View active topics THE FALL ONLINE FORUM

Forum led by: Connor, Hanley Went To Every Gig, Divveygoodmod, buzzliteyr, Del Boy, dannynomates
 The Fall on 45 ; keep on turning in your mind

Post #161 - 15 Jan 2019, 21:11

Peel Session 2 then, what a fucking slapdash slipshod excuse for a review, you didn't even give out the song titles. :wanker:

some of these radio sessions were better than the recorded works.

Peel Session 1 maybe, and 3, and 6 wasn't bad, and all the early 90's ones, but not this one. OK Mess Of My was unique to the session, and Put Away was nicer here with Yvonne's plinky plonk keyboards, and No Xmas For John Key / Like To Blow were blindingly great.....fuck this is good. :D

....sorry, can you get on with Hit The North, please? :grrr:
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #162 - 16 Jan 2019, 08:59

Steve70nearly » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:11 pm wrote:Peel Session 2 then, what a fucking slapdash slipshod excuse for a review, you didn't even give out the song titles. :wanker:

Peel Session 1 maybe, and 3, and 6 wasn't bad, and all the early 90's ones, but not this one. OK Mess Of My was unique to the session, and Put Away was nicer here with Yvonne's plinky plonk keyboards, and No Xmas For John Key / Like To Blow were blindingly great.....fuck this is good. :D

It'll take a couple to get back into it after Christmas you cunt. Hit The North isn't next, either. :wanker:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

World is turning, hope it don't turn away.

Post #163 - 16 Jan 2019, 11:52

Greasy Roads » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:59 am wrote:
Steve70nearly » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:11 pm wrote:Peel Session 2 then, what a fucking slapdash slipshod excuse for a review, you didn't even give out the song titles. :wanker:

It'll take a couple to get back into it after Christmas you cunt. Hit The North isn't next, either. :wanker:

HTN must be next.... unless.... you didn't buy that one, what a fucking lightweight. :devil:

If I start a project like this, I do it properly and see it through to the bitter end. :huh:
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #164 - 22 Jan 2019, 07:40

Bootleg single of what has been variously described as a home tape or something recorded in a rehearsal studio. I have no idea when or where I picked this up. The A side Dresden Dolls (Dresdon Dolls on the label) is one of the most 'punk' things you'll hear from the group. The same recording turned up again a few years later on the Backdrop CD. The B side of Psycho Mafia and Industrial Estate (More Songs From The Front Parlour on the label) is not as good quality as the A side. The whole thing reappears as a needle drop on the deluxe edition of Live At The Witch Trials. The rear sleeve says it's volume one of early rehearsals but there never was a volume two. I wonder if they had any more tapes?
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Post #165 - 22 Jan 2019, 20:16

Greasy Roads » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:40 am wrote: I wonder if they had any more tapes?

They must have rehearsed other songs so presumably other tapes would have been made. There's no guarantee they survived 40 odd years of course.

I'd love to hear the original version of Frightened that was removed from the Bingo Masters EP.
routemaster
On The Buses

Grade A triple platinum cunt Image

Post #166 - 29 Jan 2019, 09:58

This is where the multiple formats really went over the top: you needed to buy two 12" singles and one 7" to get all five mixes of Hit The North, plus the B side Australians In Europe and the fucking remix of that. And a fucking picture disc. And you know what? They could have put HTN Part 1 and AIE on just the 7" and I'd have been perfectly happy: neither track was on on an album, Hit The North is great; why bother with the rest of the bollocks? People seem to just spend the time listening for little things rather than the music. Like the bit of Blue Jay Way at the end of Hit The North Part 2. Nice picture of the group on the inside of the gatefold mind.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Post #167 - 29 Jan 2019, 11:08

Greasy Roads » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:58 am wrote:Image

This is where the multiple formats really went over the top: you needed to buy two 12" singles and one 7" to get all five mixes of Hit The North, plus the B side Australians In Europe and the fucking remix of that. And a fucking picture disc. And you know what? They could have put HTN Part 1 and AIE on just the 7" and I'd have been perfectly happy: neither track was on on an album, Hit The North is great; why bother with the rest of the bollocks? People seem to just spend the time listening for little things rather than the music. Like the bit of Blue Jay Way at the end of Hit The North Part 2. Nice picture of the group on the inside of the gatefold mind.

If these review threads are going to descend into yet more ill feeling and disharmony, I will take action.

Warning to Greasy Roads for excessive profanity.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

Post #168 - 29 Jan 2019, 13:00

FFS. :grrr:
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Post #169 - 29 Jan 2019, 21:48

Greasy Roads » Today, 09:58 wrote:
This is where the multiple formats really went over the top: you needed to buy two 12" singles and one 7" to get all five mixes of Hit The North,

There was actually a sixth mix, the 'Double Six Mix' that was available on cassette only.

I don't care for all this cutting bits out and adding bits on, personally.
thesnippedpriestess
Members

Post #170 - 29 Jan 2019, 21:53

thesnippedpriestess » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:48 pm wrote:
This is where the multiple formats really went over the top: you needed to buy two 12" singles and one 7" to get all five mixes of Hit The North,

There was actually a sixth mix, the 'Double Six Mix' that was available on cassette only.

I can't believe I missed that bit. :(
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Post #171 - 29 Jan 2019, 22:04

Greasy Roads » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:53 pm wrote:
thesnippedpriestess » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:48 pm wrote:

I can't believe I missed that bit. :(

It's all over Twitter. :laugh:

Steve70nearly
Members

Post #172 - 29 Jan 2019, 22:07

I didn't want to say the it's The Fall On 45 and not cassette and call him a cunt 'cos his poor dog's very sick. :(
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Post #173 - 29 Jan 2019, 22:33

Greasy Roads » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:07 pm wrote:I didn't want to say the it's The Fall On 45 and not cassette and call him a cunt 'cos his poor dog's very sick. :(

Probably what caused Skippy Vinyl's outburst, I'm sure he didn't mean it. :(

Steve70something should hang his head in shame posting that, the heartless cunt. :angry:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #174 - 05 Feb 2019, 09:31

Bit of an epic this week with Victoria so bear with me. The 12" has four tracks: Victoria, Guest Informant, Tuff Life Boogie, and Twister. The 7" box set has two singles Victoria b/w Tuff Life Boogie and Bremen Nacht Run Out b/w Mark'll Sink Us. The second single is Fall 1 which was the bonus 7" included with initial copies of the Frenz Experiment. In addition to the vinyl the box set contained two lyric sheets one for Spoilt Victorian Child and one for In These Times neither of which appeared in any form on any release of Victoria. There's also a flyer advertising the newly formed Cog Sinister Records and the Fall Fan Club. And if that lot wasn't enough there's a cheap plastic Victoria Cross, the sort of thing that Elvischomsky would have loved. Oh yes, there's the music. Victoria's one of the better Fall covers and the rest of it is a great incarnation of the group at the peak of their powers. I've got shorter LPs than the length of all it to be honest, so I won't bore you with my opinion of all the tracks, they're all on youTube.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Post #175 - 05 Feb 2019, 10:31

Greasy Roads » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:31 am wrote: The 7" box set has two singles Victoria b/w Tuff Life Boogie and Bremen Nacht Run Out b/w Mark'll Sink Us. The second single is Fall 1 which was the bonus 7" included with initial copies of the Frenz Experiment.

Mark'll Sink Us is a live version from 1987, although it doesn't say so on the label. All is revealed when it appears on the 458489 and Backdrop comps, but they still don't say where it was recorded. For anyone wanting a bit more detail. :grin:
Country Bloke
Members

Post #176 - 05 Feb 2019, 10:51

Greasy Roads » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:31 am wrote: I won't bore you with my opinion of all the tracks,

I wish routemaster would adopt this approach. :clap:
Steve70nearly
Members

Post #177 - 05 Feb 2019, 11:38

Steve70nearly » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:51 am wrote:
Greasy Roads » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:31 am wrote: I won't bore you with my opinion of all the tracks,

I wish routemaster would adopt this approach. :clap:

This from the tedious cunt who harps on about chord progressions and alternative lyrics in live versions. :grrr:
routemaster
On The Buses

Post #178 - 12 Feb 2019, 08:08

Jerusalem complicated formats even further by being the first issued on CD, in that 3" CD format that was impossible to play on the old style CD players without an adaptor. This was a right pain in the arse which I won't discuss here as it's not a 45. I thought I had the 12" but if I had I can't find it anywhere.* What I do have is the box set twin 7" limited edition jobby. This is the second legit Fall single that also appeared on a contemporary album which is always a let down. It became more and more common after this. Great record though, Jerusalem, Big New Prinz, and Wrong Place Right Time were live staples for many years in Fall terms, at least three in fact. Production duties were shared between Clive Barton and the ubiquitous at the time Ian Broudie.

* There wasn't one, I've checked.
Greasy Roads
Country Member

Post #179 - 12 Feb 2019, 11:08

routemaster » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:33 pm wrote:
Greasy Roads » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:07 pm wrote:I didn't want to say the it's The Fall On 45 and not cassette and call him a cunt 'cos his poor dog's very sick. :(

Probably what caused Skippy Vinyl's outburst, I'm sure he didn't mean it. :(

Steve70something should hang his head in shame posting that, the heartless cunt. :angry:

What came over Skippy Vinyls? He's normally quite polite.
:grin:

the3points
Members

Post #180 - 12 Feb 2019, 12:05

Skippy Vinyls has also commented on this latest post via Twitter. I do wish he wouldn't. I like to show off my knowledge of all things Fall on my forum, on this case that a 12" promo was issued featuring Big New Prinz and Wrong Place Right Time, catalogue number Fall4T. But of course Skippy Vinyls has got in first again. I may get Connor to remove the Twitter feed.

Dan
dannynomates
Chief Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Fallen Related Discussion

Website Security Test