credit.

The rollin', rollin', rollin' down the river chap?
Sonofsmegma
The Smegma Family

Post #90 - 24 Oct 2018, 14:26

Sonofsmegma » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:37 pm wrote:

"Rollin' ON the river", you thick cunt. :wanker:

Oh and it's Fogerty not Fogarty. :bang:
routemaster
On The Buses

Grade A triple platinum cunt Image

Post #91 - 24 Oct 2018, 14:49

Sonofsmegma » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:37 pm wrote:

That one's spelt with an 'e' but who knows?
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #92 - 30 Oct 2018, 08:25

The gruppe's next release saw Brix really getting into her stride contributing to a sound that was now very different to those early releases. Great intro with young Paul Hanley's keyboards. It's Pat-Trip Dispenser I love from this record though - time has not diminished the psychic nose. There are various different copies of this, something that was to get far, far worse later. I'd buy the black vinyl usually then if I saw another copy later going cheap I'd snap it up. As somebody mentioned on Twitter Claus Castenskiold's sleeve paintings on these Beggars 12" singles are worth the price of entry alone.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #93 - 30 Oct 2018, 09:42

Greasy Roads » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:25 am wrote:
The gruppe's next release saw Brix really getting into her stride contributing to a sound that was now very different to those early releases. Great intro with young Paul Hanley's keyboards.

A very different sound in as much as it was shit. He should never have set that bloody woman on. As for the keyboard, it should have been rammed sideways up the lad's arse. Kids in groups don't work, it was The Fall not fucking Musical Youth.
Chimp Priest
Members

Post #94 - 30 Oct 2018, 13:09

Chimp Priest » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:42 am wrote:
The gruppe's next release saw Brix really getting into her stride contributing to a sound that was now very different to those early releases. Great intro with young Paul Hanley's keyboards.

A very different sound in as much as it was shit. He should never have set that bloody woman on. As for the keyboard, it should have been rammed sideways up the lad's arse. Kids in groups don't work, it was The Fall not fucking Musical Youth.

You sir, are a cloth-eared twat. :huh:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #95 - 30 Oct 2018, 13:53

Greasy Roads » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:09 pm wrote:

Andy's quite right, The Fall were terrible during the Brix years. I'll thank you not to bad mouth other members who feel this way.
Connor
Site Admin

Post #96 - 30 Oct 2018, 16:00

Connor » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:53 pm wrote:
Greasy Roads » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:09 pm wrote:

Andy's quite right, The Fall were terrible during the Brix years. I'll thank you not to bad mouth other members who feel this way.

Bollocks Connor, Chimpers is talking out of his arse. Granted 'c.r.e.e.p.' was awful, but he reined her in after that and the Brix years were mostly brilliant. :huh:
routemaster
On The Buses

Grade A triple platinum cunt Image

Post #97 - 31 Oct 2018, 17:20

I've got the green vinyl 12" C.R.E.E.P. and the CD box set of TWAFWOTF containing those tracks. To be honest it's impossible to compare the two.

Unless I'm talking out of my arse of course.
Joan Con
Members

Post #98 - 31 Oct 2018, 19:28

Joan Con » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:20 pm wrote:I've got the green vinyl 12" C.R.E.E.P. and the CD box set of TWAFWOTF containing those tracks. To be honest it's impossible to compare the two.

Unless I'm talking out of my arse of course.

Your arse is the only orifice you ever talk out of. :grin:
High Telephone Line
Members

Post #99 - 06 Nov 2018, 11:23

The next release was Call For Escape Route, a 12" EP with initial copies having a free double A-sided 7" single. This is almost a crossover record from the original Fall to the new with Draygo's Guilt, Clear Off, and Slang King being the old and No Bulbs quite definitely being the new. I just love young Paul Hanley's keys on these records. John Leckie's getting the hang of it now as well, or was it Joe Gillingham's engineering? Whichever it doesn't sound as 'clean' as the previous releases. How come Grant Showbiz never did the singles? Who knows? I think I'll just put No Bulbs on again.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #100 - 06 Nov 2018, 12:47

Greasy Roads » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:23 am wrote: How come Grant Showbiz never did the singles? Who knows?

Grant Showbiz produced There's A Ghost In My House and Susan Vs Youthclub, and co-produced High Tension Line with MES. You will be able to use my research of this in your future posts, but be sure I'm credited for this information.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Fallen Related Discussion