View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 The Fall on 45 ; keep on turning in your mind

Post #41 - 11 Sep 2018, 21:00

routemaster » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:38 pm wrote:There's fuck all "throwaway" about Putta Block, it's a brilliantly constructed track. I love the mix of live and studio recordings, it worked very well imo. :clap:

It's not a single, which makes it a perfect B side. :huh:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #42 - 18 Sep 2018, 06:58

I thought this about a gambler on a speed downer until I got hold of the record. I'd always thought The Fall were really cutting edge until this point. The cover with its depiction of the Empress Ballroom gave away that this was about the allnighter in Wigan, although it did seem to be about a downer rather than the buzz for a change. Wigan had been over for fucking years when this was released, everybody fucked off after Wigan's Ovation were on TOTP and the coaches started arriving. And I'd first heard that line about losing weight at the weekend and putting it back on again about a decade before, in fact I'd said it myself. The music's still great though and it's yet another record label, something that would be now repeated ad infinitum. Was 'mein' misspelt on the cover deliberately? We will never know.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #43 - 22 Sep 2018, 22:32

I meant to reply to this, I never cared much for Lie Dream, not compared to the recent releases anyway, but the flip was typically awesome. Why the fuck wasn't Fantastic Life put out as the lead track? :rolleyes:

routemaster
On The Buses

Grade A triple platinum cunt Image

Post #44 - 24 Sep 2018, 07:42

routemaster » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:32 pm wrote:I meant to reply to this, I never cared much for Lie Dream, not compared to the recent releases anyway, but the flip was typically awesome. Why the fuck wasn't Fantastic Life put out as the lead track? :rolleyes:

Great side but at over 5 minutes it's too long to be a single, more of an album track for me.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #45 - 24 Sep 2018, 09:01

Greasy Roads » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:42 am wrote:
routemaster » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:32 pm wrote:I meant to reply to this, I never cared much for Lie Dream, not compared to the recent releases anyway, but the flip was typically awesome. Why the fuck wasn't Fantastic Life put out as the lead track? :rolleyes:

Great side but at over 5 minutes it's too long to be a single, more of an album track for me.

What bollocks, 'Bohemian Rhapsody' was over 6 minutes long and that was a huge hit. I think The Fall missed a chance with this one.
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #46 - 24 Sep 2018, 10:06

routemaster » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:01 am wrote:

What bollocks, 'Bohemian Rhapsody' was over 6 minutes long and that was a huge hit. I think The Fall missed a chance with this one.

Bohemian Rhapsody was not over 6 minutes long, it was 5 minutes and 55 seconds.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #47 - 24 Sep 2018, 10:12

dannynomates » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:06 am wrote:

Dan

I was including the run out groove you pedantic cunt. :grrr:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #48 - 24 Sep 2018, 12:23

routemaster » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:12 am wrote:

Dan

The record would technically go on for ever if you include the run out groove, or at least until the solar system ended in eight billion years' time. Or there was a power cut.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #49 - 24 Sep 2018, 12:48

dannynomates » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:23 pm wrote:

Dan

The record would technically go on for ever if you include the run out groove, or at least until the solar system ended in eight billion years' time. Or there was a power cut.

Dan

What a load of bollocks, the arm of the record player lifts off at the end of the run out groove so the record couldn't go on forever. :rolleyes:

However, the single 'I Am The Beat'by The Look had a unique feature at the end of the recording. The run-out groove was the song's last line and didn't "run out", "I am the beat!… the beat!… the beat!…," being repeated endlessly in perfect time until the needle was removed from the record. :huh:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #50 - 24 Sep 2018, 14:30

routemaster » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:48 pm wrote:

Dan

Dan

What a load of bollocks, the arm of the record player lifts off at the end of the run out groove so the record couldn't go on forever. :rolleyes:

However, the single 'I Am The Beat'by The Look had a unique feature at the end of the recording. The run-out groove was the song's last line and didn't "run out", "I am the beat!… the beat!… the beat!…," being repeated endlessly in perfect time until the needle was removed from the record. :huh:

It's only on cheap record decks that the arm lifts off at the end of the run out groove. This won't happen on hi-fi decks that most people have. The feature on the The Look record is far from unique: Sgt Pepper's had it for instance.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #51 - 24 Sep 2018, 14:57

dannynomates » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:30 pm wrote:

Dan

Dan

It's only on cheap record decks that the arm lifts off at the end of the run out groove. This won't happen on hi-fi decks that most people have. The feature on the The Look record is far from unique: Sgt Pepper's had it for instance.

Dan

What the fuck do you know about hi-fi decks, I thought all your music was digital? As for Sgt Pepper, I'm hardly going to know about that crap. :wanker:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #52 - 24 Sep 2018, 15:28

routemaster » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:57 pm wrote:

Dan

Dan

Dan

What the fuck do you know about hi-fi decks, I thought all your music was digital? As for Sgt Pepper, I'm hardly going to know about that crap. :wanker:

I know everything about hi-fi decks, everything on Google.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #53 - 24 Sep 2018, 23:12

dannynomates » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:28 pm wrote:
routemaster » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:57 pm wrote:

Dan

Dan

Dan

I know everything about hi-fi decks, everything on Google.

Dan

:wanker:
Sonofsmegma
The Smegma Family

Post #54 - 25 Sep 2018, 07:00

The madness continues. This one was a little different as the Boy Lard contributed vocals on the A side which seemed to be about getting dressed up to go out, or something. Different was good. The B side, I'm Into CB, reflected the current craze in the UK for CB radio as glorified in the charts by Dave Lee Travis. In retrospect with a couple of minutes lopped off it would have made a better A side although I didn't think that at the time. The Hanley brothers keep up an amazing standard on this run of releases. I think I'll play it again.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #55 - 25 Sep 2018, 14:11

Greasy Roads » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:00 am wrote: The Hanley brothers keep up an amazing standard on this run of releases.

Still reading your Twitter account are they? :grin:
High Telephone Line
Members

Post #56 - 25 Sep 2018, 14:50

High Telephone Line » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:11 pm wrote:
Greasy Roads » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:00 am wrote: The Hanley brothers keep up an amazing standard on this run of releases.

You never have a good word for anyone do you, you cunt? Greasy Roads is right, the Hanley's were bloody brilliant.
A Worthless Man
Members

Post #57 - 25 Sep 2018, 19:47

A Worthless Man » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:50 pm wrote:
High Telephone Line » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:11 pm wrote:

You never have a good word for anyone do you, you cunt? Greasy Roads is right, the Hanley's were bloody brilliant.

Still are.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #58 - 01 Oct 2018, 22:38

I was a bit rude to Greasy Roads this morning, this thread is very good though not as good as routemaster's. :wub:

Still better than that sheep shagger's one. :)

I would like to read some more, I think 'The Man Who's Head Expanded' is next? Ooh saucy.... :mutley:
Amber
Members

Post #59 - 02 Oct 2018, 07:02

Indeed it is Amber, thank you for your kind words. I first heard this just before the 1983 Isle of Man TT and as I was flying up the M6 on my trusty Katana the chorus was going round and round in my head and did all week. Unfortunately they were the wrong words as I thought he was saying, "Sounds like Hitler", which I still sing along to it to this day. When I got hold hold of it I was glad they'd ditched Kamera as the label always looked a bit too corporate to me, like Polydor or something. The song itself is right back to Smith's very best amphetamine ramblings and I know I keep going on about Hanley's bass but how good is this? Ludd gang's great too, so top marks for this one.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Happy Days!

Post #60 - 02 Oct 2018, 20:28

Greasy Roads » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:02 am wrote:
Unfortunately they were the wrong words as I thought he was saying, "Sounds like Hitler"

Erm, me too. :yes:

Well "Sounds like hick wap huh" makes no fucking sense anyway. :rolleyes:
routemaster
On The Buses

PreviousNext

Return to Fallen Related Discussion