View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 The Fall on 45 ; keep on turning in your mind

Post #61 - 03 Oct 2018, 08:33

routemaster » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:28 pm wrote:
Greasy Roads » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:02 am wrote:
Unfortunately they were the wrong words as I thought he was saying, "Sounds like Hitler"

Erm, me too. :yes:

Well "Sounds like hick wap huh" makes no fucking sense anyway. :rolleyes:

It's like dealing with fucking idiots, there's a clue on the sleeve.

Joan Con
Members

Post #62 - 03 Oct 2018, 09:18

Joan Con » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:33 am wrote:
routemaster » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:28 pm wrote:
Greasy Roads » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:02 am wrote:
Unfortunately they were the wrong words as I thought he was saying, "Sounds like Hitler"

Erm, me too. :yes:

Well "Sounds like hick wap huh" makes no fucking sense anyway. :rolleyes:

It's like dealing with fucking idiots, there's a clue on the sleeve.

I heard it on the radio before the record was released you thick cunt. :angry:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #63 - 09 Oct 2018, 07:14

The Fall's second 45 of 1983 was that rarest of beasts, a double single. Great packaging where MES's sleeve note repertoire has expanded to included cod Dutch as well as cod German. And the music: not much evidence of Brix as yet but plenty of evidence of the rhythm section of child prodigy Paul Hanley and big brother Steve. If I was being really picky it's slightly overlong for a single A side but the perfect B side Wings more than makes up for this. The second disc has really early examples of releasing BBC sessions, in this case Container Drivers and New Puritan. I've no recollection of how much they were knocking these out for, but whatever it was it was a bargain.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #64 - 09 Oct 2018, 20:29

Greasy Roads » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:14 am wrote: And the music: not much evidence of Brix as yet

Well hardly fucking surprising being as she didn't feature on either Kicker Conspiracy or Wings, she just swanned around in the video. Bad move setting that bloody woman on, they were showing some promise before she came on the scene.
Chimp Priest
Members

Post #65 - 09 Oct 2018, 20:47

Chimp Priest » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:29 pm wrote:
Greasy Roads » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:14 am wrote: And the music: not much evidence of Brix as yet

Well hardly fucking surprising being as she didn't feature on either Kicker Conspiracy or Wings, she just swanned around in the video. Bad move setting that bloody woman on, they were showing some promise before she came on the scene.

I always assumed she was as she was in the video. I can't be arsed to Google shit like that, doesn't make it sound any different. :huh:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #66 - 09 Oct 2018, 20:55

Greasy Roads » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:47 pm wrote:

I always assumed she was as she was in the video. I can't be arsed to Google shit like that, doesn't make it sound any different. :huh:

I'm with Andy on this one, what MES was thinking of employing the wife is beyond me. And Greasy Roads will do well to keep her contributions brief if he wants his thread left open.
Connor
Site Admin

Post #67 - 09 Oct 2018, 21:10

Connor » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:55 pm wrote:
Greasy Roads » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:47 pm wrote:

I'm with Andy on this one, what MES was thinking of employing the wife is beyond me. And Greasy Roads will do well to keep her contributions brief if he wants his thread left open.

Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #68 - 10 Oct 2018, 21:43

Greasy Roads » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:14 am wrote: I've no recollection of how much they were knocking these out for, but whatever it was it was a bargain.

About a quid, u skinny rat. :grin:
Country Bloke
Members

Post #69 - 11 Oct 2018, 08:29

Country Bloke » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:43 pm wrote:
Greasy Roads » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:14 am wrote: I've no recollection of how much they were knocking these out for, but whatever it was it was a bargain.

I have just been through 712 copies of the NME, Sounds, and Melody Maker from around that time. The arithmetic mean of the advertised single prices was 102.5 pence. Allowing that Rough Trade would charge 50% more for a double single I can state with 95% certainty that Kicker Conspiracy would have retailed for 153.75 pence.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #70 - 11 Oct 2018, 13:13

dannynomates » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:29 am wrote:

I have just been through 712 copies of the NME, Sounds, and Melody Maker from around that time. The arithmetic mean of the advertised single prices was 102.5 pence. Allowing that Rough Trade would charge 50% more for a double single I can state with 95% certainty that Kicker Conspiracy would have retailed for 153.75 pence.

Dan

Well I can state with 100% certainty that you're talking out of your fucking arse. It's true the halfpenny was still in circulation in 1983, but the farthing went out in 1969, so 153.75 pence would be impossible by that time. :grin:
High Telephone Line
Members

Post #71 - 11 Oct 2018, 15:29

High Telephone Line » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:13 pm wrote:

Dan

Well I can state with 100% certainty that you're talking out of your fucking arse. It's true the halfpenny was still in circulation in 1983, but the farthing went out in 1969, so 153.75 pence would be impossible by that time. :grin:

Although I can see nothing per se to warn you about here, I've noted that you've attempted to contradict me and I'll hold a grudge against you forever.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #72 - 11 Oct 2018, 15:40

dannynomates » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:29 pm wrote:

Dan

Although I can see nothing per se to warn you about here, I've noted that you've attempted to contradict me and I'll hold a grudge against you forever.

Dan

I've not contradicted you, I've proved you wrong, you cunt. :grin:
High Telephone Line
Members

Post #73 - 11 Oct 2018, 18:28

High Telephone Line » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:40 pm wrote:
dannynomates » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:29 pm wrote:

Dan

Dan

I've not contradicted you, I've proved you wrong, you cunt. :grin:

You just wait until you die, I won't pin your obituary thread.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #74 - 15 Oct 2018, 21:29

Any more of these Greasy Roads? I do prefer routemaster's but yours are very good too. :wub:
Amber
Members

Post #75 - 16 Oct 2018, 06:46

Here we go Amber. I didn't buy this at the time in fact I don't think I was even aware it had been released. Kamera records either went bust or were ordered by the gruppe to rapidly withdraw it, depending upon which version of the story you read. I feel ambivalent about this one: both tracks were on the album which is a big no no from me; it has that horrible shiny silver Kamera label so looks crap on the turntable; on the other hand Marquis Cha Cha is a fucking great track, way up in the pantheon of great Fall singles. No Paul Hanley on this one, he was being measured for his first long trousers or something, so it's a Burns/S. Hanley rhythm section and a really top vocal from MES. A Porky Prime cut as well so it sounds great - the b side's etched "Give us room to live sack John Bond" advice the BBC should have taken as he was the worst pundit ever.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #76 - 16 Oct 2018, 08:48

Greasy Roads » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:46 am wrote: I feel ambivalent about this one: both tracks were on the album which is a big no no from me; <snip> on the other hand Marquis Cha Cha is a fucking great track,

This makes no sense. If you were annoyed that both tracks were on the album, why buy the thing in the first place? You sound like one of those people with that appalling obsession with physical product. Of the song itself, I agree it is a very good Fall number, however I note that the original LP version clocks in at 4m 15s while the single mix which I downloaded to my computer from the Backdrop compilation is longer at 4m 31s. Can you tell me if there is any discernible difference between the two, apart from the length of the track? From memory I can't hear anything that sets one off from the other. I'd research it myself but my busy lifestyle doesn't allow me the time.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #77 - 16 Oct 2018, 08:57

dannynomates » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:48 am wrote:
Greasy Roads » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:46 am wrote: I feel ambivalent about this one: both tracks were on the album which is a big no no from me; <snip> on the other hand Marquis Cha Cha is a fucking great track,

This makes no sense. If you were annoyed that both tracks were on the album, why buy the thing in the first place? You sound like one of those people with that appalling obsession with physical product. Of the song itself, I agree it is a very good Fall number, however I note that the original LP version clocks in at 4m 15s while the single mix which I downloaded to my computer from the Backdrop compilation is longer at 4m 31s. Can you tell me if there is any discernible difference between the two, apart from the length of the track? From memory I can't hear anything that sets one off from the other. I'd research it myself but my busy lifestyle doesn't allow me the time.

Dan

I bought it because I saw it and it's The Fall and I had to own it. I really can't be bothered to time both it and the LP version and note any differences - that's not what it's about at all.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #78 - 16 Oct 2018, 08:58

Greasy Roads » Today, 07:46 wrote:[ on the other hand Marquis Cha Cha is a fucking great track, way up in the pantheon of great Fall singles.

woah!! what's this? in the last review of kicker conspiracy, you clearly stated that in your opinion (which is bollocks incidently) that song at 4m 21s was a tad overlong for a single, also you had an earlier pop at routemaster who'd suggested i'm into cb would have been a better choice for an a-side than look know for similar reasons. yet here you are waxing all fucking lyrical about how marvellous a single this one is when it is clearly 10 seconds longer than kicker conspiracy! your reviews aren't worth the time of day you senile old cunt. :angry:
AsifFromHell
Members

Post #79 - 16 Oct 2018, 09:10

AsifFromHell » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:58 am wrote:
Greasy Roads » Today, 07:46 wrote:[ on the other hand Marquis Cha Cha is a fucking great track, way up in the pantheon of great Fall singles.

woah!! what's this? in the last review of kicker conspiracy, you clearly stated that in your opinion (which is bollocks incidently) that song at 4m 21s was a tad overlong for a single, also you had an earlier pop at routemaster who'd suggested i'm into cb would have been a better choice for an a-side than look know for similar reasons. yet here you are waxing all fucking lyrical about how marvellous a single this one is when it is clearly 10 seconds longer than kicker conspiracy! your reviews aren't worth the time of day you senile old cunt. :angry:

Well Asif, I'm a firm believer that if musicians were told that they couldn't exceed 3 minutes for a track on pain of having their families shot, they'd make much better records. The more time they're allowed the more they start to noodle. Listen to something like the Ann Peebles anthology: on the early tracks Teenie Hodges belts out six note guitar solos which are just perfect; later he's got too much time and it all becomes diluted. This is a theme I'll certainly return to in this thread as a spanner is just about to be thrown into the works.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #80 - 16 Oct 2018, 09:22

Greasy Roads » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:57 am wrote:
dannynomates » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:48 am wrote:

Dan

I bought it because I saw it and it's The Fall and I had to own it. I really can't be bothered to time both it and the LP version and note any differences - that's not what it's about at all.

So you're saying because it's "The Fall", you have to own it. A quite ludicrous statement as all you can possibly "own" of "The Fall" is a piece of their plastic or a download. MES and his Granny on Bongos were "The Fall" but you can't own them. As usual your argument is a complete nonsense.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Fallen Related Discussion